Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Picking A Major 9 Load

PaulW

Ok as most know I have been playing around with the 9mm Major for, heck a few years it seems. I have tried so many different load variations it's got me confused. Now I'm wondering if I'm really putting to much thought into it. This past weekend we shot the Monster Match. I shot 90% of the available points, which to me sucks. I just could not seem to get a clear called shot. I mean one where I knew for certain it was an Alpha or whatever. Seems like either I'm not seeing what I need to see of the the dot is just not doing what I want it to. In super I shot N350 for years and years. Now shooting 9 I have yet to say "wow, that is nice" to any load I try. What I want is a load that is consistant, fairly clean, fairly flat and with as little dot oscillation as posible. I think part of the problem is switching loads so often. I need to pick one and run with it, but which one? I have loaded the following for test and evaluation this weekend.

N350 - 125's

7625 - 125's

Hs7 - 115's

Silhouette - 115's

Silhouette - 125's

I have tried all the above and also hs6, 3n37, true blue, 3n38(very limited) , power pistol and n340.

Not sure what my question is, just looking for some feedback. How did you settle on your load?

Edited by PaulW

I am starting to play with loads again. I have been using a miltary sub gun powder, but I get a lot of dot jumping. I am going to do some messing around with loudshot(longshot), 7625, and true blue. I will be comparing them to the WC818 the mil spec powder.

I prefer 115gr bullets, but may also try some 124's to compare how the dot tracks.

I settled on my load pretty easily, it's the one my gunsmith recommended and it works just fine. 7.6gr 3N37, 124gr JHP MG, WIN brass, Federal SRP. Going to switch to CMJ bullets soon.

I'm just too lazy to muck around a bunch with loads, find one that makes major, is a powder you can get, and feels right, then shoot a ton of it.

Not sure what my question is, just looking for some feedback.  How did you settle on your load?

First, figure out what's a major load for each, and load all to the same PF (say, 170, or so). Then, figure out what's important to you. Combination of accuracy, consistent dot movement, feel in your hand, price and availability of components, cleanliness of the load, etc. Assess each load for accuracy - discard any that do not meet your desired accuracy level. Then, load up 100 or so of the rest. Compare them side by side for the other dynamic factors. Figure out how much price factors against the dynamic factors for you. Pick the one that best meets the needs.

Then, don't look back and 2nd guess yourself. :) You might also note a "runner up", in case you need to fall back to something else if you can't get the powder of choice, etc. You might also reassess between the two if you switch bullet styles (which might affect accuracy negatively), or something like that.

You might also find it helpful to do the subjective stuff (feel, dot movement, etc) twice on different days, to see if your perspectives change. I found it useful to have a buddy load the mags, and write notes for me, too, so that it was a blind test. I ended up settling on 124gr heads w/ N350 at the time.

Not sure what my question is, just looking for some feedback.  How did you settle on your load?

First, figure out what's a major load for each, and load all to the same PF (say, 170, or so). Then, figure out what's important to you. Combination of accuracy, consistent dot movement, feel in your hand, price and availability of components, cleanliness of the load, etc. Assess each load for accuracy - discard any that do not meet your desired accuracy level. Then, load up 100 or so of the rest. Compare them side by side for the other dynamic factors. Figure out how much price factors against the dynamic factors for you. Pick the one that best meets the needs.

Then, don't look back and 2nd guess yourself. :) You might also note a "runner up", in case you need to fall back to something else if you can't get the powder of choice, etc. You might also reassess between the two if you switch bullet styles (which might affect accuracy negatively), or something like that.

You might also find it helpful to do the subjective stuff (feel, dot movement, etc) twice on different days, to see if your perspectives change. I found it useful to have a buddy load the mags, and write notes for me, too, so that it was a blind test. I ended up settling on 124gr heads w/ N350 at the time.

If you want help.....Sorry dude, I'm in the same boat as you. I'm glad Xre has made up his mind, because I can't. I'm still looking for more dot stability. For now, I've settled on 7.8g of 3N37 over a 124g MG CMJ. It's good, but I'm still looking for a good 115g load. I shot some 115's at the last local match and my hits were definitely closer together.

Matt Trout mentioned that he looks at how close the 2 shots are together when testing loads. Even to put a second target further out and checking the further target too. Which made a lot of sense to me. The closer the pair is together the less you are effected by recoil or the more effectively the load is working the comp. 115's are out performing the 124's for that. I'd like to see good dot tracking and a close pair.

