Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Snapcaps

lroy

Anyone use snapcaps for their 2011? I have an extended firing pin, that seems to chew through the ones I picked up -   B's Dryfire Snapcaps

It just punched a hole right through the primer area after a few months of dryfire.

Are these just considered consumable or is there a brand that holds up to use?

2 hours ago, lroy said:

Anyone use snapcaps for their 2011? I have an extended firing pin, that seems to chew through the ones I picked up -   B's Dryfire Snapcaps

It just punched a hole right through the primer area after a few months of dryfire.

Are these just considered consumable or is there a brand that holds up to use?

I would say they are supposed to be consumable to prevent damage or accelerated wear to the expensive part of the equation.

I picked up mine off amazon no clue the brand but they started to show wear pretty quick and I don’t dry fire that often.  

About that time I got another 2011 and was having feeding issues.  Figuring it was magazine related I needed to load up my own dummy rounds with my actual oal and projectile. Took an razorblade and trimmed some rubber to snuggly fit primer hole, pretty easy to make your own.  

Main thing is keeping them well marked as dummy rounds and in a separate place in range bag from live ammo.

No need for them in my opinion. If anything, I have a piece of leather cut to fit against the firing pin stop, complete with bevel for the hammer to follow while racking the slide. The idea is it cushions the hammer from peening the end of the firing pin. 

• 4 weeks later...

KP Tactical on EBay sells solid brass, lathe turned snap caps wit rubber inserts in the primer pocket for a reasonable price. 

Or used to sell, or used to be reasonably priced, I haven't bought any in years.

They're sold out right now.

On 4/16/2020 at 9:00 PM, chomorro said:

I have the Ebay ones with rubber filling. Problem with them is they look real so I highlighted the bullet tips bright green so I could tell the difference.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

They look less real than home-made dummy rounds...

I keep them in a drawer in my gun tool chest, and there's no other ammo in my garage unless I'm reloading, so there's little chance of mixing them up. And the 9mm caps have a more pointy profile than actual bullets.

You could also use a marker and make the case heads black or whatever color you want. 

I don't see any reason to use snap caps or dummies in the barrel when dry firing.

1. you most likely won't break the firing pin on the gun by dry firing. I haven't used snap caps and won't start using now. Nothing has broken regardless of probably thousands of clicks.
2. You shouldn't be pulling the trigger when dry firing, especially when shooting with a light and crisp trigger like in a 1911/2011 (per Ben Stoeger - Breakthrough marksmanship, although he doesn't differentiate different platforms). It is enough to pull the slack off of the trigger to get that "idea" of pulling the trigger.

5 hours ago, Janskis said:

I don't see any reason to use snap caps or dummies in the barrel when dry firing.

1. you most likely won't break the firing pin on the gun by dry firing. I haven't used snap caps and won't start using now. Nothing has broken regardless of probably thousands of clicks.
2. You shouldn't be pulling the trigger when dry firing, especially when shooting with a light and crisp trigger like in a 1911/2011 (per Ben Stoeger - Breakthrough marksmanship, although he doesn't differentiate different platforms). It is enough to pull the slack off of the trigger to get that "idea" of pulling the trigger.

I use them for function testing, not dry fire, but some like to mimic the weight of a mag with rounds in it, and some are under the impression that guns are delicate like watches, and want to use them, along with expensive, exotic lubes, and $150.00 Pelican cases for transport.

To each his own. Your gun, do what you want with it.

1 hour ago, robertg5322 said:

I use them for function testing, not dry fire, but some like to mimic the weight of a mag with rounds in it, and some are under the impression that guns are delicate like watches, and want to use them, along with expensive, exotic lubes, and $150.00 Pelican cases for transport.

To each his own. Your gun, do what you want with it.

Yes sorry for being unclear! I do have dummies as a weight in my mags but don't see a reason to have one in the chamber to prevent damage from dry firing.