Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What A Disappointment

AzShooter

I finally decided to go buy a new S & W 625 today. Why? Just because I've always like the way they shoot and wanted it. And because I still have 100 moons loaded up and ready to shoot from my last 625.

Then I went to our local sporting goods store and asked to try one out. Wow how things have changed.

Maybe I'm just getting old, or too used to Randy Lee's excellent trigger jobs on my other revolvers but I had a hard time pulling the trigger on this new model. I'll bet it was 15 lbs if it was an ounce. And I sure miss the gold bead front sight.

Maybe I'll just have to wait for the next gun show and pick one up that's had a little tender loving care done to it.

You might want to check out the JM (Jerry Miculek ) version, I worked on one for a friend a few weeks ago. They come with a gold bead front sight, hard chromed hammer and trigger and Jerry's grips. With very little polishing and some new springs it was one I hated to give back. I have seen new guns on the net for less than $600 which is a great deal when you consider the extras.

The JM model might be worth the extra money, if you like a gold bead and Jerry grips. I personally do not, and would much prefer a nice used "regular" 625 in the $425-450 range.

From what I've seen, the JM model offers no advantages over the base 625 in terms of accuracy, smoothness of action, or anything else.

Mike

I finally decided to go buy a new S & W 625 today. Why? Just because I've always like the way they shoot and wanted it. And because I still have 100 moons loaded up and ready to shoot from my last 625.

Then I went to our local sporting goods store and asked to try one out. Wow how things have changed.

Maybe I'm just getting old, or too used to Randy Lee's excellent trigger jobs on my other revolvers but I had a hard time pulling the trigger on this new model. I'll bet it was 15 lbs if it was an ounce. And I sure miss the gold bead front sight.

Maybe I'll just have to wait for the next gun show and pick one up that's had a little tender loving care done to it.

I had similar feelings about the new 625 I just got. It's easy to get spoiled shooting guns that have been brought up to where they should be.

The same thing happened with the Colt 1911's years ago, great things were forthcoming as soon as the competition discovered the vast untapped market for decent NIB guns....

The JM model might be worth the extra money, if you like a gold bead and Jerry grips. I personally do not, and would much prefer a nice used "regular" 625 in the $425-450 range.

From what I've seen, the JM model offers no advantages over the base 625 in terms of accuracy, smoothness of action, or anything else.

Mike

If the JM model has the PC chrome hammer and trigger you could probably get a smoother trigger job out of it than the MIM guts. I know Randy prefers the chromed trigger for his action jobs (he uses his own hammer assembly). But I tend to agree that the JM model is for the gun mag crowd who tend to read about what we do without doing what we do. Rookies. ;)

Mike

+1

I just finished a new model 625 for a friend. Mim parts work fine except you can get better fitting with the sear on a forged hammer. Tolerances were close enough to allow smoothing the sear and trigger on this one.

I would trade my model of 1989 for a new one in a heart beat as I can get them lighter with the frame mounted pin.

Regards,

I've had really good luck slicking up the newer guns with the MIM parts. Tell you what, they typically don't need as much work to make 'em smooth! Funny--I was suspicious of the MIM stuff and the frame-mounted firing pin at first, now I actually prefer both!

My IPSC gun is a newer plain ol' 625 with MIM parts, and I'll stand the action up against just about anybody's (other than Randy's...) for smoothness. It's really been a great gun.

Remember what Jerry was shooting at Nationals? Regular, non-PC 625 with MIM guts.

Mike

Actually the only thing I found a positive on the PC 625, is the Interchangable Front Sight. I can change the front sight and it makes me feel "Good", then I want to practice. Does it help my shooting, Not this year. And a lot is to be said for concentrating on one thing.

The action, fit and finish on my PC625 (Just wanted one Pistol that I hadn't "Umm 'SMITHED"and that didn't happen anyway) were all pretty ordinary. The action work I had done by R Lee was impressive.

I finally have the thng settled in and am happy with it. But, could have saved some $$$ by going with a stock 625. Could have used that $$ to practice, or buy a fancier holster (using a Safariland 002 - 4"), but hey it gave me something to do for the last year.

What I wished I had done now, was keep looking for a Blued 25! But, then patience is not my virtue.

Check with D. Carden, he has one that fell apart. Maybe he'll donate it to you?

Dave

Mike

Hi guys :)

You are very lucky in U.S.A., in my country (Italy) the revo they are much more expensive :angry:

Task that the model JM does not have good differences regarding the normal 5" 625, I have tried 4" JM but it has not satisfied me :(

Personally I prefer the new models of series 8 to the model of 1989, the double action with MIM parts seems better and more fluid.

Now I cut the hammer (thanks Mike!) now the weight is 17 grams against 32 of the original hammer, and I change the rebound spring, the action is 4.8 lbs, for my is really good this :D

Best, Igor ;)

Used the gold bead one time in a IPSC match, never again! At least for old eyes, getting on target on brown paper with a gold bead sight is really tough, the sight fades into the target. Shooting steel is different. A good SDM fiber optic (green) is muuuuuch better!

Dick