Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The Double Tap Championship

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Robert... Part of our business is "Gas Well Pumping" which includes salt water disposal, so we deal with a LOT of tank truck outfits. The going rate for tank trucks (130 barrel fresh water capacity) in our area is about $70.00-$75.00 per hour plus the cost per barrel of fresh water. The water cost will vary by company and where they get their water. I KNOW there's a lot of water being hauled OFF the leases around DTC (just look at the pump jacks running), so there are at least a few companies in the WF area.

If you can't get hooked up with someone, gimme a holler, and I'll call one of the companies in my cell phone and get a closer referral for you.

Thats a great Idea= Robert let the oil field truck dump the salt water on your range. = no kidding. Or go and see what it looks like at the dump area. I bet it is not dusty.

Robert... Part of our business is "Gas Well Pumping" which includes salt water disposal, so we deal with a LOT of tank truck outfits. The going rate for tank trucks (130 barrel fresh water capacity) in our area is about $70.00-$75.00 per hour plus the cost per barrel of fresh water. The water cost will vary by company and where they get their water. I KNOW there's a lot of water being hauled OFF the leases around DTC (just look at the pump jacks running), so there are at least a few companies in the WF area.

If you can't get hooked up with someone, gimme a holler, and I'll call one of the companies in my cell phone and get a closer referral for you.

Thats a great Idea= Robert let the oil field truck dump the salt water on your range. = no kidding. Or go and see what it looks like at the dump area. I bet it is not dusty.

Oh... No, no, no... I wouldn't even THINK of putting salt water on the ground. besides the fact that the State would put you UNDER the jail for it, the stuff will kill everything it touches and prevent anything from growing on the ground it contaminates for... well virtually forever.

Ideally, you want grass... like Bermuda/Bermuda hybrid to cover everything possible... That'll keep the dust down and the berms et al. stable. I was suggesting the Salt Water transport guys because they are also in the biz of supplying FRESH water to well locations for various tasks.... like circulating the hole after drilling out a frac plug et al... They have experience getting water to remote locations...

Salt water belongs in a disposal well... :) Never more than 3000 ppm chlorides in water dispensed on the surface... preferably less.

Can you imagine what would happen down there in San Antonio if someone dumped salt water on top of the Edwards Acquifer? I can only imagine...

Ideally, you want grass... like Bermuda/Bermuda hybrid to cover everything possible...

Man, this is some drift on this thread :D

How you gonna get Bermuda to grow - at a length short enough to allow retrieval of brass (we're talking 1/2" tall or so) - without a source of constant, fresh water at the range?? Ain't gonna happen...

Hydroseeding local natives on the berms is a good start - they don't have to be kept short, and will grow with whatever water falls from the sky. But, grass on the floor is going to be tough, unfortunately...

Dave... It'll never be "golf course like", but Bermuda (and there are some other low-growing varieties) is very drought tolerant once established. I had Hybrid Bermuda growing in my backyard in CA, and was able to keep it growing fine with very little water (it almost never rains there). And I would have had very little trouble retrieving brass on it. :) Clark Range, LA has many of the bay floors covered in grass... We were able to pick brass on those pretty effectively...

Dave... It'll never be "golf course like", but Bermuda (and there are some other low-growing varieties) is very drought tolerant once established. I had Hybrid Bermuda growing in my backyard in CA, and was able to keep it growing fine with very little water (it almost never rains there).

We have more water fall here in Austin than you guys do up there. My Bermuda still needs a good amount of water across the summer to survive. It goes dormant under intense summer heat/dry, but will survive - but only if I water it once a week (per my water restrictions). If I don't, I get dead spots in the fall when the grass starts coming back. Somehow, I doubt it's going to live very long in TX heat/dry without some water through the summer... Seems like you guys get pretty much as hot as we do down here??

Nonetheless - the hardier grassess do good once established... that means watering them constantly for the first 6-8 months... something that's still pretty hard to do out there... ;) You'd have to get fresh water out there on a truck every day for a little while, then 3-4 times per week for a while after that.

I'm not saying don't do it - after all, it's the range's money :) Just be aware of the difficulties, and potential expense to get it to work. Seems to me that a bunch of truck loads of really small pea gravel might be easier and cheaper in the long run (although you can't make low shots into it...). I'd still consider natives on the berms themselves, BTW - easier to establish, and easier to maintain (just leave 'em alone...)

I've tried to pick brass on 1-2" grass, and it's pretty tough to find stuff under it. Don't know what variety you had - mine, while low growing, does have some depth to it, and cases seem to just drop in and hide (I just did an empirical test :) ).

Dave Your Right we are drifting a bit.

Geezer -Lock Thanks for the Link. Read their web Page and this sounds like the Ticket. If it is not to expensive. We plan on putting some irragation in from the Pond in the back to water with. We are going to check into the Grass and the M/C. THanks everyone

Favorite Stage? (don't Have to ask about least favorite)

Favorite Stage? (don't Have to ask about least favorite)

Well, the Hell-A-Ports wasn't my least favorite :) My least favorite was Stage 9, the one with the vertical no-shoots... nowhere near as creative as the others...

Favorite stages?? Hmmm....6 and 7. They allowed a lot of creativity in how you approached them, especially for Production and L10. Instead of "shoot 4, reload, shoot 4, reload", you could do other things - several other things, really. The big field courses were fun, but I didn't feel quite as challenged on how to approach them. 6 and 7 opened the door to be a little more creative...

Favorites: 5, 6 & 10

Least Favorite: 9

Most Painful: yep, you guessed it - 8, but my G*&! The ingenuity.

I had an equally good, but not quite as painful idea for you for next year, but a couple of forum members threatened at the match to put a contract on my head if I told you. I still might. It involves a rotating barrel with a port cut in it. Oopps!

