Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Laugo Alien Pistol

bac1023

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Now that the Alien is actually used by shooters can someone elaborate on the reliability?

I know gun gets hot. That it likes hot ammunition. etc. But who actually uses it in competition and can explain usage compared to eg a Shadow 2?

On 2/9/2022 at 10:36 PM, Fasthenk65 said:

Now that the Alien is actually used by shooters can someone elaborate on the reliability?

I know gun gets hot. That it likes hot ammunition. etc. But who actually uses it in competition and can explain usage compared to eg a Shadow 2?

not so many owners then :-

• 2 months later...

I have tested this gun extensively and was planning to use it for IPSC production. However, due to a design failure I can’t use it for matches. It’s expensive paperweight and I’m back to my Shadow 2 orange. I’ve told Laugo about this designflaw and I’m not sure if all Aliens have it. Basically the magazines won’t eject when there is one round left, sometimes two. The slide pushes down on the bullet, causing it the slightly angle the mag. When pushing the mag release gravity stops the mag from falling down. It’s gets stuck in an angle. I’ve shot about 5k rounds and only noticed it since a couple of weeks since I started doing actual runs on stages in stead of drills. I’m apparently the second person who has reported this. Which is strange. So far no feedback and a useless gun for IPSC. Maybe if they design new mags they can solve it somehow… 

On 2/9/2022 at 10:36 PM, Fasthenk65 said:

I shoot factory 124 gn. Seems to work fine. It’s a lightweight gun and had to re-adjust grip and technique a bit to get used to it. I like my shadow trigger better but prefer the feel of the Alien now. If you have big hands and high grip the slide will touch your hands. This is annoying and can be painful. Other then that it shoots well and fast but I’d prefer a little more weight, this will make the gun less nervous. First thousand rounds I had some malfunctioning but now it seems very reliable. Table pick ups are more difficult cause you need some more power to rack the slide. Putting less rounds in the mag will make it a bit easier. It took some time to find the sights, practicing indexing helps a lot. Going back to my CZ or another gun gives you a weird feeling since sights are so high up. Overall it’s a very good gun and a shame and pitty that they have this reload problems. Especially since it should be a competition gun for production. I would buy the second generation, looking back now.

6 hours ago, M2theC-NL said:

I shoot factory 124 gn. Seems to work fine. It’s a lightweight gun and had to re-adjust grip and technique a bit to get used to it. I like my shadow trigger better but prefer the feel of the Alien now. If you have big hands and high grip the slide will touch your hands. This is annoying and can be painful. Other then that it shoots well and fast but I’d prefer a little more weight, this will make the gun less nervous. First thousand rounds I had some malfunctioning but now it seems very reliable. Table pick ups are more difficult cause you need some more power to rack the slide. Putting less rounds in the mag will make it a bit easier. It took some time to find the sights, practicing indexing helps a lot. Going back to my CZ or another gun gives you a weird feeling since sights are so high up. Overall it’s a very good gun and a shame and pitty that they have this reload problems. Especially since it should be a competition gun for production. I would buy the second generation, looking back now.

Tnx a lot!!! 

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/18/2022 at 7:27 AM, M2theC-NL said:

A couple of things to consider:

1.  What shape of bullet do you use, and what is OAL?  I have 2 Aliens and 14 mags, I just tested all 14 mags in both guns and couldn't get one to stick.  I started with 9 rounds remaining and tried each round down to zero.  I went a grabbed some old 147g flat nose dummy rounds from the garage and almost all of my mags held up as you described.  I am sure you tried different ammo options, but just providing some of my experience.

2.  I agree with your assessment of adding weight.  I added the LOK brass palm swells and backstrap to both of my Aliens and much prefer how it feels.  

3.  High sights - I agree and made worse with the IPSC Retro kit...

It took me a bit to come around to it, because I really did like my previous gun (Phoenix Redback), but as I shoot and handle it more, I like the way it feels and enjoy the way it shoots.  I hope you find a solution.

• 1 month later...

I owned a Performance model briefly. Nice trigger, unique action, shot flat and accurate.

The carbon build up and hear generation were the things that kept me from loving it. Also the slide release lever was very tight, and, as mentioned by others, slingshotting the slide was a bit harder than a normal pistol.

Edited by CGoodwin

• 1 month later...