Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Round Nose vs Flat Nose for accuracy

TheGoatMumbler

Has anyone any info on the difference btw shooting the round nose bullets in USPSA/IDPA vs the flat nose bullets? Blue Bullets now has both in 147gn. My CZ will run pretty much anything but I was wondering if there was an advantage of one over the other.

Can't say anything about the 147 grain but in general I find that in most of my guns conical, hollow point or flat point to generally be more accurate in most of my 9mm. Although I did just shoot some 147 grain extreme round nose out of my stock 2 and xdm 5.25 and both were under an inch and a half at 25 yards off sand bags. But haven't compared to 147 flat nose yet. 

I shoot the Blue 147 flat points for Carry Optics.. so minor PF.  In my TP9SFx the accuracy is more than adequate for my purposes, although I haven't "benched" the gun yet.  I'm using Sport Pistol powder with range brass.  I have some background in Bullseye shooting.. accuracy is very good.

If not shooting Open I prefer truncated cone bullets, because I think they knock down steel better than RNs.  For Open I shoot JHPs.  I shoot RNs in my PCC for no other reason than they feed much better.

I ran 8,000 or so Bayou 147 TC,  then switched to their 145 gr RN. I've ran maybe 3,000 so far.  Same 132ish PF, same 1.145 OAL, N320

powder.   Both ran fine several Glocks, a couple of Cz's and half a dozen 1911/2011's with no noticeable change in accuracy.