Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help removing barrel bushing from a SP-01 Shadow slide

Endall

I have a 10X bushing for my Shadow. Decided to install. But original bushing is flush with the slide ID. Very tight crack. 

I installed one in a PCR many years ago, but there was an upset to push against. 

Before pounding it out, is their an easy way to remove?

2 hours ago, GrumpyOne said:

Have you looked at the instructions from CGW?

I used them when doing the PCR, many years ago. Could not locate them.

Removed the pun very easily. As tight as the stock bushing fits the pin is for looks.

1 minute ago, Endall said:

Removed the pun very easily. As tight as the stock bushing fits the pin is for looks.

You haven't worked on many CZs.  Sometimes the pin is all that holds it in.

5 hours ago, zzt said:

You haven't worked on many CZs.  Sometimes the pin is all that holds it in.

PCR was first and only CZ I have removed a barrel bushing on. It came out easy. 

The Shadow bushing feels and looks flush. Will try some sockets to knock it loose.

Drive out the front sight pin (holds in the front sight and the bushing.

Use an 11MM 1/4" socket against the inside/back of the bushing in the slide with a 1/4" extension as the driver (hit it with a hammer after securing the slide).

I just use my left hand to hold the upside down slide (palm down) with my thumb holding the extension against the palm/trigger finger of the left hand.  Hit the end of the extension hard enough to move the bushing.  Once it starts to move it gets easier.

Only done a couple.  Only two of mine shot groups that looked like a bushing would help them.

Whacked it out. You are right, an 11 mm socket worked. A 7/16 was a little too small. 

The chrome plating was missing on some of the bushing. May be why it was so tough to knock out. Used a 12” wobble extension and was up to the third hammer before it came free.

A big thanks for the great tips. The lip to push against is very slim. It took several knocks with the short handled sledge to get it moving. Left some loose chrome plating in the slide 😒

The CGW 10X bushing fit perfect. Requires rotating and wiggling to install or remove. Any tighter would require fitting.

Headed to range once the rain stops to see if I shoot better. Most my guns are better shooters than I am.

Bushing had been laying around for several years. Wanted a TS 2. Talked myself into installing the bushing a in Shadow SA instead.

Just put a CGW 10X bushing on my CZ75 SP01 with a threaded barrel. Couldn't knock out the bushing like you did because the threaded barrel will not come out without removing the bushing first. Managed to work it out from the front and installed the new bushing by seating it with a socket. Shoots great. Hopefully the rain will stop.

gerritm

1 hour ago, gerritm said:

. Managed to work it out from the front and installed the new bushing by seating it with a socket. Shoots great. Hopefully the rain will stop.

gerritm

I thought I wanted a threaded barrel 9mm. Did not know bushing has to come out to remove barrel.

The factory bushing was corroded where the chrome had flaked off. Not sure why. Looked like the exposure was long term. 

Really glad it is out.

Mine looked good, wasn't sure how many rounds were on it. Was still plenty accurate. Just wanted to make sure. I coated the new one with light coat of hi-temp grease to make sure it would come out in the future. 

gerritm

Made it down to PSC and ran through a 100 rounds for target practice. Could not wait for the rain to stop.

Did seem to tighten up the spread. Very happy with the CGW 10X.

The standard CZ bushings are soft.  My TS shot one hole groups at 15 yards offhand when new.  After many, many rounds that loosened up to 1.5". When I removed the bushing and measured the ID was .003" larger than the OD of the barrel.  Installing the 10x returned the groups to one hole.  On another slide I had a machinist buddy make me a bushing out of hardened tool steel.  That one was fantastic.  Actually, the second one was.  The first one fit so tightly the barrel would not go in.