Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ar 15 Mag Springs

smokshwn

How often are you guys changing mag springs in you AR mags? What criteria do you use: timeline, round count, some other factor? Also if you change what springs Wolff, ISMI or others, which do you prefer. I know several folks just replace problem mags but my mag bodies are in great shape and I could regut them with springs for a fraction of replacement costs.

Thanks in advance, Craig

IME, mag springs don't sack anywhere near as fast as the feed lips get beat to heck.

Remember, AR mags are expendables and anyone who thinks different is a jam waiting to happen.

I recently slapped MagPul anti-dive followers into my 20 year old Sanchez GI mags that have run thousands of rounds and the original springs are still in them and they are still fine. I had 6 of these originally from the same purchase batch back in early 87 and over the years three developed cracked feed lips and got tossed. The remaining three are running fine with the MagPul followers even after many years of regular use (maybe 3-4k per mag of total usage over the years).

Beven Grams is a MagPul dealer now and working on AR mags. I showed these Sanchez GI mags to him at the Multigun Nationals last week and he said they were good to go as is and to stop wasting his time with mags that had perfectly good parts in them ;-)

But seriously, I think it would take loading to 30 and leaving it in the safe like that for a year or two to make an AR mag spring sack out.

BTW, I ain't cheap, but I am from California, so you can dig my thriftiness here ;-)

--

Regards,

I'm an engineer, which makes me the worst skinflint that ever cast his portly shadow across the earth, but even I, the undisputed Lord of the Cheapskates, would not spend $12.75 + shipping on an ISMI spring to fix a mag that costs maybe $13 delivered. I'm sure LEO's are buying them for under $10 these days. Even if the spring was $5, I wouldn't do it. Sell your old mags for $5-7 ea. to a Mechanical Engineer who lost his calculator, and buy brand new mags. The NHMTG mags rock, btw. I leave all 15 of mine loaded permanently with no ill-effects whatsoever. One of these days, I'm just going to pony up for a full case of them and have a lifetime supply.

George wrote: " MagPul anti-dive followers into my 20 year old Sanchez GI mags that have run thousands of rounds "

These followers are the shiznit. If you are worried about it, throw in a Wolff XP spring.

As for new mags, the Brownells true 30 round mags seem great & cheap - if they work then don't spend a cent on them; just buy 2 or 3 & be done with it.

We shoot 3gun indoors & drom mags onto concrete; for that reason, I did install those MagPull floorplate protectors (not what they arte meant for, but they work).

Some of my mags were bought in the mid to late 70's and still have the same springs and followers, they look like hell but run great. Now the ones I use at matches have ISMI springs and green followers just for peace of mind. If your running a lo mass bolt group I'd think twice about running extra power springs in your mags as they can bind up the works. Still running the old SP-1 lower that I got in the 70's also.

Change springs? You mean those things come apart?

I had a 30 round mag that was loaded since 1975. I took it to the range the othere day and it ran perfectly. I changed the follower to a mag pul and tried it again for 60 rounds no problem! I wouldn't worry about 30 round mag springs, and I would NEVER run an extra power spring for any reason. It just isn't needed! Kurt

I had a 30 round mag that was loaded since 1975. I took it to the range the other day and it ran perfectly

Cool, I had heard that was true before, but never heard from anyone with a specific instance to prove it. I have only left mags loaded for 3-4 months before. They always ran 100% and I am still using those mags today.

Again, the MagPul anti-dive followers really are the hot schiznit!

Extra power mag springs are not only not needed, they can be a problem unto themselves. Never, ever use extra power mag springs with a JP LMOS carrier system. The reduced LMOS carrier momentum will not strip rounds and go into battery reliably with full mags that have extra spring tension holding the rounds in place, especially when it gets a tad dirty.

--

Regards,

George and Keith ;)

Keith: sorry to miss you today at Arkcity, but family duties called. Funny how that works after being gone for 1 2/3 months :D I will see you and your stock springs at Arkansas State 3-Gun! KURT

Change springs? You mean those things come apart?

