Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New top end for Open 2011 - Parts?

UpYoursPal

Hey all. I've been shooting USPSA open division for a little while now, and finally have an open 2011 that I really like.  It's built like a tank, and unfortunately weighs as much as a tank - 63 oz!  I didn't know it was possible to make a gun that heavy, but with a full length PT frame, PT grip, and unmodified PT slide with steel comp it comes in veeeery heavy.

The issue here is that I ALSO like to shoot it in steel challenge.  I find it fun, and good practice for USPSA.  But as you might see, a 63oz open boat anchor is tough to swing around on steel plates.  With that in mind, I was toying around with the idea of getting a complete top end built just for steel challenge. The idea is that it would be a light slide, mid-length design, with a short titanium comp. 

Please look over these parts and let me know if I'm missing anything

-5" slide (already purchased from a BEnos user)

-5" OAL KKM threaded barrel (Apparently this one https://kkmprecision.com/product/govt-355-bull-4-65-clarkpara-ramped-threaded-1116x40-2/)

-Barrel link

-2 port CFD comp

-FP stop

-Firing pin

-Aftec Extractor

-Regular size Dawson tool-less guide rod

-Some kind of racker

Now, I understand that the slide will have to be shortened to accommodate the 5" barrel, but does it also have to be stroked?  Reading the forums hasn't given me a conclusive answer on this. 

Will this require any modification to my existing frame?  Ideally I'd like to just swap slides and recoil systems to go between USPSA and SC, but if there's more to it then I'd like to know. I'm also flirting with the idea of putting a lighter grip on there, but that's for another thread.

Thanks for taking time to read this!

all stroked means is cutting back the recoil surface so that the slide has an extra 2 hundreths of an inch to travel. some people are for it and some arnt. 

id see how the slide fits before doing any sort of permanent modification to it.  more over you would have to see how the recoil feels if the slide does fit. 

I would have gone in a different direction.  I'd have lightened the slide and frame.  You will find it is not so much the weight that slows transitions, but where the weight is.  If it is in your hands and not out front, transitions are faster.  Here is what I did to my build.  The top image is my old Open gun.  It was very front heavy and swung like a log.  The bottom image is my new one.  The gun balances on my left index finger (I'm right handed). and does not feel heavy at all.  My transitions are faster with the new gun.  BTW, weights are very close to each other.

Since you already have all the parts, go ahead and build it.  You should be good at somewhere around 140ishPF with a slower powder for steel.

100_1134.thumb.JPG.57e34b64e255b609650c0c6c1ff89687.JPG100_1175.thumb.JPG.0b18896291bf618f77b79171d7d55c0f.JPG

You do not have to stroke the gun.  Just mind your recoil spring weight and length.  You will likely have to clip a few coils off to avoid spring binding and be sure of getting a full stroke.

If you are cutting back a 5" slide nothing changes on your recoil system.   The front end of the reverse plug just sticks out under the comp 

1/2" or so.   Should work fine.    Lighten the heck out of the slide,  work up some light bullet loads and shoot steel.

Edited by open17

21 minutes ago, open17 said:

If you are cutting back a 5" slide nothing changes on your recoil system.   The front end of the reverse plug just sticks out under the comp 

1/2" or so.   Should work fine.    Lighten the heck out of the slide,  work up some light bullet loads and shoot steel.

Okay, good to know