Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Buying reloading components online, armlist, etc.

chgofirefighter

How do you protect yourself from buying from a private seller?  Many private sellers are not local so you can't meet face to face.  Paying with Zelle/Venmo does not offer buyer protection  and most of the sellers are unwilling to use PayPal to protect the end user so how can you move forward and secure a purchase?  

8 minutes ago, chgofirefighter said:

I wasn't referring to sellers from this forum, but other online sources... 

I get that, but the options are still the same. You can really only go off reputation and hope for the best. If it's some random website that looks sketchy and it's a too good to be true price, probably worth avoiding.

I've been buying and selling stuff online for like 20 years and can only remember 2 bad experiences and both were from eBay and both claims were denied by the PayPal protection process even when I had proof that the items I received in both instances were damaged. So it's not an end all be all to buy from so called reputable sources either and PayPal has historically sides with sellers since sellers are paying the fees.

27 minutes ago, Intheshaw1 said:

I get that, but the options are still the same. You can really only go off reputation and hope for the best. If it's some random website that looks sketchy and it's a too good to be true price, probably worth avoiding.

I've been buying and selling stuff online for like 20 years and can only remember 2 bad experiences and both were from eBay and both claims were denied by the PayPal protection process even when I had proof that the items I received in both instances were damaged. So it's not an end all be all to buy from so called reputable sources either and PayPal has historically sides with sellers since sellers are paying the fees.

True, nothing is guaranteed and buying/selling online is a gamble.  Reputation would be nice or at least "something" to work with, selling 5k primers for $450 seems like too good to be true especially when gunbroker has them listed at $1200+🙄

Buying from reputable sites or dealers.  Buyer beware! You always take a chance when you buy and sell online.  Look at the listing carefully.  Look for things that don't make sense.  Stock pictures,  deals too good to be true, no reviews, low post count, new to the site, etc.