Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

20 in float tubes

Dan Bone

I'm looking to do some work on my 20in AR particularly in the area of a float tube. Which is the lightest and doesn't heat up during competition.

I've already got a C-more vented float tube... That's not what I call "light". Anybody want to buy one? Cheap?

I used to have to wear a glove on my left hand when I shot long rifle stages with the old free-float handguard I had. It was 1/4" thich aluminum with a couple of slots for cooling. It got hot.

I now have the JP large diameter handguard (covers gas block) and I can shoot all day barelefthanded. It stays cool and looks cool too. It is really light, and has the slickest sling stud setup I have ever seen. 5 Stars *****

I think that the JP and Scott Medesha's hand guards are the lightest. The JP is pretty slick and I like the length but Scott's is the coolest-looking handguard ever with swiss-cheese cuts and all sorts of add-on rails, foregrips, flashlight mounts, and all sorts of sling attachments.  Scott's full-size handguard has a cut for the front sight assembly on a 16 inch rifle and extends out towards the muzzle on a 16 inch gun,  definitely the coolest-looking CAR ever.  Plus you can hold it correctly.

Another plug for Accuracy Speaks though.  Derrick's handguard is somewhat "fatter" (wider circumference) and fills my hand better.  It may not be as pretty but it's my favorite.

From JP's website.

"JP Heat Sink

The JP Heat Sink slips on over the barrel between the gas block and receiver to increase cooling capacity over 100%. Our heat sink is a color anodized, deep fluted sleave which when properly fitted is more functional than conventional barrel fluting and less expensive. Fluting a barrel without subsequent stress relief can be very detrimental to accuracy. The JP heat sink not only drastically improves cooling but also maintains a more uniform temperature under sustained fire and stiffens the barrel to eliminate unwanted harmonics. Available in black, red, blue or silver and when used with the JP high grade free float tubes gives a dynamic appearance in a contrasting color.

Available in black, red, blue or silver and when used with the JP high grade free float tubes gives a dynamic appearance in a contrasting color. "

jphs.jpg

Hope this helps,

-jhgtyre

ps - This thing goes under the handgaurds or at least that is where it is in some other pic's on the site.

(Edited by jhgtyre at 2:45 pm on July 11, 2002)

• 8 months later...

Right on Benny!!!!!!!

I use Briely carbon fiber free float tubes on all but my JP rifle!!! Light light light and NO heat transfer!! The Clark unit is just as good just a bit smaller in diameter!!! The only way to fly!!!!! KURT

• 3 weeks later...

On a similar note, I have been contemplating the free float tube issue also. Can anyone tell me if they have any experience regarding the accuracy of their gun before and after installation of a free float tube? I am wondering if there is any real increase in performance to justify the money.

Thanks!

Hicapmag:

Most carbines ( AR 15 type ) will see anywhere from a 1/4 -1 minute increase in bench rest accuracy. This may or may not be worth it to you to change the forearm assemble, IF YOU ONLY SHOOT OFF THE BENCH! Once you start slinging the carbine, or bolting on a bipod, or start bracing the fore end on stage props; you can change your point of impact, from your bench rest zero, up to 4 minutes from the unequal pressure exerted on the barrel by the non floated hand guards. I have seen increadable shifts in impact from hard sling tension and or bipods on non floated hand guards. A free float tube is not necessarily an accuracy enhancer as much as a accuracy ensurer in the sense that changes to the fore arm tension are not transmited to the barrel causing LARGE group shifts. KURT

As Kurt says, the "free float tube" doesn't typically add accuracy, it only ensures that the point of impact doesn't shift as you apply pressure to the fore-end with slings, bipods, rests, and just plain old gorrilla torque.

I still insist on shooting my HBAR with a standard handguard in High Power Service Rifle, and the elevation offset for me is 2 MOA from no pressure (offhand) to sitting position sling tension, with one more MOA added to the required elevations for prone sling tension.

The pressure is very hard to hold consistently, and I can easily throw shots with the slightest change in sling tension during a string (10's become 8's in a heartbeat). I really should get the DCM under-handguard tube, but I'm just a glutton for punishment. I keep saying that the day I clean a slow prone I'll do it, because I will deserve it ;~)

Regards,