Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

MBX or SVI mags for newer SVI pistols

fp627

Apologies in advance if there is a recent thread on this. Search did not yield anything.

Anyways, for the newer SVI pistols (in any caliber) - the the MBX or SVI magazines generally more reliable with the least continuous modification and tuning if I do not make too many modifications to the gun and how it cycles and feeds ammo? Or is this going to be caliber, length, or other factor specific? (ex: maybe MBX magazines are better for 9mm, SVI magazines for 38 super, STI magazines only for such and such mag lengths, etc.).

Hello: What caliber are you looking at. For 40 the STI mags work just fine and are less expensive. For 9mm I say try to get some old style SVI's. For 45 I have only used STI's. For 38 super/super comp the STI, and SVI's work great. From what I have seen the MBX's have been hit or miss for 9mm and 38 super/super comp. Thanks, Eric

Well, with 5 or so SVIs in various calibers I am bias towards SVI tubes.  I know lots of folks that like MBX but I do not have any nor do I have a desire to own any.  Just a personal preference not a slam on MBX.

SVI tubes both old and new work in my guns (9/40/45) (140 and 170mm). There are some SVI followers that permit an extra round.  However, as I replace Grams or Dawson components I tend toward TTI. Nothing wrong with Grams/Dawson stuff but working 15 minutes from Taran's place and going to major matches with him I hope you can see why I use his stuff.  His stuff is great, the price is reasonable.  I color code the base pads to match the calibers-cheesey but effective for a super senior.

STI mags, IMO, are not quality of SVI.