Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Crimp Die Sticking With New Brass

JatCarver

I decided this season I’m going to load my match ammo with new brass so I picked up some starline 9mm brass. Right away I noticed the crimp die was sticking very hard. I looked into this and from what I read it’s common with new brass and especially starline. 

I’m belling very little and I only have the crimp die set to remove the flare, not actually crimping any. Its a Dillon die if that matters. 

Just thought I would ask if anyone has seen this and has a solution. I’m ok to just leave it as is since I’m only loading 2k and already have 500 of them done. Just thought I would ask. 

1 hour ago, NMBOpen said:

30 minutes in the corncob after loading, then gauge all rounds.

I have done this in the past but the issue is with HPs the media gets stuck in the open tips and then can fall out in the mags under recoil. Not ideal. 

Yes, I use spray Silicone and it works fine.  I like One Shot but switched Silicone because One Shot was getting expensive.  I noticed that One Shot smelled like Silicone so I decided to try just plain Silicone.  Much cheaper and seems to be just as effective.  Caution, don't breathe the fumes of either and keep away from ignition sources - both are high flammable due to the propellant gas they use.  I wear nitrile gloves when spraying my cases because I roll them around in a pan with my hands.  But once dry I don't worry about handling the cases.  I agree with other comments, even with carbide dies the press runs much smoother and with less effort when cases are lubed.

When using One-Shot: 

1 or 2 second spray inside a gallon freezer bag, let dry, add your 200 or 300 cases & seal bag, work & knead around a little bit, done. 

A can will last a long time this way and there's no excess lube on the cases to clean up after loading.  

16 hours ago, BJB said:

When using One-Shot: 

1 or 2 second spray inside a gallon freezer bag, let dry, add your 200 or 300 cases & seal bag, work & knead around a little bit, done. 

A can will last a long time this way and there's no excess lube on the cases to clean up after loading.  

That's exactly how i do it!!

20 hours ago, JatCarver said:

I don’t use lube. Hate how the finished ammo is sticky when using lube so would like to avoid that. 

After you load the ammo, you run it in the tumbler for 10 minutes or so and the lube is gone.

20 hours ago, mvmojo said:

Yes, I use spray Silicone and it works fine.  I like One Shot but switched Silicone because One Shot was getting expensive.  I noticed that One Shot smelled like Silicone so I decided to try just plain Silicone.  Much cheaper and seems to be just as effective.  Caution, don't breathe the fumes of either and keep away from ignition sources - both are high flammable due to the propellant gas they use.  I wear nitrile gloves when spraying my cases because I roll them around in a pan with my hands.  But once dry I don't worry about handling the cases.  I agree with other comments, even with carbide dies the press runs much smoother and with less effort when cases are lubed.

OK so I tried the Silicone spray and it works great, it takes a very small amount to stop the sticking on the crimp die and powder funnel and didn't leave any sticky residue on the loaded ammo. 

2 hours ago, stick said:

After you load the ammo, you run it in the tumbler for 10 minutes or so and the lube is gone.

As I stated earlier in the tread this isn't always a practical solution. As stated with some HP bullets the media gets stuck on the tips and then falls out inside the mags. 

Also I'm loading ~40k rounds over the next couple weeks, so something like throwing them in the tumbler for 10min turns into a big task with the high volume. Especially since my reloading room is in the basement and the tumbler is in the garage.

45 minutes ago, JatCarver said:

OK so I tried the Silicone spray and it works great, it takes a very small amount to stop the sticking on the crimp die and powder funnel and didn't leave any sticky residue on the loaded ammo. 

Glad to hear it worked out for you!  It's a cheap and easy fix!!

Not to drift the thread, but another good use for spray silicone - if you shoot a Ruger .22 and use a McFadden magazine loader, dump your rounds in the loader then spray them with silicone and shake them around before loading your mags.  It lets the rounds drop right into the Ruger mags just like they're supposed to.