Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New to CZ's.... SP01 shoots high???

Chills1994

Having come over from Beretta 92's, this latest acquisition of mine, a used SP01, shoots high at 7, 10, and 15 yards.

This was aimed, deliberate fire from the freestyle/isoceles stance...holding the sights dead nuts centered on the bull's eye (not a lollipop hold)

This was with Remington factory 147gr ammo.

I have not tried 115gr or 124gr ammo yet.

This particular gun has night sights both front and rear.

Is this a common occurence with CZ's?

Could this be the bullet weight?

Or should I just plan on getting a shorter rear sight?

EDIT:  this first group was just 9 rounds.  And at just 7 yards, I wouldsay it was 2.5" high.

20200305_003736.jpg

Edited by Chills1994

10 yards

I had to go back in and really crop these pics down to get under the 1.95 MB limit.  In turn, that makes the pic lose any kind of scale.  This is about 3 inches high (above the center of the bull's eye).

20200305_004118.jpg

Edited by Chills1994

Focus on the 124/125g ammo offerings.  The CZ barrel was made for 124g.  Then like BJB said, do the math off the Dawson sight and get the right front sight for the gun.  Front sights sometimes get mismatched at factories; it happens.

7 hours ago, BJB said:

115 gr & 124 gr should impact lower than 147 gr. 

Determine what weight projectile you prefer and then get the appropriate height front sight if required.

This is good advice.  As mentioned, the 115 and 124 gr. bullets typically impact lower than the 147-150 gr. bullets, but not always, and not for everyone.  Make the above determined recommendation and purchase and install a front sight of the appropriate height to match YOUR shooting with YOUR ammo.

Just as a point of info . . . . I own and regularly shoot four CZ SP01 pistols and have never experienced a higher than desired POI vs. POA with any of them, with both handloads and factory ammo 124 gr. ammo.

12 hours ago, WxGuy said:

Focus on the 124/125g ammo offerings.  The CZ barrel was made for 124g.  Then like BJB said, do the math off the Dawson sight and get the right front sight for the gun.  Front sights sometimes get mismatched at factories; it happens.

As a matter of fact, I got a set of Dawson sights and was low, like way low, off hand. I know I had some influence on it so I bench supported my hand and gun then shot again. Wound up 1.38" low at 10 yards, averaging 5, 5 shot groups. When I measured my front sight, it was .200" and should have came with .170". It's ok as that would have likely put me a little high with the stock one... correct sight is being sent. 

7 hours ago, 45 Raven said:

This is good advice.  As mentioned, the 115 and 124 gr. bullets typically impact lower than the 147-150 gr. bullets, but not always, and not for everyone.  Make the above determined recommendation and purchase and install a front sight of the appropriate height to match YOUR shooting with YOUR ammo.

Just as a point of info . . . . I own and regularly shoot four CZ SP01 pistols and have never experienced a higher than desired POI vs. POA with any of them, with both handloads and factory ammo 124 gr. ammo.

The next range trip out, I will have to bring along my plain CZ75B.

And some 124 and 115 grainers for both.

EDIT:  and one of my Berettas along just make sure it isn't me.

Edited by Chills1994

1 hour ago, igolfat8 said:

So, is a 6:00 hold out of the question?

If I could make it to my other range that has steel targets, and allows drawing from a holster, I will have to try ripping off some Bill Drills to see where these bullets actually land when in "grip it and rip it" mode.

• 2 weeks later...

Have you taken off the front sight, measured, done the sight math from Dawson, and ordered the right front sight yet?  I just did this with a friends STI Hawk 9mm that was shooting high.  Lowered the sight height and bingo, groups in the center, POA/POI Sight picture 3.  This is what she likes.  Good luck!

image.png.9d0a2544491c15ff977f958d8c20ddf0.png

Edited by WxGuy

1 hour ago, WxGuy said:

Have you taken off the front sight, measured, done the sight math from Dawson, and ordered the right front sight yet?  I just did this with a friends STI Hawk 9mm that was shooting high.  Lowered the sight height and bingo, groups in the center, POA/POI .....

A gun that is shooting too high requires a taller front sight to lower the impact, not a shorter front sight.  Putting a shorter front sight on a gun that is impacting too high would make it impact even higher. 

Did you change anything else in addition? Like mess with rear sight too or change ammo?

• 1 month later...
On 3/21/2020 at 7:08 PM, 45 Raven said:

Any further news to report on your pistol, Chills 1994?

Nope!

If this quarantine thing would ever get over, I would try shooting it at some steel...like the Smoke and Hope stage to see if it still hits high.

I figure while I am waiting I might as well order a holster for it.

Do you all have any recommendations as far as a holster maker goes?

TIA