Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The Caffeine Factor

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as the coffee routine goes, I believe Pat Harrison summed it up well. Stick with your routine.

Beside Excedrine, several other "pain relievers" contain caffeine because the drug companies know that caffeine addiction withdraw is one of the most common causes of head aches; they should really call these "pain relievers what they actually are: "caffeine addiction withdrawal medicine"

As far as other stimulants enhancing performance, there is science to back that up. The Air Force appears to have given a form of amphetamines to pilots under certain circumstances; one such circumstance would be to extend their wakefulness on especially long flights, such as refueling missions.

However, the Air Force reportedly has also tested these substances, with positive results, on fighter pilots during combat simulations (do a search on the term "go pills" or "Air Force and amphetamines" for further information). The performance enhancements realized would probably translate to some degree to our sport (frightening as that prospect may seem). Problem is, these substances are incredibly addictive, destructive, toxic, illegal, very hard on one's health, etc. I personally believe that even using these substances under the supervision of the Air Force is reckless & should probably be discontinued, but that's their business.

Accordingly, I am going to stick to my regular cup of coffee in the AM and try to improve my 2006 performance through lots of dry fire & competition shooting.

D.

Btw, note that IPSC is putting into place an anti-doping policy with a list of banned substances. Stimulants beyond the caffiene level are most likely on that list.

(please debate the policy and details therof over on the IPSC site and not here)

Shred, I'm curious why you would discourage discussion of a shooting related rule change on this site? Maybe not in the "Tips for improvement" area but in a more appropriate section of the board???

I understand that these types of subjects can get heated. I like these types of discussions - that is about the rule changes and not the heated discussions. I don't like personal attacks on anyone and that should not be done on the board when posting to any thread, but discussion of a shooting related topic is why I visit the boards in the first place.

Again, I'm curious as to why? Thanks for your comments in advance.

Rick

Rick

Interesting, Death occurs for me at 96.49 cups of Drip Coffee.

I know that when I was shooting smallbore as a junior (and no it wasn't a muzzle loader), we used to stay away from Coke while shooting. Of course trying to place 5 rounds through on hole and not tear out the 10 ring was a bit different than trying to shoot ten rounds at 5 targets in 4 seconds.

There is a definate effect if you shoot precision. I think that in our sport, it is less significant. Further I think that if you are two-three cup in the morning coffee drinker, you are probably worse off not having your morning cups than you are having them. I know that personally on some weekend mornings we'll be a bit lazy and get a late start and I skip my coffee, the headache that I get is far more detrimental than anything two or three cups could do to me. My normal intake of coffee vares from one large cup to a quart thermos full daily.

Jim

PS, Time for more coffee

Shred, I'm curious why you would discourage discussion of a shooting related rule change on this site? Maybe not in the "Tips for improvement" area but in a more appropriate section of the board???

Rick

Mostly because there is an active thread there, with the rulemakers actually participating in it. If somebody wants to start a new thread on it here, then go ahead.. I didn't mean 'not here' as in "not-on-Brian's-forum", but "not in this thread", since it was somewhat off-topic to begin with. Sorry for any miscommunication.

We need to be forever watchful of people that would do good. They often, with the best intentons do far more harm than our enemies ever could.

We already prohibit the use or possesion of illegal substances or alchohol and caution about the use of over the counter drugs. Do we have a problem? Should we be discussing this or should we simply keep to our current rules and enforce the bans? If we start going down this path, will we be peeing in bottles before we compete? If it is a problem, I think it is a very small one and anyone that is aware of someone doing drugs should for his own safety let the MD/RM and so on know so that we can keep these people from hurting us. If the problem is widespread, we are already done, we just don't know it yet. What we don't need is to have the people on the other side of the shooting issue thinking that we not only run with guns and shoot fast, but that we are harboring or even think we are harboring a bunch of chemically altered people.

That said, we do have bans in place and anyone that is using anything illegal or even mind altering that is legal should be made to stand down, If it's illegal thay should be shunned. If it is legal and I don't mean drinking here, that falls under the same as illegal, but rather someone that has taken an antihistimine and is drowsy should be asked to stand down and maybe try someting different in the future. We don't need this person being banned and we don't need everyone doing drug tests to handle this.

Shred, feel free, please to put this into the new thread you suggested. I anyone has the jist of the thread from the Not Global Village, please fill those of us among the unwashed in so that we can be informed.

Thanks and Happy New Year

Jim

Edited by Jim Norman

Btw, note that IPSC is putting into place an anti-doping policy with a list of banned substances. Stimulants beyond the caffiene level are most likely on that list.

(please debate the policy and details therof over on the IPSC site and not here)

They posted a copy of the anti-doping policy at the Global Village a few months back and a very interesting debate followed. I'd hate to be the guy collecting the urine samples though :D

And where else might this policy be posted? Since all members of IPSC are not allowed to access the so-called Global Village, it should not be considered as the voice of IPSC, but rather the voice of...

Any rule that will affect the membership must be posted in a manner that is accessible to the membership as a whole. Also, if this is an "Interperation" It has to be approved by USPSA before it becomes "Our" Rule.

But then again we are currently running without a waiver so there is an air of uncertainy about USPSA.

Jim Norman

• 4 weeks later...

the Army shooting manual says Caffeine is NOT helping you shoot ... it is a stimulant though ... so dose the fact it degrades my shooting balance out with the fact I feel more AWAKE ... and maybe move faster? If caffeine is part of your regular routine I wouldn''t skip it on match day ... but I might evaluate how much I consume and if it is beneficial to my shooting! I cut it out of my routine ....

If its a cold morning and the cup keeps my trigger finger warm you might see me holding a cup ... but I won't drink more than a few sips...

Si