Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dealing with tight shots with major

Yarbojanks

Hi friends

with some of these new 20 series classifiers, there is a stage with a close headshot you need to take at speed and with my 9 major Open gun I’ve been struggling with being able to confidently take the head box at speed. Anyone have a good training method to help build confidence and recoil management with such a snappy gun?

Thanks!

Which of the 3 20-series classifiers are you talking about? None of them have a headbox only target.

If you're talking about confidence then maybe you need to improve your mental self-image, and think about how you should shoot on the move. Recoil management is settled with how you need to position your hands around the gun, gripping tightly while still allowing your trigger finger enough dexterity for fast splits, locking your wrists, and setting your elbows to absorb shock from recoil. The more important thing will be shifting your eyes and looking at a specific zone on the target first, then moving the gun. You have to think about attacking the A zone with confidence.

The video I have below was supposed to be CM 20-02, but a sometime during the match 3 targets were shifted closer than what they were supposed to be (making it invalid), everything else was setup correctly.

+1 on there aren't any head shots on the 20's.

You're shooting open major, a Charlie is like .1 seconds on a good run at these. I'd either aim center of brown on the partials, or at the top line of the lower A. Good chance you'll get A/C. 

Even 20-02 there are 3 partials, and 3 open. If you're C/C on all the partials and AA on the Open you'll still have 90% of the points. My guess is you would snag at least a couple A's on the partials too getting you over 90%. Do it fast enough and you're golden. First time I shot this I had 2 C's, 2nd time I had similar but chunked a D on the last target trying to be spicy lol.

Try not to fully stop in the middle of all of the 20s

Those partial targets are where a lot of people lose time by being scared of them and slowing down too much.  If you can stick shots a couple inches apart, sack up and go.  Set them up in practice until you can drive the hits (don't hero-or-zero unless it's for the 'grams).  If you compare super squads to the ordinary schmoes at Nationals, you'll see something interesting-- they shoot targets like this almost full speed, but they'll slow down on pure head shots more than many others do.

Back when I was a decent B class shooter B)🤣😅😂, I stop sweating tight shots, no shoots, zebras.

I was fortunate enough to have a large back yard with a wooden fence, perfect for dry fire.  I had a large, really large cottonwood tree plus some other growths.  Neighbors never saw me point a gun at their den windows.  

I never put up a fully exposed target.  Everything had no shoots or hard cover plus three head shots.

I used Seeklander's and Enos' drills.  

Dry fire really works.

With the shortages of ammo and primers, less real fire and more dry fire  might be the way to go.

As a side note; Max Michel told me he generally practices dry fire at half speed.  The idea was to execute perfect technique.   This fits with Seeklander thoughts (and Bassham) on using your conscious mind to train your sub-conscious.  You should be running your stage with your sub-conscious.

Edited by pjb45