Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wal-mart In New York State

My 22 year old daughter who lives in NYS (I live in CT) has decided to start shooting with me. She went into a Wal-Mart store in NYS to purchase some 9mm ammo and after proving her age, was told they could not sell the ammo to her without a Valid NYS Pistol Permit. At first this sounded somewhat legitimate knowing the anti-handgun climate in New York State (and NJ & MA).

On further thought . . . what if she had a .22 rifle or 9mm carbine rifle that does not require a pistol permit and wanted to purchase ammo?

Is this a store policy or NYS Law?

Have things really gotten this draeconian?

Even in good 'ole Wisconsin, the land of sportsman, if it can be used in a pistol (except for 22 rimfire) and a few other exempt cartridges you need to be 21 to purchase it. Rounds that were developed as handgun rounds, 38 spec, 9mm, 357, 44, 45 are all required to be 21. We don't have an ID card like IL has a FOID.

If I remember right there was a time when you had to document even 22 rimfire sales they dropped that in the Reagan Admin somewhere. Sounds like she would have had the same problem if she tried to buy from a sports shop.

Rick

My daughter went back today to the same Wal-Mart to return something else, noticed there was someone else at the sporting goods counter, made the purchase and walked away with 5 boxes of Winchester 9mm White Box value pack. Still clueless whether is was a store policy or NYS law.

Lets be careful to not "bash" on Walmart. We do have members here that put food on the table via a Walmart paycheck.

I can relate that the Walmarts here in Ohio always ask if I am buying my 9mm for "pistol" or not. It is a prompt that comes up that the cashier needs to enter.

Weird.

I have got in the habit of saying it is not "for pistol"...though it seems to find it's way into the G17 often enough. ;)

I am thankful for the low-cost, readily available ammo source...sometimes a 6AM in the morning. :)

Seems like it is policy to ask...likely because of some state regulations.

My 22 year old daughter who lives in NYS (I live in CT) has decided to start shooting with me. She went into a Wal-Mart store in NYS to purchase some 9mm ammo and after proving her age, was told they could not sell the ammo to her without a Valid NYS Pistol Permit. At first this sounded somewhat legitimate knowing the anti-handgun climate in New York State (and NJ & MA).

Which NY Walmart? After buying ammo from the Walmart in Monsey for over a year I was told by a employee that I had never seen that I needed a NY permit to buy ammo. When I produced my NJ FID I was told that it was a no go. Not one to take no for an answer I went accross the street to the police department and asked if there was a new state law and was told no.

Often times the problem with Walmart employees is that they aren't very well trained. It doesn't mean much if you are working in the electronics section but it does when you are selling firearms and ammo. Instead of guessing and being wrong and getting in legal trouble over it some employees make up excuses to avoid the situation. In my case I went back a week later and spoke with the manager of sporting goods and he admitted as much. Tell your daughter to go back in there and stand her ground. I haven't had a problem since I did, other than waiting 30 minutes to find an employee with the key for the case.

Edited by rubberneck

It is not a state law in NY.

It used to be, like 20 years ago. Store was required to keep records of who bought pistol ammo. Just saying it was for a rifle usually was good enough for them to sell without showing a permit.

Last time I purchased pistol ammo was about 10 years ago, no permit required then. Have got a lot of primers/powder/bullets since.

Even in freaking redneck, gun in every truck and on every hip, Idaho growing up when I would go buy .22LR I would be asked "pistol or rifle". As long as I said rifle I could buy as much as I wanted. Didn't take long to learn that lesson.

I have also be "carded" for spray paint in Walmart and been told I was limited to 2 cans of fluorescent paint per purchase due to local grafitti laws. Local PD had never heard of this "local law". I just took my business elsewhere.

To be fair, the next place I went also carded me for my spray paint purchase but didn't impose any limits on me.

I suspect that a lot of the problem, at least around here, is that most of the employees are college students that have come in from other areas and may have been trained elsewhere so are still trying to enforce rules from their prior training that may or may not be in effect.

I buy paint (local Steel Challenge Match Director) at Walmart all the time. The $0.94/can stuff covers as good as most $3/can name brand stuff.

Just the other day, I bought a dozen cans on my way to the match (7am). The cashier asked me what I was painting. I don't think it was store policy, she was just curious. I told her my neighbors car. :)