Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Brass tarnish - send it or not?

d3ydx3

I had some muddy range pickup brass that sat in a container for a few weeks waiting to be cleaned. Made the mistake of putting the lid on, which sealed in the moisture. Took the lid off a couple of days ago and there appeared to be a thickish black substance on the majority of the cases, which I'm assuming is corrosion. Here's what a case looks like after 5-6 hours of dry tumbling. The black spots are smooth with the rest of the brass. Send or no?

IMG_1143.thumb.jpg.14c041a501633bd427a6345dfde218e2.jpg

42 minutes ago, pealandco said:

I had some muddy range pickup brass that sat in a container for a few weeks waiting to be cleaned. Made the mistake of putting the lid on, which sealed in the moisture. Took the lid off a couple of days ago and there appeared to be a thickish black substance on the majority of the cases, which I'm assuming is corrosion. Here's what a case looks like after 5-6 hours of dry tumbling. The black spots are smooth with the rest of the brass. Send or no?

IMG_1143.thumb.jpg.14c041a501633bd427a6345dfde218e2.jpg

Send it.

That stuff is cosmetic and irrelevant.

Probably a reaction from the container, moisture and spent powder residue. Wouldn’t have been a coffee can by chance? Like the others said, SS pin it and reload even if it all doesn’t come off.