Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Are Afterrmarket Barrels For Glock Worth It?

Newguy

I finally benchrested the G34 with myself and someone else shooting. At 10-15 yds it grouped at less than 2" with Blazer 115 gr. and a little less with WWB. At 25 yds the groups opened up big time.

After reading this thread and others on GT, I've begun to believe that pre-fitted barrels generally don't increase accuracy, except if you have a Glock that's REALLY bad to begin with. I've read some threads on GT where shooters swear that pre-fit KKM or Storm Lake Barrels have dramatically improved their gun's accuracy. I believe them and I also believe people who say it doesn't make a difference. It seems to depend on the gun and the fit of the original barrel.

I agree that USPSA targets are large. But, sometimes there's a lot of black and white around them. In fact, I'm seeing fewer wide open targets in matches. I want to know that if I get a mike or D, it's me not the gun. It's about confidence.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

...I want to know that if I get a mike or D, it's me not the gun. It's about confidence.

I agree with that, absolutely. I *never* want to wonder -- is it the gun? Given the cost of everything else, the slight additional cost is pretty painless all-in-all.

Anyway. Blowing hot and cold on this issue, in a serious way. Shot yesterday and carefully. I now think I might have *lost* a tad of accuracy with the G35 barrel, but not enough to worry about. OTOH, I started getting some decent groups (finally) with the G34 for the first time since I've owned it. They ranged from 1.7" in this picture, at 25y, to about 2.5". All were shot with Blazer 115g brass case.

This is a significant difference, from previous experience, and I'm delighted. It's a shame shipping a pistol is such a hassle or expense, or I would have sprung for a fitted Bar-Sto.

kkm.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Not taking anyone's advice (a serious personality flaw), I decided to try a Storm Lake barrel in my G34. Although Storm Lake is cheaper than a KKM barrel, I figured they would shoot about the same.

The Storm Lake ran flawlessly. It ate WWB and Blazer without any reliability problems. In short, it was as reliable as the original barrel. Some posters had mentioned tight chambers. Storm Lake may have redesigned their barrels since the chamber was actually a little looser than the Glock barrel.

Although the Storm Lake was slightly tighter and had less side-to-side and up-and-down play than the Glock barrel, this didn't seem to translate into any noticeable improvement in accuracy. Both barrels shot about the same. I was a little disappointed since the shiny Storm Lake barrel "looked" like it should be more accurate.

I have Barsto barrels in My G21 and my G17. Both will shoot sub-2" groups at 25 yards with decent handloads off a rest.

I also have a G24 with a stock barrel. It will also shoot sub-2" groups off a rest.

Do I think the aftermarket barrels are worth the expense? Yes, as they allow me to shoot handloads using non-jacketed bullets without concern, and because they add a modicum of accuracy in over-all grouping, adding cutting 1-3" from all groups.

However, the main thing all three pistols share, which I believe has contributed more to the accuracy of the pistols than the barrels, is that all three have precision slide locks installed. They greatly improve lockup, and they are much cheaper than new barrels.

Andy C.

Thanks of the input. The consensus seems to be that I'd be wasting my money. Apparently no one saw a major accuracy increase using a pre-fitted barrel. Guess I'll spend the $100+ somewhere else.

Thanks for joining in there Clay A. I don't mind asking questions. I thought that I knew a thing or two about Glocks. I have two G34s one set up for Production/SSP and one set up for Limited/ESP. I'll admitt when I don't know something, but am curious to learn.

The slide lock/takedown lever is the little thing you pull down to remove the slide. The barrel makes contact with it and it keeps the barrel/slide from moving forward.

There are a couple of mfgrs that make oversized slidestops/takedown levers. Actually, some just find a stock one that locks the barrel up tight and trial fit until one is acceptable.

T.R. Graham is having some slide locks made that will be ready within the next couple of months or so. You can reach im at Ph. 678-517-0988 or grhm458@cs.com

I have a feeling that T.R. Graham is going to have a pleasant surprise when he checks his email on Monday!

T.R. Graham showed me one of his slide locks at a gunshow. As much as I begged, he wouldn't sell me the only one he had left.

