Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Staccato XC 9mm +P load data

1911FL

Hi All,

I would be extremely grateful for your guidance.  My Stacatto XC is rated for +p ammo and I would like to develop a load to take full advantage of the pistols compensator.

I have 124gr Xtreme copper plated Hp on hand and titegroup.

The max published in Lyman 49 for TG is 4.1 for plated w a velocity of 1057.  I loaded and tested 4.1gr of TG w oal of 1.16 out of my pistol w an avg vel of 1003 using my LabRadar.

They shot decent at 25 yards but the recoil impulse at this velocity did not shoot as flat as I would have hoped.

Since there was no published data for +p loads, I looked on the SAAMI website.  They have published velocity and pressure data for 9 mm +P as 124gr at 1180fps which is 146pf.

My question is, where do I go from here to develop a good, safe +p load as I’ve never developed a load outside of the Lyman 49?

Thanks in advance for any guidance on how to proceed.

As a side note, I also have the following powders on hand:

Powders

true blue

unique

power pistol

n320

WSF

WST

Win AutoComp

CFE Pistol

Bullets also on hand:

115 and 124 precision delta

Edited by 1911FL

True Blue might be an option.

Western Powders lists the following 9mm +P load: 

124 (P) RAIN HP 5.7 1,080 6.1 1,150 38,263 1.110

Their data is available online.

Also: 1.16 is longer than most typical 9mm loads. Especially for an HP bullet.

That may be a contributing factor as to why your load is a little short of the published data.

If you are doing that on purpose, that's great, just thought I'd mention it.

Edited by ddc
clarification

Power pistol, true blue, and auto comp shpuld all be decent choices for your goal. Slightly slower, gassy powders at max charges in slightly longer OAL rounds will get you closer to where you want to be. Silhouette is also an option. Most any of the Open pistol powders can work.

2 minutes ago, wgj3 said:

Power pistol, true blue, and auto comp should all be decent choices for your goal. Slightly slower, gassy powders at max charges (or maybe even over max) in slightly longer OAL rounds will get you closer to where you want to be. Silhouette is also an option. Most any of the Open pistol powders can work.

Since you're loading for a compensator, select the powder that uses the largest charge weight for the velocity you desire. More powder weight means more gas and more gas means more downward pressure from the compensator.

This is explained here: https://www.shootingtimes.com/editorial/compensators-pressure-gas/99170

Are you sure that you can handload for Staccato guns? It will void warranty:

5) Fired with handloaded, reloaded or improper ammunition (excluding Open guns manufactured specifically for major power factor ammunition, however if it is determined that the damage to your Open gun is directly related to overcharged, double charged or unsafe ammunition, it may effect warranty coverage).

Every manufacturer says that.  We ignore them.

Power Pistol is a good choice for energetic loads; its burn rate gives good velocity without going overboard on pressure and its muzzle blast and flash let you feel manly.