Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Choke Tubes For The 590

cboyer

You don't really "install" a choke tube system, you simply have the barrel threaded for chokes. If it's a newer Mossberg that you have, then you're good to go. They have very think barrel walls and there's plenty of room to thread it. But the older Mossberg 590s have thin sheet steel barrels that will not take a thread. Any good gunsmith can do this, the only issue is what type of threads: There's Rem-Choke, Invector, Benelli uses the Crio threading, etc.

I would have them cut for Rem-Chokes. That thread pattern is more compatible with a wide-array of aftermarket chokes.

Will any other Mossberg barrel fit on the 590? If they do, you should be able to find a used barrel with factory screw-ins pretty cheap.

I have an older 590. AFAIK the 590 will only accept 590 barrels. I haven't been able to find one of the new 590 barrels with the modified choke. I have talked to a couple gunsmiths that say they can and will silver solder a choke of my choosing in the barrel for me.

I just sent a thin barrel and a thick barrel, both off 590s, to Colonial Arms (off the web and recomended by Brownells) and they were fair and did an excellent job, to include threading for mossberg chokes.

Good people that answered all questions as well. Go with these folks!

Guy Hawkins

I have an older 590. AFAIK the 590 will only accept 590 barrels. I haven't been able to find one of the new 590 barrels with the modified choke. I have talked to a couple gunsmiths that say they can and will silver solder a choke of my choosing in the barrel for me.

This is true. 590 barrels have lugs located in a different position than the 500 or other Mossbergs.

You'll spend far less having your current barrel threaded for chokes than you will on a whole new barrel that is already threaded.

I just logged in here to post this same question. The cylinder bore on my 590A1 wasnt getting the job done at the last match so its gonna get chokes.

Is there any compelling reason to choose to have the threads cut for one choke system (remington vs mossberg vs. briley vs whoever) vs another. Are some chokes better, or cheeper, more widely available, or more interchangable?

Is there any compelling reason to choose to have the threads cut for one choke system (remington vs mossberg vs. briley vs whoever) vs another. Are some chokes better, or cheeper, more widely available, or more interchangable?

The only compelling reason is product availablity. More companies make more products for Rem-Choke than anything else. Check out Briley's site as an example, you'll see how the market is skewed based on thread pattern.

Had my 590 choked-

by Carlsons

bottom line was $135 and that included 3 chokes of your choice, a nice choke wrench AND I also had the barrel forcing cone extended!!

Dave M

Thanks for the great discussion, along with useful suggestions. I think mine is a thin barrel from the looks of it. This shotgun is original. So is there a date or SS# that shows when they went to a thicker barrel? just curious.

Thanks for the great discussion, along with useful suggestions. I think mine is a thin barrel from the looks of it. This shotgun is original. So is there a date or SS# that shows when they went to a thicker barrel? just curious.

Not sure when Mossberg went to the thicker walled barrels, but it's been several years now, maybe 10.

Your older Mossberg barrel is going to be too thin to thread, I think you'll find. When threading a barrel for chokes, the end of the barrel must be reamed out to accommodate the wall thickness of the choke itself (so there is a smooth transition from barrel to choke), then it needs to be threaded to secure that choke. These 2 procedures remove quite a bit of thickness. The commonly agreed minimum wall thickness is .016" after threading. This means that the barrel wall thickness where the choke would be screwed in must be at least .016" thick AFTER reaming and threading. The older Mossberg barrels are not going to give you that sort of room to ream and thread and have enough material left over to safely hold the choke in place when the shot column hits it during firing.

Another variation that further makes this difficult is the concentricity of the bore, especially when it is this thin to begin with. Get some calipers and measure the wall thickness of your barrel at the muzzle. You'll see that the wall thickness varies quite a bit from side to side. This is because the bore is not centered perfectly due to manufacturing variances. When you ream and thread for chokes, you may be just over the safe thickness on one side of the barrel while being just under on the other. Basically, the wall thickness post reaming/threading must be a minimum of .016" thick ON ALL SIDES OF THE BARREL and this will be tough to pull off on a thin Mossberg barrel. Find the part of the muzzle where it is thinnest and subtract the choke wall thickness (of the chokes you want to use) and choke thread depth. Whatever is left will be what keeps the choke safely in place and that's what should be at least .016".

The thicker the barrel wall at the choked muzzle, the stronger it will be and the longer it will last. The closer the wall is to .016" after threading, the faster the metal will fatigue and the sooner and more likely you will be to shot the choke off the gun.

Edited by homeinvader

• 2 years later...
Does threading really require a gunsmith? Why couldn't I find a thread cutting tool and do it myself? Assuming my heavy barrel is "heavy" enough, are there any other issues I need to consider?

Thanks,

Adam

Are you referring to a tap or single point tool when you said "thread cutting tool" ? The threads for choke tubes are very fine, some are as fine as 44TPI. Choke tooling is aligned by a guide in the tools themselves. Also, the barrels have some outside taper, making it extremely difficult to have the bore run true in a lathe.

Does threading really require a gunsmith? Why couldn't I find a thread cutting tool and do it myself? Assuming my heavy barrel is "heavy" enough, are there any other issues I need to consider?

Thanks,

Adam

Are you referring to a tap or single point tool when you said "thread cutting tool" ? The threads for choke tubes are very fine, some are as fine as 44TPI. Choke tooling is aligned by a guide in the tools themselves. Also, the barrels have some outside taper, making it extremely difficult to have the bore run true in a lathe.

Sounds like cutting the threads straight is fairly complicated. Has anyone had success using a hand thread cutter/reamer? I can buy a new barrel for $80, so it may just be easier to go that route.

Sounds like cutting the threads straight is fairly complicated. Has anyone had success using a hand thread cutter/reamer? I can buy a new barrel for $80, so it may just be easier to go that route.

Adam,

My local smith just quoted me about $80+ US to cut and thread a barrel for screw in chokes. True this is on an 1100, but if you can get a replacement barrel with the tubes already threaded for that, go for it IMHO.

My father has the tooling to do the Winchokes, reamer and tap and said that it would take me about 4+ hours to do the same procedure by hand. BTW the cost for the PROPER reamer and tap are a lot more than the cost of the smith.

http://www.havlinsales.com/

The above link has several 590 threaded barrels .

Click the link, go to " modern shotguns " , go to " accessory barrels ".

$ 85 each plus shipping.

I tried to make the link go directly to that page, but I'm a computer idiot.

Travis F.

+1 on Havlin Sales. They have the 20" 590 barrel on close out for $79.95 + shipping and it's got a ghost ring front sight and is threaded for accuchokes, which is all you need

http://www.havlinsales.com/closeout.htm

http://www.havlinsales.com/

The above link has several 590 threaded barrels .

Click the link, go to " modern shotguns " , go to " accessory barrels ".

$ 85 each plus shipping.

I tried to make the link go directly to that page, but I'm a computer idiot.

Travis F.

+1 on Havlin Sales. They have the 20" 590 barrel on close out for $79.95 + shipping and it's got a ghost ring front sight and is threaded for accuchokes, which is all you need

http://www.havlinsales.com/closeout.htm

More accurately, they HAD the 20" 590 barrel with Accuchoke. :( I called, them credit card in hand, and they are sold out. It was an overrun from a DoD production run.

More accurately, they HAD the 20" 590 barrel with Accuchoke. :( I called, them credit card in hand, and they are sold out. It was an overrun from a DoD production run.

Oh that is sad. I don't even have a 590 yet and I was going to buy one.