Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gen 5 G34 Tungsten guide rod problem

Jory45acp

Just received my Uncaptured pure tungsten guide rod with 13lb spring from Glockstore and installed it. When I pull the trigger the barrel makes a slight drop movement and the slide can be seen moving rearward as the trigger is pulled. The trigger will then break.  This is NIB gun with no modes except change in the guide rod as mentioned. I'm no Glock mechanic so what is going on here? Replacing The factory spring shows no movement in barrel or slide during trigger pull. Can some of you Glock wizards offer insight as to what the problem is and or solutions. By solutions I do not mean telling me to throw this in garbage and get something else. The money is spent and cannot be undone. Any insight is appreciated. 

No way around it. It’s a striker fired pistol. When you pull the trigger, the cruciform pushes the striker back, pushing the rear of the slide up slightly. Insert a loaded mag (recommend snapcaps or used brass) to put pressure on the slide as if it was actually cycling when shooting. You’ll notice the slide slop goes away.

with the stock striker spring and the light 13lb recoil spring there is an imbalance with the striker spring winning the tug of war. Either put a heavier recoil spring on the guide rod or change out the striker spring to the 4.5 lb version. When you pull the trigger and the cuciform goes rearward the slide should not move front to back. It is normal to see the slide move down toward the grip when the trigger is pulled but in my experience the 13lb spring that comes with that guide rod is more like an 11 lb spring than a 13.

Hello, the Glock Store spring that comes with their guide rod is shorter than the ISMI 13lb recoil spring by about 3/4". So if you are using it in a Gen 5 which takes a longer guide rod you will have less installed pressure. If I was you I would return it and get a Jentra tungsten rod with a Wolff 13lb or 14lb recoil spring. It comes with a 16lb. Yes, the Gen 3 rod will work in the Gen 5 but you will also need the adapter that goes in the slide. The Jager hardened steel guide rods are very good also and they make one for ISMI springs and Gen 5. Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric

Thx for all the replies. I have tried inserting a loaded mag with snap caps and the movement all but disappeared. I have looked and read on the website from Glockstore and found no information about any adapter needed to run their spring. It is a guide rod/spring package sold together. The spring is quite large and just barely fits the shallow recess in the nose of the slide, so it's certainly under good compression and not loose once installed. I'll look up the Jentra and make a decision this week while I'm still in the window for return. I appreciate the help as Glock internals are not something I've ever spent time tinkering with. 

5 hours ago, Jory45acp said:

Thx for all the replies. I have tried inserting a loaded mag with snap caps and the movement all but disappeared. I have looked and read on the website from Glockstore and found no information about any adapter needed to run their spring. It is a guide rod/spring package sold together. The spring is quite large and just barely fits the shallow recess in the nose of the slide, so it's certainly under good compression and not loose once installed. I'll look up the Jentra and make a decision this week while I'm still in the window for return. I appreciate the help as Glock internals are not something I've ever spent time tinkering with. 

First thing google pulled up

https://tarantacticalinnovations.com/guide-rod-adapter-for-glock-pistol-generations-4-and-5/

Jentra is supposed to be coming out with a guide rod for gen 5 shortly as well. I'm waiting for that to come out to pick one up for my 34.5. it's not his normal extended one for a 34 but it's slightly longer than the normal uncaptured ones since the gen 5 guide rod is longer.

5 hours ago, Intheshaw1 said:

https://tarantacticalinnovations.com/guide-rod-adapter-for-glock-pistol-generations-4-and-5/

Jentra is supposed to be coming out with a guide rod for gen 5 shortly as well. I'm waiting for that to come out to pick one up for my 34.5. it's not his normal extended one for a 34 but it's slightly longer than the normal uncaptured ones since the gen 5 guide rod is longer.

I see what you found but if you look at the guide rod I stated I am dealing with it does not fit this as it is "thicker" by their words, basically its oversized in Diameter. Again I'm no Glock expert but I do not see why this would be needed as in my older G34 I ran a tungsten guide rod  without any such adapter for years without issue. The spring literally conforms around the guide rod. I think at this point I'm just going to return it and either get the "normal" if you will tungsten rod or go with another DPM kit as they seem to work headache free. 

10 hours ago, Intheshaw1 said:

It’s already out I got one last week for my G45

35 minutes ago, Intheshaw1 said:

Really, from where?

King Glock from what they told me they have just been released you will need the adaptor . Mine dropped right in, I also ordered several springs as well they have to be the Wolff Springs to fit, Good service got in two days.