Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mark 7 with 1050

TJ_FARMER

Just now, TJ_FARMER said:

I tried the the SSI funnel, "popped" worse and had to run like 5 or 6 and pput it back in the package. I like the look of it, sounds like I need to get the polisher on the dremel on both, thanks 

Are you using new brass or wet tumbled brass?

3 works near 100% using Hornady One Shot and a MB funnel that has been heavily used (150K rounds or more ).  Initially I had a pretty good "thump" with that funnel and probably was using 4-5 so pre-polishing your funnel/expander is probably a good idea.  Also, I'm generally running brass that has been shot multiple times since I recycle near 100% from practice.

8 hours ago, TJ_FARMER said:

I tried the the SSI funnel, "popped" worse and had to run like 5 or 6 and pput it back in the package. I like the look of it, sounds like I need to get the polisher on the dremel on both, thanks 

Same experience...............IMO, if you compare the profile of the (9mm) SSI funnel to the MBF, the SSI profile is very similar to the stock XL650 funnel...........

Once the MBF is "prepped" it provides a very stable seat for the bullet.

My results with the Alpha funnel........(and yes, I use wet tumbled brass).............

Alpha Stick.png

5 minutes ago, ysrracer said:

What's the prepping procedure?

For me, the standard sized MBF/PE expander works best with coated lead that's in the .3565-.357 diameter as stock size is close to .358-.3585".

For my Zero JHP, I had the funnel turned to .3575" and that eliminated the sticking/popping issues.  Those issues are totally due to "surface friction" of the funnel.  Reduce it, and it inherently reduces/eliminates the funnel sticking in the brass.

I also allow a bit of the One Shot lube to get into the mouth of the cases during coating........

#2 on my Mark7 with 1050. Using an M die to flare brass then powder funnel only needs to drop powder. No popping or sticking of any kind. Dry tumble with one shot or Dillon lube. 38 sc. need non- Dillon tool head for extra die or maybe Dillon can be threaded?

Edited by jstagn
Added info