I had a 30 round mag that was loaded since 1975. I took it to the range the othere day and it ran perfectly. I changed the follower to a mag pul and tried it again for 60 rounds no problem! I wouldn't worry about 30 round mag springs, and I would NEVER run an extra power spring for any reason. It just isn't needed! Kurt

Kurt, I hope that's not YOUR loaded mag...Either that or you lied to me about your age, or you've had an AR since you were 15 :D No wonder why your shooting is so good - just like wine, or fine Italian Balsamic Vinegar, I guess :lol:

Drift off - Anyway, the only thing I changed out of my magazines are the followers, from greenies to magpull.

Edited by PacMan

Nope, it didn't start out as mine. At 16 I only had a Mini-14, and I had no use for a AR. I stored a bunch of stuff for a friend, and found the mag in the bottom of a box I opened the other day. I am happy to report that all the 68 marked WWC ball ammo also worked that it was loaded with. How do I know 75? because that was the year they boxed all thier junk up and moved overseas, when they came back they put it in storage, and I helped Tim clean out the storage after his folks moved. When I moved I inadvertently got one of Tims boxes mixed up in my stuff, you know how it goes.

I'm going to have to disagree with Kurt on this one. Remember one thing about USGI Mil-Spec magazines, LOW BID. You will probably get very good service out of the standard springs but why take the risk? Many competitors are now using lightened bolt carriers or carriers made of different materials that reduce their weight. If you reduce the weight of the carrier, you're going to increase the bolt cycle speed. Increasing your cycling speed could cause your bolt to start stripping rounds from the magazine early, which changes the feed angle into the chamber, causing some feeding problems. Installing an extra power magazine spring will help the magazing "keep up" with the faster cycling bolts. I think it's cheap insurance. I'm not running out to replace every magazine spring in my inventory, but I did "spring" (pun intended) for 4 ISMI extra power mag spring for my 3-gun AR. If you're using a standard AR with no modifications then standard magazines are probably okay. If you're using an AR with a modified operating system, I would think about using some higher quality magazine springs.

Extra power mag springs are not only not needed, they can be a problem unto themselves. Never, ever use extra power mag springs with a JP LMOS carrier system. The reduced LMOS carrier momentum will not strip rounds and go into battery reliably with full mags that have extra spring tension holding the rounds in place, especially when it gets a tad dirty.

George, I'm assuming this is with the JP aluminum carrier system, not the lightened steel one? I don't know why anyone would put a system into the rifle that tends to not last more than 2000 rounds.

Erik

Edited by Bear1142

...If you're using an AR with a modified operating system, I would think about using some higher quality magazine springs.

Erik

None of us guys from Colorado have replacement springs in our mags. The JP LMOS equipped rifles run just fine, but your mileage may varies, as the saying goes ;)

...George, I'm assuming this is with the JP aluminum carrier system, not the lightened steel one? I don't know why anyone would put a system into the rifle that tends to not last more than 2000 rounds.

Erik

I like the old alum LMOS system much better than the new stainless steel one, yes, it does not last long, but neither do a set of racing slicks :lol:

Eric, You are free to disagree with me, but I would like to point out that I was just agreeing with Keith and George, and now Hung, so in a way you are agreeing to disagree with the agreement. :D See you in 2 weeks amigo! KURT

I like the old alum LMOS system much better than the new stainless steel one, yes, it does not last long, but neither do a set of racing slicks

I don't have a problem with that either. I used to race motorcycles, now I race guns ;-)

BTW, I got 9k outa my last aloomynum Lo-mass bolt carrier. John Paul probably has it in a display case now ;-)

If you reduce the weight of the carrier, you're going to increase the bolt cycle speed. Increasing your cycling speed could cause your bolt to start stripping rounds from the magazine early, which changes the feed angle into the chamber, causing some feeding problems. Installing an extra power magazine spring will help the magazing "keep up" with the faster cycling bolt

That's what the JP adjustable gas block is for. It reduces the gas impulse applied to a lightened bolt carrier to prevent exxcess bolt speed and therefore excees rifle jiggle. The lightened carrier on it's own without an adjustable gas block and a properly specified recoil spring and buffer are a lot like racing slicks on a Yugo :P

Kurt, the boys are coming over ( Mel, Steve, maybe Pat) Friday morning for an impromptu 300 yd. test and tune. Whats that old adage about don't make big changes just before a match. Three new scopes between them. We'll be headed down after that, expect to be in Ft. Smith around 17:00. Because of your family obligations I got to win Sat. was even playing injured, so thank the family for me. Keith