Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Load for PCC, 147 vs 115

So I'm sighted in at 50 yards with my 16 inch barreled PCC.  I used my go to load, 147 gr coated FP, 3.9 gr WSF, developes 1050 fps out of my PCC, just under 900 fps out of my Smith 9c, and just over 900 fps out of my 5 inch 1911.

115 Winchester FMJ factory loads clocked 1450 fps.  Right now my 50 yard zero and 147 load is also zero at 25 yards BUT 6 inches low at 100.  I know I can load 115 down to 1100 fps but for anyone shooting them and zeroed at 50 what kind of drop do you have at 100?    

Ideally I'd like to be at 130 PF and within 1.5 inches above/below line of sight out to 100 yards.  I KNOW I can not do it with 147s but can I do it with 115?

Since you're concerned with PF I'm assuming you are shooting competition. Do you have some outlaw type matches in your area that have shots that far? Might be fun.

I shoot a 124 with 4.2 gr of wsf and I'm about 133-135 pf. My guess is you'd have to up the pf/speed to get the 115 to shoot that flat. But then dot bounce would be more, probably, unless you did some serious playing with buffer/bolt weight,etc., so that would negate the advantage of flat shooting I'd think.

I think my first question is similar to the above. What are you shooting that takes you out to 50? That’s quite rare for most PCC competitions. 

Or is this just a range toy that you prefer to shoot out that far?

Thanks everyone.  The local IDPA matches just go out to 30, but sometimes I'll shoot an outlaw match that does have stop plates at 100.  Also I want to use this as a training tool so reaching out to 100 is important.  

So I'm thinking I'm going to need two loads, the IDPA load and the outlaw/training load.

I'm mainly a uspsa shooter, but IIRC, isn't the max distance for idpa 20 yds?

Yes it does sound like two loads would be needed to reach your goal, although if only a few shots at that distance I'd think it would be a lot easier to just learn some holdovers.

3Gun PCC division shoots to 100 yards. The drop of 115s zeroed at 50 yards at 100 is about 3 inches .

But fmjs are not accurate in my guns.   124hps work much better.  Same drop.

4 hours ago, AHI said:

3Gun PCC division shoots to 100 yards. The drop of 115s zeroed at 50 yards at 100 is about 3 inches .

But fmjs are not accurate in my guns.   124hps work much better.  Same drop.

How fast are you driving your rounds?