Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tanfoglio Stock II...........Stovepipes

ARMAGEDON

Good morning everyone.     Just got Memphis Mechanic opinion which i trust a lot but want to hear everyone's opinion on this.     I bought a new Stock II from a friend.      He just used it one time and then he went open.       I'm going crazy with this new Stock II.     I practice every Friday with 200 rounds and i get between 7 or 8 stove pipes in every practice..........see picture       It never happened with my old Stock II Xtreme.      

I changed all  my mags.     They are brand new out of the box.      I installed a brand new extractor and a more power extractor spring.       Cleaned that area and it is extremely super clean and dry.

Today i shot like 200 rounds with my new gun and had 7 stove pipes.   Shot like 50 rounds with my old Xtreme and had two.................this is new.     Never happened before with this one.    My friend check my loads and told me that i need more crimp.     The edges according to him were to sharp.    My cripm is in between 3.9 and 3.85.     Also he told me to go lighter on my recoil spring.     I'm running a brand new 13lb Wolff.      To rack the slide is a pain.     Specially in a match when you have an unloaded start and you need to load fast is a crimeeeeeee.

He told me to crimp between 3.65 to 3.70 and buy a 10lb from Patriot Defense.      Did you see something that i don't see.      The weird part is that you can shoot 60 rounds flawlessly and suddenly the slide will catch round 61.      Then you can shoot 30 rounds more and bammmmmmmm it catches round 31.

I always use coated flat nose bullets from DG bullets and they are 147gr.     They run between 910 to 917 FPS.     The OAL is 1.130.    Also i send my barrel and it was reamed.     It can take bullets up to 1.150.       I check all my ammo before going to the range and every bullet has to come out clean of the barrel with no problem.

Did you see something wrong here?

Thanks

Stove.JPG

19 minutes ago, ARMAGEDON said:

My cripm is in between 3.9 and 3.85.    

Is this a typo?  Seems like chambering problems would arise with a crimp of 0.390".

19 minutes ago, ARMAGEDON said:

He told me to crimp between 3.65 to 3.70

Is this also a typo?  A crimp of 0.365" will damage your bullet.

Your crimp should likely be 0.377" to 0.379".  I crimp to 0.379" and don't ever have to worry when loading a different bullet.

24 minutes ago, ARMAGEDON said:

I'm running a brand new 13lb Wolff.      To rack the slide is a pain.

Even though you can go lower, a 13# spring shouldn't be a pain to rack.

30 minutes ago, ARMAGEDON said:

They run between 910 to 917 FPS.

That PF should run any gun.

Hi there man and thanks for your input.       It is a typo.       My crimp is in between 0.379 and sometimes is goes 0.380

With the new extractor the brass goes between 6 or 7 feet from the gun every time

I will remove the slide and will do the test with the spent shell

Question.      I have a Dillon 650.      On stage 2 i push really hard so the new primer can go really deep.      Pushing that hard can cause this extraction problems?

My way of solving this kind of FTE problems is to keep swapping the extractor with ones purchased from a different source until the problem goes away.   Once it goes away, stick to that one on that gun. 

I know you just put in a new one, but for some reason unfortunately, the extractors are quite different depending on where you bought them.  The ones I got from PD, BSPS, EAA and Eric's shop are all slightly different, in both the profile and the hook area/angel.   Some with "9" marks on them and some don't.  I don't know who are making them and why such big variance.  And furthermore, each gun may work better with extractors from one source over the others.  I recently replaced the extractor on my practice gun after 30k rounds, and I have gone through 3 different "new" extractors that kept giving me the exact same FTE issue as you did until I found one that works flawlessly.  

That's why I always keep stock at least 4 extractors from each of the stores I typically shop at  :)

26 minutes ago, BJB said:

With the slide off the gun, push a spent shell up under that extractor.  How is the retention? Does it have death grip on the rim?

Did it and the spent shell holds really firm.

Thanks

17 minutes ago, ARMAGEDON said:

Mine has the "9" marks.     Will follow your advise.    Let me buy from different sources.     I know Patriot, Ben Stoeger and EAA.     But what is Eric's?

Thanks

https://www.ericgrauffelonlineshop.com/en/

I use extreme parts exclusively so I usually stock pile a bunch of extreme springs from eric's shop plus some parts like slide stops, extractors to make the shipping cost worth. 

Try different extractors as @Dazhi suggests. 

In the meantime.......does the current extractor have room to move?  If not consider filing the extractor to give it the needed room to flex and/or mess with the extractor spring.

1 hour ago, BJB said:

Try different extractors as @Dazhi suggests. 

In the meantime.......does the current extractor have room to move?  If not consider filing the extractor to give it the needed room to flex and/or mess with the extractor spring.

Good observation.      That extractor barely moves

2 hours ago, ARMAGEDON said:

Pushing that hard can cause this extraction problems?

No

The problem is your brass occasionally is slipping out of the extractor, the hook with the spring.  

Some brass is a problem and do you “plunk” your ammo?

After about 20k+ rounds in my TF S2 I finally had to replace the extractor spring because of an occasional SP, one out of 500, and solved the issue. 

What to do?
Check your ammo, plunk and see if the brass has common head stamp.

Replace the spring with extra power one. 

Some modify the hook, but with several TFs I never found the need to.

Also, 8-10lb spring for the slide is all you need, I don’t think anyone uses 13#.

Good luck.

Edited by HesedTech

15 minutes ago, HesedTech said:

No

The problem is your brass occasionally is slipping out of the extractor, the hook with the spring.  

Some brass is a problem and do you “plunk” your ammo?

After about 20k+ rounds in my TF S2 I finally had to replace the extractor spring because of an occasional SP, one out of 500, and solved the issue. 

What to do?
Check your ammo, plunk and see if the brass has common head stamp.

Replace the spring with extra power one. 

Some modify the hook, but with several TFs I never found the need to.

Also, 8-10lb spring for the slide is all you need, I don’t think anyone uses 13#.

Good luck.

Hi my friend and thanks for your feedback.      I have a brand new more power spring.      And yes i plunk test all my ammo including practice ammo.

Probably the hook then or the rim of the brass has rounded off a bit. 

I have 6 TFs and have never needed to replace or modify the hook. 

On a similar thread a TF shooter found Blazer brass was consistently a problem. 

Just some ideas. I’m a perfectionist when it comes to the gun running so I get it how frustrating these things are.