IIRC, T.R. explained that it wasn't that the slide lock was extended, but that the groove in his was narrower than the Glock part and was straight/true. T.R. gave me an old Glock slide lock he had lying around he knew was straight. Although the lockup on my original barrel was still sloppy, it was about 50% tighter. I suspect the barrel fit would be even tighter if I had a properly fit slide lock.

Somebody did a write-up on these (Robin Taylor in Front sigyht??).

As with other things Glock...most guns already had a good fit and showed no difference with the new part. Others (not as well fit), show a slight increase in accuracy (12% comes to mind).

(There has got to be a thread or ten on these on GT.)

Sorry it has taken me so long to get back to this thread..... I got all of my precision slide locks from TR. IMO, they are worth the money, which is substantially less than an aftermarket barrel.

They are dimensionally exactly the same as the stock part, however, the little serrations that your fingers touch when taking down the pistol are much sharper, and easier to hold on to. Looking at the weapon, you can see no difference.

As far as a difference in accuracy; it has been a while since I did side-by-side comparisons, but working from memory, I experienced at least a 2" shrinkage (ha! I said "shrinkage"!) in group size at 25 yards, independant of the aftermarket barrels, in both my 21 and my 17.

You do not need an aftermarket barrel to make use of this part.

Andy C

As with other things Glock...most guns already had a good fit and showed no difference with the new part. Others (not as well fit), show a slight increase in accuracy (12% comes to mind).

Edited by andrewcolglazier

i did a search on "precision slide locks" in the general glocking section and came up empty.

I Googled it and came up dry, too. Same thing with Brownells online, but then I can never get anywhere with their search engine.

• 3 weeks later...
T.R. Graham is having some slide locks made that will be ready within the next couple of months or so. You can reach im at Ph. 678-517-0988 or grhm458@cs.com

Was anybody able to get ahold of Mr. Graham via email? Two weeks and nary a reply on my end...

• 6 months later...
Sorry it has taken me so long to get back to this thread..... I got all of my precision slide locks from TR. IMO, they are worth the money, which is substantially less than an aftermarket barrel.

They are dimensionally exactly the same as the stock part, however, the little serrations that your fingers touch when taking down the pistol are much sharper, and easier to hold on to. Looking at the weapon, you can see no difference.

As far as a difference in accuracy; it has been a while since I did side-by-side comparisons, but working from memory, I experienced at least a 2" shrinkage (ha! I said "shrinkage"!) in group size at 25 yards, independant of the aftermarket barrels, in both my 21 and my 17.

You do not need an aftermarket barrel to make use of this part.

Andy C

http://www.glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=...mp;pagenumber=1

It would appear that many people have seen good results with this 'precision slide lock'. I'm planning to order one for my Glock 19. They are available from The Glock Guy.

Arnie

worth it in a 40, 100 percent

in a 9mm, i would suggest swithcing ammo before ta barrel change

WWB ammo is good, but its not known for super accuracy..in my 9mm carbine, No ball ammo shot as good as some of my JHP handloads with accurate arms number 7

I like to sacrifice a chicken, and smear some of the blood around under my hairline, and into my armpits. I always make sure to carry 3 quarters in my right hand pocket, all from no later than 1974...

Guys....

The slide lock stops the barrel going forward, where it has long been in planar contact with the locking block, holding it up, hard against the inside top of the slide. The accuracy of the fit is between the locking block and the barrel, the front of the ejection port cut and the corresponding spot on the barrel, and the breechface cut and that lug above the chamber.

"straight and true"?? who cares? It can pivot, it's spring retained, and it's sitting in a plastic channel! There is an upper limit to the dimensional tolerances of an injection molding and they are far looser than can create the effects you're describing.

All it could (it doesn't, but if it could) affect is the front/rear positional repeatability of the fit, which would create angular changes proportional to the surface finish irregularity of the barrel, locking block and inside top of the slide (which are ncie and smooth, especially on a broken in gun). And since the running fit type clearance is larger (of necessity) than the finish spec, what you're describing is impossible. We're talking about angular changes in the micron (millionth of a meter) over the ~110 mm length of the barrel. No discernable effect. Moreover, these angular changes are many orders of magnitude smaller than than provided by the required clearances for operation.

Simplest explaination: Psychological effect. Save your money.