My least favorite was Double Decker. It kinda messed up my thinking ??

That was my last stage of the match, and the hammer followed the slide forward on the last

round of that stage. I guess a match with no mikes, no procedurals, no no shoots, and 1 gun problem on the last shot of the match is doing pretty good.

Hell a Ports, got lucky 18 seconds and some change !!

We will see what the Space City Challenge holds in store for us.

I probably ought to not tell Robert about the "swinger with a parallel swinging steel no-shoot" that was at FIPT in '99, then, eh??? :D That was a blast... I'd love to shoot something like that again...

Edited by XRe

Xre We shot something like that at the TSLC in about 99. Had several steel swinger in fron of a static target all in a row, shoot from each side of a wall. You would shoot thru the targets and hit the swinger behind it and you could not tell by sound weather you got your hit or not. threw a wrench into those that don't call shots.

We were already thinking about a stage where the barrel rolls down an incline to expose targets and drags a wall with it. making the Targets disappear got to work out the details. But Be sure THERE WILL BE SOMETHING DIFFERENT YOU HAVE NOT SEEN, AGAIN NEXT YEAR!

Slightly off-topic:

At some point during the trip to Wichita Falls this past weekend I lost a small wallet containing some credit cards, my Social Security card, my Pilot's License, my insurance ID cards and some pictures of my wife, Beth.

It's a long shot but if you run across it please let me know ASAP.

-Chet

I liked 10, because I took a chance and tried to take down another popper after shooting the popper that reveals the paper but before shooting it. The sequence was CMP1, CMP2, paper, CMP4, CMP3, paper.

I also liked 3, even though I threw in an extra reload and didn't run it as cleanly as I'd have liked. I'll bet with practice you could step on the plates and hit the targets almost without seeing them first.

The ports on 8 weren't as bad as I expected, but somehow I managed to leave a popper standing. Bet I was the only person with no Mikes on the paper but with a Mike on steel!

#3 (teeter-totters...did you ever think you would see a teeter-totter on an IPSC course?),

#4 (transitions, near/far, movement, ports...fun) ,

#5 (never shot a star with wet hands,

#8 (and suck as I did, it was still fun - sure would like to run it a few times though - may have it figured out by then :P ), and

#10 (fwiw, watching the video that we captured at the match, the couple of GM's on our squad were successfully using the shooting sequence of CMP2, CMP3, CMP4 (right activator), CMP1 (left activator), right paper, left paper).

I liked 10, because I took a chance and tried to take down another popper after shooting the popper that reveals the paper but before shooting it. The sequence was CMP1, CMP2, paper, CMP4, CMP3, paper.

I also liked 3, even though I threw in an extra reload and didn't run it as cleanly as I'd have liked. I'll bet with practice you could step on the plates and hit the targets almost without seeing them first.

The ports on 8 weren't as bad as I expected, but somehow I managed to leave a popper standing. Bet I was the only person with no Mikes on the paper but with a Mike on steel!

I shot it the same way you did.... Max shot all the steel, then the paper.

Andy C.

#10 (fwiw, watching the video that we captured at the match, the couple of GM's on our squad were successfully using the shooting sequence of CMP2, CMP3, CMP4 (right activator), CMP1 (left activator), right paper, left paper).

The A L-10 shooter on your squad used the same order to good effect. :) Thanks again for that order, Manny!!!! :D Timing was just right across the board....

The A L-10 shooter on your squad used the same order to good effect. :) Thanks again for that order, Manny!!!! :D Timing was just right across the board....

Yep, caught you on tape with that sequence as well. Good job Dave!

I thought Stage 8 - Hella Ports was going to be a nightmare....well the moons were lined up with all the planets to form a supernova-eclipse. I shot the stage in 15:09 with no misses or no shoots! Limited 10!!! Don't know how I did it, folks said it looked good, wish I had it on video.

Robert, great match. I will be there next year. To help save your chrono and get some more prizes. Contact Charles Hardy from CED. He usually donates two chronos with IR screens for the match and then you can give them away at the conclusion. You would just need to build an 8'box to make total darkness. Contact Greg Lent, he has exact dimensions and everything.

As for prises....if you have enough for every registered participant to get a prize, try this. Each shooter gets their name placed in one bucket, all prizes go in another bucket. Reach in one bucket pull out a name...reach in the other bucket, pull out a prize. Double blind drawing...this way, people can pick up their prizes at registration. This does several things...biggest, cuts down on after match shipping costs and someone else picking a prize for another shooter (burden of getting it too them and choosing the right item) Area 8 does this and they little to no shipping costs. You can still award according to finish with frames and such. If you have guns to give away, requires an FFL (transfer must be arrainged), sell raffle tickets and let the shooters know the funds go to range mprovements or the USPSA junior program...hint. I would buy tickets, especially when I return the next year and see improvements.

Again, great match...let me know when you want me to send you that stuff we discussed on Friday night. I haven't seen you enter form to the Summer Blast yet. $216 round trip plane ticket from DFW to Baltimore on American and Baltimore is only 45 minutes from YORK, PA (match location). Then you can see how we do 10 stages/246 rounds in 4.5 hours. :)

Larry

Great Shooting! SBMD that probaly why you came in Second Overall in L-10. Good Idea About the Area 8. But seems a little Anti-clamatic to give away stuff before you shoot.

Also our way lets the Shooter pick what He wants by the luck of the Draw, Since he has choice of anything left on the table when his name is called. We don't Ship anything but the Awards. Have to be present to win or Have a signed Pickup sheet from the Competitor for someone else to pick up for them (lets the Friday Crowd get something off the Table also )

Edited by scorch