Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rl1100 has shipped, question regarding powder

Hey guys, I posted a bit ago about a rl1100.  Just got notice from my dealer that it has magically shipped MUCH faster than expected with everything to get going on 9mm. 

my question now is about powder.  I was waiting to order my components since I was not expecting to see the machine till aug or so.

i have a proven load on my single stage setup.  124gr jacketed round nose from rmr.  4.0 gr titegroup and cci small pistol primer.  Is it safe to assume this load will work well on new Dillon machine?  I was going to order a bulk amount of each component to get ready for some serious loading.

before I place the order for supplies to crank 10k+ rounds out, does this seem in line with what others have success with?  Does titegroup meter well in Dillon systems?

3 hours ago, Stockwes said:

Hey guys, I posted a bit ago about a rl1100.  Just got notice from my dealer that it has magically shipped MUCH faster than expected with everything to get going on 9mm. 

my question now is about powder.  I was waiting to order my components since I was not expecting to see the machine till aug or so.

i have a proven load on my single stage setup.  124gr jacketed round nose from rmr.  4.0 gr titegroup and cci small pistol primer.  Is it safe to assume this load will work well on new Dillon machine?  I was going to order a bulk amount of each component to get ready for some serious loading.

before I place the order for supplies to crank 10k+ rounds out, does this seem in line with what others have success with?  Does titegroup meter well in Dillon systems?

I only use N320 in my 9mm; but I feel confident there are a ton of reloaders using Titegroup powder on various Dillon presses including the RL1100's brother the S1050. 

And the RL1100 is using the same Powder Measure as the 550, 650, 1000, and 1050 presses!

IMO, once you get your OAL set to the same specs via the seating die;  get the powder quantity set to 4.0, and check your crimp and other press settings once your ready to load, you'll be able to produce that "proven load" as well as what you were doing before..........just a lot quicker!  😁

Good luck!

15 hours ago, Stockwes said:

I think the best thing you could possibly do would be to recreate your current load. 

You would have a known baseline to compare against.

Going from a single stage to an 1100 will be a bit of a learning curve under the best of circumstances and there is no point in making it more difficult by trying to develop a new load at the same time.

2 hours ago, George16 said:

I had been using the same load dat between my 550 and 650 without any problems. I will be going to use the same load data on my 1100 once I receive it.

I think that is a great idea. Once you are up to speed on the 1100 you can start branching out.

(And having a 550 around for load development is not a bad thing.)

6 minutes ago, ddc said:

I think that is a great idea. Once you are up to speed on the 1100 you can start branching out.

(And having a 550 around for load development is not a bad thing.)

Yup. Will do once I received it. 

The 550 is strictly being used for load development now. I might sell it after I get the 1100.

On 6/4/2020 at 11:05 PM, teros135 said:

Why would anyone use different load data when loading on a different machine?  The load is the load  It's not machine-dependent, it's gun- and shooter-dependent. 

I suspect his question is more around the lines of does that powder, bullet and primer perform well with the RL1100 as opposed to if the load itself works.  Clearly same bullet, same primer, same powder charge etc. it wouldn't matter if you loaded it on 20 different presses it should be the same.   But without experience with a specific press you just don't necessarily know if plays nice with CCI primers or Titegroup.  It's a fair question before ordering bulk supplies.  Probably the best answer is run off a small batch first before ordering too much.

Edited by codemonkey