Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dry Firing Only.

gravedigger

If you do so correctly it will engrain many habits that are bound to carry over into Live fire. There are a great number of us here on Enos that for various reasons (my own were financial) did not spend hardly any time on the range. Though you will not improve as quickly, it is far better than the alternative!

I agree with Steve.

I practically don't live fire;I've shot less than 600 rounds since april, and those where in matches.

However, I've seen a HUGE, steady improvement through dryfiring. No doubt about it.

One thing to note though, is that I don't practice dryfire with par times or specific standard excercises, such as an El Presidente, for example. I use dryfire to develop neutrality, a tension free mind/body state and economy of motion. So far it's working! :)

I believe that dry fire is just as effective as live fire at honing the fundamentals. Dry fire can take you wherever YOU want it to. It took Steve Anderson to GM. A little live fire verification once in a while is a good thing, but IMO live fire is not the end all a lot of folks make it out to be.

PAR time dry fire of standards and simple stages is a dynamite way to improve at shooting them. It's not just for fundamentals anymore.

Edited by George

Ever since I figured out that dry-fire practice was not just pulling the trigger, I've spent at least twice as much time training at home as I do at the range. I've been able to fix a lot of things that I couldn't seem to do while at the range. I use par times and specific drills one time, then no par times and everything in slow motion the next time. Really focusing and feeling every movement then slowly working up the speed until I start to fumble, then back off a bit and work up at a slower pace. I believe that I am getting better training without the timer, but the timer is needed in order to put some pressure on you to push your baseline time down and track your improvement. I ordered Steve Anderson's book a month ago and really like it, it has some great drills in it and good times to shoot for.

In my experience, dry-fire only is better in open than in limited or prod.

The sole target focus means you can achieve some jaw-dropping times in open on my drills very quickly.

With iron sights, it's important to shoot more bullets to keep the shifting focus skills alive.

If you cannot get to the ramge, then dry firing exclusively is a no-brainer!!!

SA

As Steve says...with irons sights, it is vital to keep up the work on shifting focus.

Dry firing with iron sights, after skills work, I spend most of my target work on getting the visual focus out to find the exact target, then in to find the razor sharp focus on the front sight. Repeat, repeat, repeat.

None of those targets side by side...mix them up. Near, far...high, low...long transitions and short...

(Now...when was the last time I dry-fired? Been a while. It sure shows in the shooting.)

I agree with Steve and Kyle. Dry fire practice has helped me out a lot. I don't have the time or a local range to do live fire practice, so dry fire is what I do in between matches. I would recommend Steve's dry fire book to anyone. I still use it and I've had it for over a year.

• 4 weeks later...

From the replies, it sounds like dry fire makes up most of everybody's practice. Its nice to get to the range everyonce in a while, but it doesnt always fit into the "schedule". Dry fire is a must to see any improvement in your shooting.

Lanny Bassham won a Nationals rifle title after ONLY being able to dry fire for a year or two because of his military obligations. His skills were, of course, considerable at the time but he was able to maintain / improve them through dry fire sufficient to win a national title. Says something about the importance of dry fire practice.

I started dry firing with Steve Andersons system in an attempt to improve my skills and I agree with what Steve says.

I also think that familiarity with the equipment is one of the most important aspects to improvement. Rob Leatham has said that he is constantly handling his firearms and is always picking them up and acquiring sight picture. Supposedly Bruce Lee was like this, he was always training, he lifted weights all day, practiced moves and worked on technique all the time.

When I am at home I specify certain drills from Steves book but I will have the firearm out when I am doing other things just to pick it up and look at the sights and do some mag changes and trigger prep.

I made A class almost solely through dry fire, and shooting at a couple of matches a month. Familiarization with equipment and refinement of technique goes a long way.

It's not a replacement for live fire practice - it's a companion. I hit a point where just doing dry fire wasn't doing me any appreciable good, anymore, and I had to pick up regular live fire practice to start seeing gains again - and then dry fire started helping again, too. If you can do them in conjunction with one another, that would be ideal.

I'd also recommend getting some 1-on-1 training with a pro to make sure you're practicing the right stuff, and have some good technique to focus on learning, etc :) Those three things will have you in Master class in no time :)

One other great benefit of fry fire is the lack of negative reinforcement.

When we shoot bullets, we have the mental effects of the holes in the targets to judge after we judge the technique of how they got there.

You may have a great run and see some technical benefit but be dismayed by bad hits. You might then leave the range with a negative self image. This is very detrimental to your mental game.

In dry fire, all you have is the technique with no negative input. This is good for you and builds confidence and self-image.

When you put it all together, and your circles are balanced (Bassham) you are unbeatable except by someone with larger, equally balanced skill circles.

SA

In dry fire, all you have is the technique with no negative input. This is good for you and builds confidence and self-image.

True, but it is required that you stay very true to yourself in dry fire. I have had some problems, because of the lack of any feedback of where the shots went.

But as soon as you get this down, things start gong the right way fast.

• 1 year later...

Hi! I'm new to handguns and bought my first one about 2 weeks ago. I have a XD .40 service and I really like it. I have been doing a lot of dryfiring practice sessions and I thought I would pass along something that I'm doing. I am sitting at my computer with my gun in hand and practicing dry fire sessions with this target:

dryfirepracticedn2.jpg

Edited by XP40fromTX

Lanny Bassham won a Nationals rifle title after ONLY being able to dry fire for a year or two because of his military obligations. His skills were, of course, considerable at the time but he was able to maintain / improve them through dry fire sufficient to win a national title. Says something about the importance of dry fire practice.

I believe it was a World title, and not National - regardless, if it's dry fire or nothin', dry fire it is!!

Lots of good stuff out there to make it not so boring, and it WILL help you with your fundamentals if you're not lazy in working on your technique.

Much good info posted previously. I would add that dryfire "training" like livefire "training" should be done with a goal in mind.

One would be best served to have a training plan for the day or session. When the session is over, you can then reflect back on whether or not you think you met the goal for that session. This is the most effective way to train. Plan training to improve specific skills whether they be draw, target acquisition, reload or critical sight alignment and trigger control.

Isolate the task, develop the training plan to improve the skills needed to achieve the task, work on perfecting the task until goal is reached. After goal for that task is achieved, work on another task, and another. Shooting (training) is best if done like other sports. That being work on skills required as isolated tasks. The act of shooting is putting multiple tasks together in a fluid progression.

Practice makes perfect only if the practice is perfect.

MJ

I dryfire 20 times more than I do live fire. It's good to affirm at the range what you are practicing (hopefully Steve Andersons drills) at home.

Living in cold-freakin Ohio, dryfire is an excellent way to stay sharp during the off season.

Dry firing can take you a long way – when done correctly and follow the rules.

I use to shoot a lot once upon a time - and always before going to a match it never hurt to do a little practice before live fire begins.

But all practice is better and if you can tape your sessions, then you can review what you have done.

Sight alignment and trigger control is the key and can pay off if practiced correctly.