Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which Slide for PT Frame Open Build

IVC

I managed to procure a PT long frame (living in CA, this requires some gymnastics) and am about to have a gunsmith build me a 9 major open gun. The PT EVO grip (aggressive, double undercut) is on its way, but the rest of the parts will require some shopping around, mostly out of stock or on back order. Ordering a part and returning it or similar is not an option. So...

Which slides go well with the PT frames (Clark-Para cut)? I was thinking about getting a Caspian bold slide, but can't find one in carbon in stock. Brazos has some slides that are available and I'm sure there are others. Gunsmith will have to mill the slide for popple holes and slide racker, so there will be quite a work involved no matter what... 

Any suggestions or experiences on slides in general, and how they mate with PT frames in particular, would be appreciated. 

Measure the rails on the PT frame and see what you get.  Then consider a PT slide.  If you cannot get one of them use a Brazos Custom or a JEM Guns slide.  Do not use a Caspian slide.  Their QC absolutely sucks.  Just make sure you order a slide with ways dimensions that allow you to remove some material form the frame rails for fitting.  I believe you can still order slides from Warwick Tactical.  They make nice stuff.  If you like the esthetics of the Brazos Open slide you can get one already lightened, with zig racker for $500.  Your gunsmith can get it for less.

PT doesn't sell slides anymore (I assume their in-house builds use their own slides, but I haven't seen any for sale). Thanks for the warning on Caspian's QC, that can be a pain to deal with... 

A quick follow-up question: If I use a hybrid barrel, then the popple holes are independent of the slide since the whole part of the slide is missing. It also lightens the slide. Can any slide be cut to accept hybrid barrel or are there special slides for that? I would assume it's best to start with the regular slide and just cut it to match the profile of the hybrid barrel... Correct? 

22 hours ago, IVC said:

PT doesn't sell slides anymore (I assume their in-house builds use their own slides, but I haven't seen any for sale). Thanks for the warning on Caspian's QC, that can be a pain to deal with... 

A quick follow-up question: If I use a hybrid barrel, then the popple holes are independent of the slide since the whole part of the slide is missing. It also lightens the slide. Can any slide be cut to accept hybrid barrel or are there special slides for that? I would assume it's best to start with the regular slide and just cut it to match the profile of the hybrid barrel... Correct? 

Speed Shooter's Intl has the Brazos bald unique and classic slides ( https://speedshooter.com/product-category/slides/ ).

Jem is really good but not sure on what they have in stock ( https://www.jemguns.com/Custom-Slides_c_15.html )

Tripp is also making slides, Shooter's Connection has a classic bald slide ( https://www.shootersconnectionstore.com/9mm38-Slides-C938.aspx )

Another option would be Remsport:  https://www.tr-enabling.com/product-p/sl-g-c-9-000-00-00.htm  

Atlas started selling slides but they are out of 9mm bald slides but you might want to call them to check availability ( https://atlasgunworks.com/product-category/slides )

For hybrid barrels, have you looked at SV/Infinity ( https://sviguns.com )?  You can order the slide cut for their ribbed barrels (it's a $73.12 option).  I ordered a hybrid barrel and spec'd out a slide from them on Sept 5th and it's being delivered on Monday.  Keep in mind that the new SV/Infinity slides have a proprietary breechface with integrated extractor now.  

Hope this helps.

Hope this helps.

Edited by HIREDgun45
sp

Thanks everyone - I ordered Brazos bold slide, unique cut, so it can be cut in any way necessary to match the frame. I have also a KKM threaded hybrid bull barrel 5.4" on order, and a Binary Engineering 3 port Ti compensator, so I'm good with the major parts. The rest is mostly a matter of preference and shouldn't be a problem (I have springs and some other parts lying around, doesn't seem to be a problem with out of stock anyways...) 

Even if some parts turn out to be sub-optimal, it's relatively easy (and inexpensive) to get something else. The expensive stuff is mostly set. 

1 hour ago, chrisjohn said:

What happened to Caspian?  They used to be the benchmark, and the only kind my gunsmith would use.

Not sure, but their parts have been very inconsistent for a while now.  Gary Smith was the contact there for a long time and he retired a couple of years ago.  Seems like things headed downhill right around that time, or maybe a bit before.  I still use their slides, but check them carefully before I do any work.

2 hours ago, chrisjohn said:

What happened to Caspian?  They used to be the benchmark, and the only kind my gunsmith would use.

That was a long time ago.

I'm told Caspian has independent contractors working.  When they need a batch of slides the job is assigned and they are made.  Then everything is torn down and set up for something else.  That is why there is no consistency.    Unlike ltdmast, I will never again use a Caspian slide or frame.  It makes no sense.  They aren't any cheaper than JEM's slides.  With JEM I know everything will be spot on.  And so will the next one, etc., etc.