Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Specific Weight Training Ideas?

AggieMM

I'm looking for ideas on specific exercises (weights) to help with competitive shooting. I'm not interested in bulking up, just want to improve my shooting. Here's my current situation and plan.

Current Competitions: IDPA

Want to expand to: 3-Gun, Carbine

Goals: Improve speed, dexterity, sight/target recognition

Current Cardio: Swim 1500 meters 3-4 times a week (average time 29m25s)

I've read several posts in this group, but most appear to be trying to bulk up, build mass. I'm currently not interested in that path. I think I have a handle on the cardio, which is helping with upper body fitness, as I've noticed a difference. Just wondering if I can add some weights to help?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Ryan

I'd recommend a "tailored" cross-fit style conditioning program. All-around functional and general physical preparedness. Won't bulk you up, but will make you leaner, more flexible, stronger, faster, etc. Cross-fit is at www.crossfit.com. Mostly free advice on general physical conditioning.

Chaps 1

I'm sorry, but every time I hear someone say they are concerned about adding too much muscle I have to laugh . Unless you are the the lucky one-in-a-million, you won't have to worry about adding too much muscle.

Combined with your current cardio workout, any decent bodybuilding workout should serve your needs. You'll end up with stronger tendons and ligaments, be less prone to injury, and will probably add 8-10 pounds of muscle in the first year.

Most modern weight training workouts hit each muscle group once or twice a week. The days you train can be split all sorts of ways. On average you will train two to four days per week. There are a bunch of good workouts on the internet.

Believe me, after the first year or two most people have to train like a madman and eat like a horse to pack on extra muscle ( unless they take drugs to help).

Good point, I guess I used the wrong terminology. What I meant was that my goal is not to "bulk" up, but to improve overall fitness, and work on the muscles used in shooting sports. If I gain a little mass, I'm ok with that. :)

I have an appointment with a fitness trainer on Friday at my gym. On the questioneer, it has what sports do you want to train for? I put shooting sports, but not sure if the trainer understood that. What other sports should I mention that would be equivalent to IDPA/etc.

Thanks.

AggieMM,

Your cardio workouts will help with general conditioning.

However it sounds like you want a weight training program that is specifically tailored to this sport.

Allow me to suggest that you pay particular attention to the lower body (Legs and Abdomen).

I say this because movement plays such an important part to the sport.

We stand, shoot, launch into a full run, stop on a dime.

We are constantly using lower body strength to get into and out of kneeling, squatting and reclining positions.

This because we shoot under obstacles, through barrels, start reclined, move under cooper tunnels, etc.

IPSC requires you to use every part of your body (especially the part between your ears).

However if you want to be specific, work on your legs and abs.

Tls

First, a good deal of squats (as seen in video on cross fit website) not really a lot of weight, but exploding. You NEED sprints, start, stop etc. Then you need a good strong grip, some simple grippers will surfice, i like the trainer from "captains of crush" and work your way up ( i believe the site is www.ironminds.com Now working out way to the middle, some pushup ability is required. this builds strength to launch your self from some goofy assed start positions. also helps to PUSH the gun out not so much with speed but smoothness. if you do Diamond (hands in a diamont in front of chest) pushups

Last but most importabtly, Core strength, abs, back hips including leg lifts, crunches, knee ups, side bends, twisting. all of the cross fit ab exercises are awesome. Exploding up from position etc.

another tip on your running, do it in your cleats on similar surfaces to that which you shoot.

Don't worry about bulk, but i would suplement some protien for recovery. to keep from "bulking" as you put it, don't use such heavy weights, higher reps of lighter weights is much better for toning and endurance.

I have to co-sign what Steve is saying about the "Captains of Crush". I've worked up to the #2 gripper (190lbs) and am working on the #3 (280lbs).

With regards to weight training, I've actually gotten away from weights and gone to strict body weight training. I find it gives me more flexibility and just as much "functional" strength without all the injuries associated with weight training. I picked up Matt Furey's book "Combat Conditioning" (http://www.mattfurey.com) last year and it has completely changed my outlook on weight training.

I have to co-sign what Steve is saying about the "Captains of Crush". I've worked up to the #2 gripper (190lbs) and am working on the #3 (280lbs).

