Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Match etiquette/ expectation question. Opinions requested.

-JCN-

Assuming this is the usual 'we need everyone to help set up and tear down' type club, not one with paid or dedicated setup/teardown crews...

If the club is setting up dumb "memory" stages, that's on them, and just one stage left where the setup crew is being crazy fiddly about something may be different, but if you're walking stages while others are being setup, it's a dick move by default so don't be surprised if a target changes or fault line moves or port closes last-minute and screws up your planning.

You may help out other times but other people see you walking through and then they do too and pretty soon the setup crew notices and they're not going to say "well, it's ok for him because he helps out later, but those other people are dicks".

5 hours ago, AverageJoeShooting said:

5 mins is all you need.

If the stages are simple and you are not trying to work around a crowd of other folks, and perhaps it is easier if you are shooting a high capacity gun.  

Last time I noticed one of the top pros at a level 2 match he came a day early and watched folks shoot every stage and I assume spent time on the stages after that days shooting was done. 

22 minutes ago, IHAVEGAS said:

Last time I noticed one of the top pros at a level 2 match he came a day early and watched folks shoot every stage and I assume spent time on the stages after that days shooting was done. 

I'm not a top pro, but I pretty much always come a day early to big matches. part of the fun for me is looking at stages, thinking about shooting, planning, etc...

55 minutes ago, IHAVEGAS said:

If the stages are simple and you are not trying to work around a crowd of other folks, and perhaps it is easier if you are shooting a high capacity gun.  

yea...i do shoot open so i start with 29+1