Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

16 inch barrel with rifle gas tube question

usmc1974

I was wondering if they make such a critter? I want to build an AR that shoots very soft with the 16 inch barrel. I figure a rifle length gas system on a 16 inch barrel with a good comp would shoot soft.

They exist. I have one as my main match rifle. Just be aware that you're getting close to the ragged edge in terms of operational window. Odin, Criterion, Foxtrot Mike, SOT all keep them in stock and a lot of other places have them occasionally. Any decent barrel place like Craddock or McGowen will make you one as well.

A bunch of companies have tried it and discontinued them due to low sales, Iron City most recently. I think a 16" intermediate is a safer bet for most people though.

Edited by TonytheTiger

44 minutes ago, TonytheTiger said:

They exist. I have one as my main match rifle. Just be aware that you're getting close to the ragged edge in terms of operational window. 

How do you like your main Match Rifle with that setup? What comp are you using? what kind of recoil buffer/spring are you using? to get a hundred percent reliability I was watching Sootch00 from YouTube run one and he really liked it.

Edited by usmc1974

I like it a lot, but I've only ever ran it with low mass steel or ultralight titanium carriers, light springs, gutted or Taccom buffers, so I really can't say how it works with more conventional setups. After drilling the port a hair bigger then using an AGB to tune it I've never had a gas related malfunction. Always had an aggressive brake on it (Cobalt Kinetics, Ultradyne Apollo, Hypertap) and it shoots ridiculously soft.

I have a criterion 16" with rifle gas. I run PMC bronze 55gr, never had a problem with it. Has a SLR adjustable gas block and JP low mass bolt. Not one jam and I have a lot of rounds through it. 

Also look at SOT. I got one of there 12" with midlength gas and it runs great. 

My criterion is MOA at 200 rounds. 

I have a Lothar Walther 16.5" polygonal rifled barrel with rifle length gas. I used to run it with a full mass bolt carrier, adjustable gas and two coils off the carbine buffer spring. Now I have a JP LMOS steel carrier and slightly gutted buffer, same spring. I've never had any problems with it what so ever.

• 3 weeks later...

I have been running the one from Odin Works for many years and love it. I also run ultra light carrier, taccom buffer, adjustable gas block and Atlas break. No issues with many thousands of rounds. 

On 4/11/2020 at 10:36 AM, TonytheTiger said:

I've only ever ran it with low mass steel or ultralight titanium carriers, light springs, gutted or Taccom buffers

ain't the Taccom buffer with a Ti BCG the bee's knees!?!?  

sorry off topic.  But Tony hit the nail on the head, you need to be deliberate with your operating system selection. 

It's not hard to get to run reliably, but you've got to be deliberate about your process.  

34 minutes ago, OnVacation said:

ain't the Taccom buffer with a Ti BCG the bee's knees!?!?  

sorry off topic.  But Tony hit the nail on the head, you need to be deliberate with your operating system selection. 

It's not hard to get to run reliably, but you've got to be deliberate about your process.  

Agreed on all counts. Most of the guys I see having problems with race parts are the guys just throwing mud at the wall to see what sticks, without looking at the whole rifle as a system that should have all its individual parts geared toward a similar goal.

10 hours ago, TonytheTiger said:

Agreed on all counts. Most of the guys I see having problems with race parts are the guys just throwing mud at the wall to see what sticks, without looking at the whole rifle as a system that should have all its individual parts geared toward a similar goal.

Small details matter.  adjustable gas blocks are a must, reaming the port MAY be necessary.  I run a modified bolt and cam as well which definately contributed to reliablity (v7 cam pin and the sharps reliabolt).  all the details really add up.  I'm excited for my next competition build now...