Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Alternatives to Dillon Trim Dies

Is there anyone else who makes trim dies for the Dillon trimmers?  With Dillon being out of stock and who knows when they will come back in stock I'm looking for alternatives in 223.

I saw online CH4D makes compatibile dies but few people have had them break, they were using the RT1500 but I will be using the RT1200 which I believe is a lil lighter.

Thanks

1 hour ago, RGA said:

Hi JohnnyD,

Lyman also makes a trim die.

https://www.lymanproducts.com/brands/lyman/dies-die-sets/pro-dies/lyman-pro-trim-dies

Stay safe,

RGA

Thanks RGA

Those look like they might work, not sure on thread for the RT1200 but I would assume they are the same.  I got a great deal on a RT1200 last night that came with a different trim die I don't need.  Hopefully I can find a die soon.

CH4D break??? How? I have trimmed thousands of 30-30 cases, hundreds of 8mm Mauser cases, thousands of 30 carbine cases, thousands of Grendel cases, hundreds of x54 cases on my CH4D trim dies. They size perfectly.

Only trim die I have ever had problems with is a very expensive 30-06 Dillon Carbide die. It leaves a ring in brass. I sent it back with bad cases and cases to size to Dillon and they told me to go pound sand so I let’s just say they won’t be getting my trim die business again. 

Edited by DJRyan13

2 hours ago, DJRyan13 said:

CH4D break??? How? I have trimmed thousands of 30-30 cases, hundreds of 8mm Mauser cases, thousands of 30 carbine cases, thousands of Grendel cases, hundreds of x54 cases on my CH4D trim dies. They size perfectly.

Only trim die I have ever had problems with is a very expensive 30-06 Dillon Carbide die. It leaves a ring in brass. I sent it back with bad cases and cases to size to Dillon and they told me to go pound sand so I let’s just say they won’t be getting my trim die business again. 

Not sure...I read one review with that and another saying they had an issue with it.  I have only heard good things but didn't want to spend $80+ on a die that doesn't work.

Glad yours is working well.

$80 now? Think I always paid $60 or so. But it’s been a while. 

Oh my...

Funny thing about CH4D is they do backorders... And EVENTUALLY they will call you. It took them about 2 years to come around to making me a 7.5x54 French trim die. By that time, I had forgotten I even reloaded that round. I didn’t need it by then but I figured what the heck. Maybe I will pull that out this weekend finally. ;)

Edited by DJRyan13

Yah I was hoping to have soon not months and months down the road.

I ordered the Lyman, says in stock.  However they said about a month ago to expect shipping delays till eight about now so we'll see.

Thanks everyone I will report back when I get it.

Screenshot_20200421-231245.png

Let us know how it works out. The Dillon trim dies are SB. I wonder if that is the same with the Lyman. It’s fine for the calibers I have them in like 308, 223. I have seen folks swear up and down that SB isn’t needed but then they say they are using a Dillon trim die. ha!

Will do.

I used to run a regular Lee FL die and had no issues.  I got a smoking deal on a RCBS SB set from Amazon a year or two ago for $20 so switched to that.  Honestly can't tell much difference besides a little more force to resize.  Function was always fine with Lee but the added piece of mind is nice.

Now to acquire a 223 conversion kit for the 650.  Will try trimmer in turret press for now whenever die shows up.

• 11 months later...
On 4/21/2020 at 11:31 PM, JohnnyD said:

Will do.

I used to run a regular Lee FL die and had no issues.  I got a smoking deal on a RCBS SB set from Amazon a year or two ago for $20 so switched to that.  Honestly can't tell much difference besides a little more force to resize.  Function was always fine with Lee but the added piece of mind is nice.

Now to acquire a 223 conversion kit for the 650.  Will try trimmer in turret press for now whenever die shows up.

Any updates? 

I ordered a RT1500 and trim Die 12-05-20 told 8 weeks BO on trim die.  At 12 weeks was told 14 weeks, at 15 weeks now told 24 weeks, I'm done with them.

I have a couple CH4D trim dies.  They work fine.

I had bad luck with a Dillon carbide 223 trim die.  Tried a second and it still didnt work.  Went back to steel, but my Dillon carbide 300 and 308 trim dies are excellent.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/25/2021 at 7:16 PM, ML123 said:

Any updates? 

I ordered a RT1500 and trim Die 12-05-20 told 8 weeks BO on trim die.  At 12 weeks was told 14 weeks, at 15 weeks now told 24 weeks, I'm done with them.

To be honest it's sat on my shelf since I got it.  I confirmed the trimmer screwed into it but that was about it.

I had plans on shooting some 3gun last year and well this year but the main club I want to shoot at changed their shooting weekend again to my home clubs USPSA weekend and I RO and support them first....so probably going to sit awhile.  With that said a few weeks ago I back ordered an actual Dillon trim die if I ever get around to actual loading up some 223 lol

On 3/26/2021 at 10:38 AM, Tom Freeman said:

I have a couple CH4D trim dies.  They work fine.

I had bad luck with a Dillon carbide 223 trim die.  Tried a second and it still didnt work.  Went back to steel, but my Dillon carbide 300 and 308 trim dies are excellent.

Thanks I called CH4D and they are on backorder for a YEAR!!

Anyone use the Lyman Pro 223 trim die?

https://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman-pro-trim-dies