Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How to get the Hornady microjust seating stem to work with a Hornady 9mm die?

Qbert

So I bought a Hornady 9mm seater with the sliding bullet sleeve and a Hornady micrometer (microjust) top seating stem, thinking they would work together.  I wanted to have a budget Redding competition seating die essentially.  

Nope, the seating stem and/or the stem on the micrometer is too short to make contact.  So either a longer seating stem or an insert so the two stems could abut would be needed.

Has anyone solved this problem?  Is Hornady or an aftermarket company making a longer seating stem for this purpose?

1 hour ago, Powder Finger said:

from what i saw on Hornaday site those  are for custom grade rifle cartridge dies

from another site

"Use with any bottleneck New Dimension seating die (sold separately)"

From what I understand, it works with the 9mm roll crimp seater, but not the newer taper crimp seaters.  And from what I can tell, Hornady doesn't sell the roll crimp seaters in 9mm anymore.  Howdy, neighbor, BTW.

I have this setup on my press. Should be using 044144 seating die and the micrometer is 044090. Make sure to remove the lock collar and rubber spacer from the seating die, micrometer screws down solid to seating die.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, jubi351 said:

I have this setup on my press. Should be using 044144 seating die and the micrometer is 044090. Make sure to remove the lock collar and rubber spacer from the seating die, micrometer screws down solid to seating die.

Thanks, jubi...You don't need the lock collar and spacer?  What are those for if they are unnecessary?

Have you found this setup to be comparable to the Redding Comp Seater?

No, I have not used the Redding. I really have no complaints other than the micrometer turns too easy and will change value slightly after 15-20 rounds so I make a point to look at the reading often. I would recommend taking some pliers to lock the two parts together as they did loosen on me with finger tight. Use some tape to avoid marring the surface.

16 hours ago, Qbert said:

From what I understand, it works with the 9mm roll crimp seater, but not the newer taper crimp seaters.  And from what I can tell, Hornady doesn't sell the roll crimp seaters in 9mm anymore.  Howdy, neighbor, BTW.

glad it looks like you got it figured.

hey back

On 10/6/2020 at 8:25 AM, Qbert said:

Thanks, jubi!  You're the man!!!

Have you found this setup to be comparable to the Redding Comp Seater (if you have used both)?

I have the hornady setup in 9 and the redding for 40. The redding is still better. Same issues jubi has mentioned, but also the numbers are incredibly hard to read on mine, and the scale doesn't work out with how much things change (same for redding on that, though, forster micro seat dies actually do what they say on the dial).

It works, though. I'm not in a hurry to replace what works, but if I was buying again I'd probably get the redding set off the bat, or do what I did for 40 where I just pieced together what I wanted (lee U sizer, universal powder funnel, hornady bullet feed die, redding seater, lee factory crimp). For 9 I'd want the redding TIC "dual ring" size die... I've been wanting to try that sucker out.

Edited by jtaylor996

Same issues jubi has mentioned, but also the numbers are incredibly hard to read on mine, and the scale doesn't work out with how much things change (same for redding on that, though, forster micro seat dies actually do what they say on the dial).

Luckily I have the newer style that has the black laser printed lines, super easy to read. Adjustments on mine are very linear, YRMV.