Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help! Pin Snapped Off

One of the two pins that hold the die plate in the press has snapped off. Consequently, I can't change dies without removing each die and resetting them. I've tried to gently drill this pin out, but it seems like it's a hardened steel. Any suggestions here?

dave

The toolhead pins are pretty hard; unlikely you can drill it out without damaging the the frame. First try a strong magnet (not a refrigerator magnet). If that fails, then detach the powder measure, remove the locator buttons, unbolt the frame from your bench and invert it. then using a plastic hammer, beat on the frame adjacent to the broken pin to vibrate it out. :ph34r:

Ok, dismounted the powder measure, put anything that could fall, vibrate or otherwise become dislodged in a safe place. Dismounted the press and turned it upside down the tried the "rap the frame trick" while gently wiggling the die plate. The broken off pin finally wiggled out. The press is now remounted and ready to use again.

As for how it got broken in the FIRST place- Note >>I<< didn't do it! My brother came over to load some 44mag while I was gone. I had left the press set up for 45acp, hence the need to change dies, reset the powder measure, etc. My 21yr old son was there helping. Neither one has admitted just to how it happened, just that it happened. I've checked it out and it functions ok now. The ammo they loaded didn't wreck his Redhawk. The dumb thing is that we've both reloaded for years and nothing stupid like this has ever happened except for the occasional decapping pin in the old RCBS having a collision with an odd berdan shell, like maybe twice over 30 years. From forensic examination of the scene, I think one of the old RCBS setup parts fell off of the shelf above the bench and landed on the Dillon. Maybe I shouldn't have RCBS and Dillon in such close proximity.

Anyway, it's now working, TNX for the suggestions guys!!

Now that is a serious possibility since the bullet seat/crimp die is next to the pin that was broken. I thought that maybe my old RCBS powder stand fell from the shelf above the bench. I keep most of the powder up there. It's a habit from the days when the kids were little. Keep the boom stuff waay out of reach and locked up.

The brother- yeah maybe. The son, nope. That would be an honest mistake on his part since he's just learning to reload etc. This same kid is on a USAF scholarship at a major university in NC, has made the dean's list, and secured a pilot slot at flight school. I'd say he's pretty high speed and can be taught. He can shoot better than many with years more experience. Case in point, I've seen him take my G21C and shoot 3in groups at 25yds offhand, and that was his first time out with a Glock. His first time wth an HK USP, he shot an honest sub 2in group at the same distance and was complaining about how he sucked with a handgun. He's going to be quite the handful with an A-10 or F-15. Type A perfectionist? Yah think??

The brother, on the other hand, while a nice guy.... can be a bit ham handed with tools. He does ok reloading, is very meticulous about charge weight, keeping the bench organized and clear, but I can see how he might have twisted a wrench and popped the top off the pin and not realized it since the finished rounds looked factory and weighed out correctly. The pin snapped off was on the side of the press away from the operator. My guess is he reached across it with a wrench while setting the crimp and bullet depth and did the deed. Anyway, alls well at this point. Next time, I'll set the press up for him. :P

Just an update here-

A BIG +1 Bravo Zulu to Dillon on customer service!! I called and they not only didn't charge me for the pin, they sent 2 so I would have a spare. I can't say enough about these guys, great product, great service and support for the shooting sports. THANKS GUYS!!

• 2 months later...