With regards to weight training, I've actually gotten away from weights and gone to strict body weight training. I find it gives me more flexibility and just as much "functional" strength without all the injuries associated with weight training. I picked up Matt Furey's book "Combat Conditioning" (http://www.mattfurey.com) last year and it has completely changed my outlook on weight training.

Good job on the #2 gripper. I can close the #1 but I'm not anywhere near closing the #2. (For those interested, even the #0 is much more difficult than the typical plastic handled gripper you might find at Wal-Mart.)

Scott Warren taught our class a neat trick. Take a gripper, invert it, close it using your palm and bottom three fingers. Now practice working your index finger as if you were pressing the trigger. You can teach yourself to move the trigger finger independently while still maintaining a strong grip. (That may be an old trick, but I figured I should give him credit.)

Leozinho Posted Today, 05:00 PM

QUOTE(DKOL @ Nov 9 2005, 01:35 PM)

Good job on the #2 gripper. I can close the #1 but I'm not anywhere near closing the #2. (For those interested, even the #0 is much more difficult than the typical plastic handled gripper you might find at Wal-Mart.)

You guys are gorillas :D

I have recently rededicated myself to more grip work. I can do 13 or so reps with the trainer and hope to move up to the # 1 soon.

I can close the # 1 but now do any meaningful work

James

Edited by ong45

When working with the grippers be sure to use the proper technique or you can cause some real "interesting" injuries.

Also, don't forget to work the counter muscles. The power bands that Ironmind sells are great but expensive for what you get. Multiple heavy rubber bands can do the same thing.

If you work too much on grip and not enough on extension you risk having tendonitis problems.

I have found that a good regimen of grippers and the power bands has all but eliminated my tendonitis.

kimel Posted Yesterday, 08:25 PM

When working with the grippers be sure to use the proper technique or you can cause some real "interesting" injuries.

Kimel,

Could you elaborate more on proper technique? what about reps?

James

Sure.

Keep your wrists straight. Some people will try to curl the wrist when using the grippers and this can lead to some unpleasant straining of the wrist.

Warm up! If you grab the highest tension gripper you have and force a couple reps you will probably be looking for the ice and ibuprofen. Maybe even a doctor.

Reps kind of depend on the person. I start with the "T" (Trainer) and do 5 reps on each hand. Then I do 10 reps on each hand. Then I do 20 reps on each hand.

I then go to the #1 and repeat the above sequence (well, that is my goal....haven't made the full 20 on the #1 for the left hand, yet).

Now cool down. Another 5 reps on the "T" for each hand twice.

Then I switch to the power bands. Same regimen for those. I found that I quickly overcame the resistance of even their strongest band so I started doubling them up. But you still want to warm up with a lighter band before progressing.

An office mate of mine is a University coach for field throwing events and he is the one that got me started on this stuff. He also recommends working on "pinch" strength.

Thumb and forefinger on a gripper (gripper upside down). He can close and hold a #1 this way. I can kind of close a "T". I worry about this causing issues with trigger finger stuff so I don't do this much.

Grippers can be used in several ways. You can go just for closure strength which means close, release, close rapidly or you can go for holding power. Close, hold closed for some count, release, repeat.

I don't want to crush walnuts, I want to hold the blaster firmly for a "long" time. So, I tend to close and hold for as long as I comfortably can and then release.

I don't really plan to move up to a #2 or higher. Again, not looking to crush walnuts...or the plastic grips on the blaster.

Hope that helps.

haha. crushing walnuts is childs play my friend. i could do that long before the number 2 gripper.. now bursting an unopened can of soda... that's a sweet trick can't wait to do that!

It's all fun and games until you crush the grip of your glock...or are you shooting Berrettas these days?

yes i shoot berettas now.never could get glock to fit my hand quite right... LoL what's funny is that i CAN squeeze a glock hard enough to keep the mags from dropping free.

I've done the same thing with an STI...

I need to correct myself. What I called the "0" model is actually the "T". So the "T" is the lightest, but still stronger than those plastic handled gripper. (I realized my mistake after reading the other posts.)

Sorry 'bout that.

There are actually a couple even lighter models now. One approximates the whimpy Sporting Goods store plastic handled cheapies (40# I think) only of MUCH higher quality.

I am about to buy a second T to leave on my desk at work for "stress reduction". I have been hauling it back and forth in my briefcase but keep forgetting the dang thing.

These things are not that expensive. Why anyone would mess with the plastic handled cheapies is beyond me.