Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S2 Orange not locking open when empty

jejb

I've had my S2 orange a few months now and have been shooting it regularly. I happened to be loading 115gr jacketed RN with Unique when I bought the gun, and the gun would lock open when empty with that load. I was just looking to use up the last of the Unique I had, which I did recently. Went back to some tried and true Win 231 loads and even at the max load, the slide won't lock back. Tried some factory 115gr range ammo too (blazer, white box and herters). None will lock the slide open. All of the above loads lock the slides open on my Sig X5, P229 and P320's.

So I figured recoil springs. The orange comes with 2 extra, but same problem with any of the springs. Ordered the CGW "white" 10lb spring. Really thought that would do it, but no joy. I clean the gun after every other range trip. Stock firing pin/spring. Stock trigger return spring (although I have the CGW lighter one on the bench). I did put a lighter hammer spring in, one of the ones that came with the gun.

Is this just a thing with the S2? I do not want to shoot Unique long term. Dirty powder. And at 5.7gr, the case is full enough that I have to slow down my reloading so it does not spill.

1 hour ago, AlexMT said:

Your support palm and slide stop holds the secret.

Thanks, but that does not explain why it always locks open when using Unique. I will pay more attention to that at the range tomorrow though. 

15 minutes ago, Racinready300ex said:

You're not running grams springs and followers are you? They wont lock the slide back. 

I don't know what "grams springs" are. The springs I've tried have been the CZ factory ones that were supplied with my new gun, and the Cajun Gun Works 10lb "white" spring. 

1 hour ago, jejb said:

I don't know what "grams springs" are. The springs I've tried have been the CZ factory ones that were supplied with my new gun, and the Cajun Gun Works 10lb "white" spring. 

I think he's referring to the magazine springs - Grams Engineering is one of the popular manufacturers of aftermarket magazine spring/follower kits. Like most of the competition-oriented magazine kits, the Grams "guts" contain a thin follower that increases magazine capacity at the expense of no longer engaging the slide stop and locking the slide back on empty. I'm assuming that you're either using stock mags and/or the same magazine configuration that you did when the slide was locking back with your old load... but if you're not, that's something to look at.

17 hours ago, KlausN said:

Same problem on different magazines?

Yes, same problem on all 3 stock mags. I did clean them all last night, and they were dirty. Hope to never use Unique again. Glad to have my stash cleaned up.

My reloads were on the long end of things at 1.165 OAL, so I decided to push the bullet in a bit more too. Running 1.130 to see if has any impact. All Win says about the OAL is to list a max of 1.169.

shoot the gun one handed with those loads, ensuring your thumb is nowhere near the slidestop lever. I think you'll be surprised. Then order a few of the flush slidestops for the 2. Or, dremel the existing slidestop flat. 

bullet length will have nothing to do with the gun locking back empty. the only reasons it could not occur is if the slide didn't travel back far enough to allow the slidestop lever to move up under pressure from the follower and spring, or the slidestop is damaged and not engaging the follower shelf, or the followers are damaged, or and this is the most common one, your hand is riding the slidestop. 

5 hours ago, slavex said:

shoot the gun one handed with those loads, ensuring your thumb is nowhere near the slidestop lever. I think you'll be surprised. Then order a few of the flush slidestops for the 2. Or, dremel the existing slidestop flat. 

I'm a little doubtful since the slide locked open every time with the Unique load, but I will try it. I still have a couple of boxes of the Unique loads left after I switched to 231, so ran a few rounds of those to confirm. It still locks open with those. Every time. 

bullet length will have nothing to do with the gun locking back empty. the only reasons it could not occur is if the slide didn't travel back far enough to allow the slidestop lever to move up under pressure from the follower and spring, or the slidestop is damaged and not engaging the follower shelf, or the followers are damaged, or and this is the most common one, your hand is riding the slidestop. 

I thought seating the bullet further would result in a little higher pressure, which I was hoping would help the slide travel far enough back to lock. I was not able to test yesterday, though. We had a little icy weather. Got to the range and found a "closed due to weather" sign on the door. Hopefully test today, if they're open. 

I received 2 new shadow2s last winter from warranty here in Canada, both did exactly as you are describing and it ended up being the slide stop springs, took apart and put back together no difference, replaced with a different one and it worked fine, same in other gun, swap it out and see if it makes a difference

Went well at the range today. Not sure if cleaning the mags was the key, or seating the bullets a little further, but it locked back reliably on each empty mag. I only put a few rounds in each mag to test it quite a few times. 4.9 grains of 231, 115gr jacketed RN, 1.130 OAL, WSP primers.

I may still replace the slide stop spring, just for insurance sake. 

Appreciate everyone's input. 

16 hours ago, slavex said:

shoot the gun one handed with those loads, ensuring your thumb is nowhere near the slidestop lever. I think you'll be surprised. Then order a few of the flush slidestops for the 2.

Can you give me a link to the lower profile slide stops? I'd like to try one. Thanks.