Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Factory Aftermarket Beretta 92 Parts Legal?

GASMAN

Ive been thinking of ordering these parts for my Beretta 92 for use in IPSC production division,but want to check before I actually do so to be sure they are legal.

I want to order a trigger with an adjustment stop for overtravel and an extended mag release,as well as a metal guide rod.These are made in the Beretta factory(Im ordering directly from Italy).They drop in without alterations to the gun,obviously they are not standard parts.

Im well aware that aftermarket parts(fron non OFM sources) are not legal,but what about these?

Many thanks in advance for the replies!

I'm not sure where you're located, but I'll assume you mean US Production Div.

Any guide rod (OEM or Aftermarket) is legal as long as you don't break rule #16 - Maximum weight 2 oz over factory spec.

I'm assuming you're talking about the trigger with overtravel adjustment screws available from Brignoli. I've heard it's legal, but I don't see how. The rule says you can swap parts from one approved model to another approved model. I don't think this trigger is available on any 9x series pistol on the production approved list.

One modification you can do is to weld a bump on the front of your trigger bar pin. It needs to be about 0.05 inch tall and will eliminate most of your overtravel. Tom Novak (novakshandgunneroutlet.com) has worked on my Beretta and can do such a modification. There's a link to NHO in my signature line.

Hope that helps some.

splashdown

Edited by splashdown

MAny thanks for the reply and info splashdown.

I am in Canada ,so the rules do differ from USPSA.

The rules in production can sometimes be a bit grey,but I got a good lead from another member of this forum who put me onto the IPSC global village site,which answered a lot of my questions

• 2 weeks later...
MAny thanks for the reply and info splashdown.

I am in Canada ,so the rules do differ from USPSA.

The rules in production can sometimes be a bit grey,but I got a good lead from another member of this forum who put me onto the IPSC global village site,which answered a lot of my questions

The trigger from Brignolli you speak of would not be legal in USPSA because it is for a gun that is not legal in production class.

The trigger from Brignolli you speak of would not be legal in USPSA because it is for a gun that is not legal in production class.

Peashooter, why would the Beretta 92 be illegal for USPSA Production?

GASMAN, I would say that if the parts are avail from the factory, they should be allowed.

I was just at a level I RO class this weekend. The instructor shot a Beretta Elite I and like the mag release on the Elite II (it was a little bigger) but said that he could not put the part on his Elite I since that gun was never made with that part. Again, this is for USPSA rules which don't apply in Canada. I posted this to respond to the other posters who thought that if it was a factory part it would be OK - it's not for production class.

Rick

I modified this post to specifiy that I was speaking to production class shooters.

Edited by Clay1

Clay1:

Your RO instructor is WRONG. It has been stated many times in many forums that any part offered by the OEM for the gun in question may be used in production division so long as the part does not conflict with rules.

So, extended magazine releases, extended slide stop, rubber base pads, replacement grips, etc are ALL legal in both IPSC and USPSA divisions so long as they are available from the OEM.

Edited by David Olhasso

Until recently the were 8 NROI instructors in the US and Perry Wilson is the 4th most senior instructor at this point. There are now 9 instructors with a new one just added.

He said that he couldn't use the Elite II mag release on his Elite I. If anything I might have quoted the wrong reason why.

I would think that switching the mag release would be legal..they have ruled that switching OEM parts from a legal production gun to another legal production gun is good.

exp..G34 offer extended mage release and slide release..these parts are ok to install on a G17..

so being the E2 and the E1 are both legal production pistols..it reasons it would be OK..of course IPSC production is a different beast all together..

I called Perry at work on the phone. 21.5 External modifications other than sights not allowed. That was his take on it. It was not originally offered on the gun. He would like to use the Elite II mag release on his own gun. Can anyone point me to an John Amidon ruling or a posting on the NROI web site saying anything different?

He suggested that I contact Amidon if I wanted to investigate further.

Clay1

from the USPSA website under Rules under NROI Rulings:

External Modifications: US Appendix D9 Production Division 21.5 "External modifications other than sights not allowed." This clause is not meant to prohibit exchanging external parts from one approved model handgun to another approved model handgun. Exchanging external parts from one approved model handgun to another approved model handgun from the same manufacturer is allowed, providing that the parts are original manufacturers parts and offered in their catalogs or on their handguns that otherwise meet division criteria. The following original manufacturer parts may be exchanged: Extended mag release, extended slide stop and external safeties including ambidextrious, provided they stay within the intent of the division. No added weights, no mag well attachments, no thumb rest or external devices used to help reduce recoil and/or muzzle flip may be exchanged.

so a mag release from a E2 should be legal on a E1

Edited by eerw