Then yesterday happened. My open mentor brought 8 little baggies full of different loads to try. I feel like I'm back at square one. The HS-6 under 115's felt great and made major easily. The 3n37 and Silhouette with 115's also felt better. Softer, with better dot tracking then any of the 124's that I've tested.

Paul, thanks again for all of your help developing loads. Please let us know what the BIG winner is.

I'm glad Xre has made up his mind, because I can't.

That was 6 years ago w/ old Major :) I wouldn't know what I'd use, now, if I had an Open gun. But... I know how I'd figure it out :)

Somehow, it doesn't suprise me that 115s might end up softer at 165 Major - more gas... about the same velocity that we used to drive 124s at for old Major. There might be a "right" combo in there... maybe it works the gun better than 124s at current PF... who knows... The 121s have some merit for some folks, too...

Paul, it figures once I settled on a load of 8.1 of Silhouette under my 125's you let me shoot some 115's and get me wondering.

Now the big matches are over for a while its time to start playing with loads again. I have a bunch of Silhouette thanks to Eric so its time to play with 115's and Sil.

Let me know if you need to chrono.

I need to chrono!!!

Shooting pairs is fine but that can be changed by changing spring weight to some degree. Once I settle on a load I then do the 10yrd pair test and play with spring weights and get the gun where I feel it is the best.

I know there is not magic bullet and I just need to pick on and run with it. But I want the best for my gun and my shooting style.

getting two hits close together on a double tap doesn't have that much to do with the powder being used. having two bullet holes touching one another is timing, timing of the split vs the slide movement.

jerry barnhart said in his class to test different recoil springs. a lighter or heavier recoil spring will get your doubles closer together.

i like what Xre has to say about testing.

MMM, magic beans...

since the demise of SP2 in north america, i think the best 9mm major powder is going to be 3n38 over a 124-135 grain bullet.

probably gonna be looking for about 8.4-8.8 grains of 3n38 and a 135 zero..i guess the only way to know is to try..

in the 9mms ive shot, SP2 was the only powder that made me say "i Like that!" though 7625 wasnt bad either,,,i just fear the self-decapping 9mm.

I hope 3n38 is as good as SP2..

i think the heavier bullet would get a better "burn" on the 3N38..

it will also require less powder...limited you have a couple of shooters who shoot 200s and heavier, and the rest of them shoot 180s or thereabout.

I think it would be neat to try...and the heavier bullet might give you the predictability you were looking for.

harmon

• 1 month later...

From the rob leatham website "Reloads: Nosler 135 gr. FMJ, Vihtavuori N350 powder, Starline brass, WW primers"

http://www.robleatham.com/vaultequipuspsaopen.htm

im not wealthy enough to shoot Nolser bullets and new starline 9mm brass but i can do the N350 and zero brand 135 grain bullets...for high pressure loads, Fed205s work great.

Ill try some with N350, 3n38 and give the 7625 a try...though it seems to generate alot of chamber pressure..

Paul, How do you like the ramshot silhouette?

• 1 month later...

Ok so all that talk about which load. Here is what I've settled on...well for now anyways.

9.2 HS-6 115 gr JHP Zero @ 1.160 - Shoots good, fairly dirty, and clouds up the c-more.

8.6 Silhouette 115 ge JHP Zero @ 1.160 - A little more push in the hand but a tad better in vertical dot movement. I'm gonna shoot this load for the next few months. Side by side with the HS-6 load above and I could not tell a bit of difference.

8.0 Silhouette 125 gr JHP Zero @ 1.160 - Shoots very well. The load I would use in a Bedell Shorty.

There you have it. So I have 2 or 3 pet loads that I can shoot. Another good powder was Power Pistol, just don't shoot in low light or indoors, major fireball.

major fireball.

yep..its really LOUD and has a mega-fireball out of my super...and it gets worse driving 115s to major!

my niner should be ready in a week and a half...and right now the two powders i have on hand are HS6 and Power pistol. Im gonna get the 3n38 to try soon though.

paul, what did you think about N350? is the case too full to load? ill be loading a 5 inch trubore without any extra ports drilled into the barrel. that should require less powder than a ported shorty.