Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stainless steel slide racker in aluminum slide?

Archaea

I have in my future a .22lr 1911 conversion unit by Chet at CWAccessories, and I plan to add a slide racker to it. However, the CWA slide is 7075 aluminum, and the slide racker I'm looking at is stainless (infinity tall boy or zig or something, haven't decided yet).

I assume the difference in material strength and toughness might pose a problem long-term? I don't want my dovetail to be slowly egged out by enthusiastic racking. If anyone has any experience with steel parts in aluminum slides it would be appreciated!

Thanks

I seriously doubt it will be an issue.  Even is you are going to shoot Eley Force with the extra power recoil spring, the slide is quite easy to rack.  So you will not be stressing the slide.  7075 is tough stuff.

Personally, I would not add a racker.  It will add weight and you might have to go with a lighter recoil spring.

29 minutes ago, zzt said:

I seriously doubt it will be an issue.  Even is you are going to shoot Eley Force with the extra power recoil spring, the slide is quite easy to rack.  So you will not be stressing the slide.  7075 is tough stuff.

Personally, I would not add a racker.  It will add weight and you might have to go with a lighter recoil spring.

True, the weight may impact reliability. I'll have to see how easy it is to rack with my frame mounted dot before committing to a racker or not for sure. 

1 hour ago, Archaea said:

True, the weight may impact reliability. I'll have to see how easy it is to rack with my frame mounted dot before committing to a racker or not for sure. 

You will have zero issues racking the slide with a frame mount.  I have four Open guns.  Three have no racker; the fourth has a Brazos zig racker.  I don't like it.  It is slower and requires more force, because you are not pulling straight back.  I often remove it and leave it in the bag.  As far as I'm concerned the only use is to prop the gun up for unloaded table starts.  That is the only time it is useful.

My CWA Custom is currently on a 1911 45 receiver.  The dot is slide mounted.  I'm currently toying with the idea of going to a frame mount with thumb rest so the grip and sight height will be the same as the other three guns.

6 minutes ago, zzt said:

You will have zero issues racking the slide with a frame mount.  I have four Open guns.  Three have no racker; the fourth has a Brazos zig racker.  I don't like it.  It is slower and requires more force, because you are not pulling straight back.  I often remove it and leave it in the bag.  As far as I'm concerned the only use is to prop the gun up for unloaded table starts.  That is the only time it is useful.

My CWA Custom is currently on a 1911 45 receiver.  The dot is slide mounted.  I'm currently toying with the idea of going to a frame mount with thumb rest so the grip and sight height will be the same as the other three guns.

Ok sounds like I don't need one then; thanks for the insight. 

Chet says my slide includes a new design change with a steel pin where the slide stop notch is. Will help with peening. Can't wait to shoot it! 

1 hour ago, Archaea said:

Ok sounds like I don't need one then; thanks for the insight. 

Chet says my slide includes a new design change with a steel pin where the slide stop notch is. Will help with peening. Can't wait to shoot it! 

You should never be at slide lock in Steel Challenge.  If you are that string is blown.

3 hours ago, zzt said:

You should never be at slide lock in Steel Challenge.  If you are that string is blown.

Haha oh this isn't for steel challenge; I just came here to ask about slide rackers since most forums just look at you funny if you bring them up. It's going to be a very specifically configured plinker to meet my needs.

30 minutes ago, Archaea said:

Haha oh this isn't for steel challenge; I just came here to ask about slide rackers since most forums just look at you funny if you bring them up. It's going to be a very specifically configured plinker to meet my needs.

Well, you are going to end up with a super accurate, runs 100% plinker.  Good luck with it.  Hope you get it soon.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Keep an eye on it for corrosion. Aluminum touching stainless + chlorides (sweat) = uh oh. If the slide is milled to accept the racker and neither is anodized or painted to prevent metal to metal contact then you may have issues.