Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Buffer testing,,,

Decided to try different buffers and see what effect it has on how my gun runs and shoots. My gun as presently configured has a Taccom 5.5" ULW superfeed barrel with their new red CF hand-guard, Taccom bolt. POF trigger, QC10 side charger upper and a FM lower with a magpul stock. A Sig R3 XL 6moa is the red dot. My gun weighs around 6lb 2oz.

For the tests I used a Tubbs flat wire carbine spring, a spacer, and a 25# wave spring at the end of the tube for all tests to try to eliminate some variables. The buffers I tested were a Taccom 3 stage with both spacers on iy, a Blitzkreig #RB5007 without the buffer weight(too long for setup), and a Omni Robusta MARRS magnetic buffer adjusted halfway in on the pre-load screw. I attached a pic of the buffers.

I shot ten rounds each with the buffers off a low ready timer start checking more for split times and grouping than outright accuracy. I was getting .20-.23 splits and could not tell if one was faster than the other or produced better hits. I attached a pic of the targets.

The final factor was how they felt to me and this is where things diverged. The Blitz seemed harsh and felt like it was providing little dampening and was bouncing off the wave spring too much. The one I have is the one with less dampening and they have a stiffer one. 

The Taccom 3 stage is the one I have the most time on and I am accustomed to how it feels and I like it. I don't feel like the wave spring comes into play with it at all and have shot it with out the wave spring, but it will lock back in that configuration and I don't want that to happen and I like the gun short stroked also.

The buffer I ended up liking the most was the Omni but it was a close call. I could shoot either buffer and actually shot the Taccom and the Omni back to back a couple of more times to continue the test because they were close. In the end I stayed with the Omni because I felt it was just a little more softer/gradual on recoil and reload.

The load I was shooting was a 121gr JHP with 4.7gns of W231 and SRP. It's a 137PF in my gun.

There is more testing to be done and I would like to try the buffers again with the wave spring out and the Blitz 2.5oz weight in front of the buffers to keep my short stroke intact and see what heavier bolt/buffers does on the running of the gun. I'm done buying buffers,,,

Buffers1.jpg

Buffers2.jpg

7 hours ago, texasdawg said:

Decided to try different buffers and see what effect it has on how my gun runs and shoots. My gun as presently configured has a Taccom 5.5" ULW superfeed barrel with their new red CF hand-guard, Taccom bolt. POF trigger, QC10 side charger upper and a FM lower with a magpul stock. A Sig R3 XL 6moa is the red dot. My gun weighs around 6lb 2oz.

For the tests I used a Tubbs flat wire carbine spring, a spacer, and a 25# wave spring at the end of the tube for all tests to try to eliminate some variables. The buffers I tested were a Taccom 3 stage with both spacers on iy, a Blitzkreig #RB5007 without the buffer weight(too long for setup), and a Omni Robusta MARRS magnetic buffer adjusted halfway in on the pre-load screw. I attached a pic of the buffers.

I shot ten rounds each with the buffers off a low ready timer start checking more for split times and grouping than outright accuracy. I was getting .20-.23 splits and could not tell if one was faster than the other or produced better hits. I attached a pic of the targets.

The final factor was how they felt to me and this is where things diverged. The Blitz seemed harsh and felt like it was providing little dampening and was bouncing off the wave spring too much. The one I have is the one with less dampening and they have a stiffer one. 

The Taccom 3 stage is the one I have the most time on and I am accustomed to how it feels and I like it. I don't feel like the wave spring comes into play with it at all and have shot it with out the wave spring, but it will lock back in that configuration and I don't want that to happen and I like the gun short stroked also.

The buffer I ended up liking the most was the Omni but it was a close call. I could shoot either buffer and actually shot the Taccom and the Omni back to back a couple of more times to continue the test because they were close. In the end I stayed with the Omni because I felt it was just a little more softer/gradual on recoil and reload.

The load I was shooting was a 121gr JHP with 4.7gns of W231 and SRP. It's a 137PF in my gun.

There is more testing to be done and I would like to try the buffers again with the wave spring out and the Blitz 2.5oz weight in front of the buffers to keep my short stroke intact and see what heavier bolt/buffers does on the running of the gun. I'm done buying buffers,,,

Buffers1.jpg

Buffers2.jpg

What was the distance to the targets?

I tried the Tubbs spring. It would not fit over the Blitz's buffer.

How did you make that work?

I was shooting at ten yards. Wasn't looking for all out accuracy, but close enough to get some speed and consistent hits.

The Tubbs spring went on okay on the Blitz buffer I had. No problem. Maybe the spring you had was a little tight on the last coil? I have had recoil springs in pistols like that. 

10 hours ago, texasdawg said:

I was shooting at ten yards. Wasn't looking for all out accuracy, but close enough to get some speed and consistent hits.

The Tubbs spring went on okay on the Blitz buffer I had. No problem. Maybe the spring you had was a little tight on the last coil? I have had recoil springs in pistols like that. 

Interesting,

My Tubbs spring would go over any other buffer but not my Blitz. Weird!

The end piece/plungerhead(?) on the Blitz is a separate machined piece attached the the plunger. Maybe the one you had was slightly off machined? Which model did you have? Wished I had ordered the other model they have with more resistant, the one I had wasn't good for the loads I am running. It probably would have worked better for 147gr loads which seem to me less sharp and quick cycling.

1 hour ago, dmshozer1 said:

Interesting,

My Tubbs spring would go over any other buffer but not my Blitz. Weird!

My Tubbs carbine spring goes over the Blitzkrieg quite easily.  I tried it for one match and took it out.  It made so much noise in the buffer tube I could not hear bullet strikes on steel.  I currently use the JP polished springs.  MUCH quieter.

1 hour ago, texasdawg said:

The end piece/plungerhead(?) on the Blitz is a separate machined piece attached the the plunger. Maybe the one you had was slightly off machined? Which model did you have? Wished I had ordered the other model they have with more resistant, the one I had wasn't good for the loads I am running. It probably would have worked better for 147gr loads which seem to me less sharp and quick cycling.

I have both,

The heavy and the light, Neither fit?

The blitz really calmed down the two rifles I have.

One is a full 16". The other is a sleeved 5"

I tried the Tubbs with other buffers. Went back

To the 308 spring and Blitz.

I think the way you hold your gun has

a lot to do with the way it recoils.

I think the recoil springs that are available for the PCC's we shoot in USPSA are much like the different buffers available to us. The way they work in our guns depends very much on what load we are shooting, whether it is a 130pf load with 165gr bullets or a 140pf load with 100gr bullets.

I would hazard to guess between the different bolts, buffers, recoil springs, and spacers to short stroke there is 100's of combinations and not what I am willing to test. The same conditions applies to a lesser extent to the open guns I used to run before the PCC's,,,