Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is The Barrel/mag Bracket On An 1100cm Necessary?

DHart

Just curious... I see a lot of extended mag tubes with no bracket attaching to the barrel, but on the 1100CM there is a bracket connecting the extended tube to the barrel... is this simply for attaching a sling or is the bracking between barrel and tube an important function?

A lot of the time people take 'em off 'cause they're causing feeding issues—and, possibly, messing with POI. The main reason to keep it is, as rishii stated, to keep the mag tube in place. If you douse the threads with a little blue Loctite and check it every once in a while, you won't need the clamp... unless you want a sling on there.

Useing a extended tube can put a lot of stress on the thread area of the origional magazine tube, leverage point is right at the fwd end of the fore stock. This area can bend, break or damage threads and is a pita to repair. If you are never going to bang your gun into ports, baracades or props ect. or do something wierd like shoot it in a match you dont need the clamp, unless you drop it or it gets knocked over.------Larry

I usta' run a barrel band/clamp on my 11-87, even tried two. The only effect I ever noticed was that it went to a one holer with slugs after removing the bands but wouldn't group slugs better'n 5 inches with the bands in place. Haven't been using any this year and it does not come loose on it's own. Not one IOTA.

Mine are available free to anyone who wants to open up their slug groups big time ;-)

I've been running around without one for about two years. I guess occasionally the tube will loosen --- I had to retighten mine yesterday. But I think the it's a rare occurence. When I ran the clamp, the clamp actually loosened alot. I lost the clamp in a number of stages. Eventually I ran another stage and I didn't realize loosing it and lost it forever.

My tube is also scarred from brushes and a couple of love taps with barricades. Unless you like smacking the barricades hard on a regular basis I think you should be OK in terms of durability.

In a Bennie Cooley class he recommended that you run the gun without one. He said every time you put it back on from cleaning or what have you the POI would shift. He also likened it to a free float tube on a rifle. You go through all the trouble to free float the rifle. Why is it different with the shotgun?

For sling points I screwed on a QD stud and nut on the handguard at about 10 O'clock and one on top of the buttstock. I can use the V-Tac with this set-up.

Thanks for all the replies! I think I'm going to ditch the band for a time and see how it goes. I think it looks kinda fugly anyway. Winchester didn't feel the need to put one on their Practical, so I imagine it ain't that big a deal. Thanks again.

WTF??  i never, even thought of this.  gonna head to the range this weekend and test what george is saying...shoot 5 with the clamp, and another group without.  where the heck have i been?

well, the range proves the theory...

shot 5 shot groups with the clamp from 45 yds...3 groups averaged 4 1/2"

shot another set of groups without the clamp...same distance-groups went down to 2"!!

remington low recoil out of a 22" IC.