Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

MPX +20 (ish) extensions

Just for edification of the community. I run MPXs in 2x4 3gun. I really really hate reloading on the clock since in 3G it's not like we have classifiers with mandatory reloads. The best plan is usually put what you need in each gun and leave the belt for backup. So in search of maximum capacity I am trying various extensions in the 20+ range. First up I have an original Taccom splice. Its unwieldy but puts 60+ on tap if you really need it. It took some tuning, its fragile, mag runs into everything but right now it's actually quite reliable. I only use this if I really need the volume but for those stages it's nice to know I have it. Second choice is the original Taylor Freelance +20, never got 50, 48-49 max. Its compact, light, aesthetically good. But even with fiddling with followers and tube edges I still had random unpredictable feed failures, always at unfortunate times. Robin is super cool but i just dont totally trust it, good news the brand new TF +20 based on his goliath design is on the way to me now. I will update with results soon. Third is the new Taccom +20, it holds 51 pretty reliably. Ran it today at match where I didn't need 50 but wanted to use first 20ish rounds on each stage to see how it handled the transition. With couple hundred in practice and 1 match down using only this mag it has been 100% even crammed full for each string. This appears to be fully good to go, only issue is it's pretty bulky and a little heavy but if it runs it runs. Comparison to new TF upcoming.

3 hours ago, TRUBL said:

Ours will work.....should be about two weeks

That what I said man yours has been 100% gtg, also it can intimidate lesser PCC extensions with its size 😉

Edited by inertia

Top to bottom, regular Springer +10, original TF +19, new TF +20, new taccom +21, taccom splice. No rounds through the new TF but it is very nice and appealing in appearance. It does have a proprietary follower, testing this weekend.

20200304_191730_resized(1).jpg

1 hour ago, inertia said:

Top to bottom, regular Springer +10, original TF +19, new TF +20, new taccom +21, taccom splice. No rounds through the new TF but it is very nice and appealing in appearance. It does have a proprietary follower, testing this weekend.

20200304_191730_resized(1).jpg

How does the new TF+20 mount/install on the mag? 

Its I believe like his goliath glock one. The front and back bolt together then it has a basepad that slips on with a spring loaded detent. I am not going to lie it's pretty slick design. This is the install video mpx is essentially the same: 

Just an FYI......on the TACCOM extension. While not the most beautiful extension on the market, we went with Delrin so that the rounds flow better in the extension (brass and aluminum do not play well together when it comes to friction). AND......I believe that the TACCOM extension is the only estension that still allows for the factory follower to be used intact and allow for LRBHO, which may or may not be a big deal for competition use, especially whne you have 51+ rounds at your disposal.

1 hour ago, TRUBL said:

Just an FYI......on the TACCOM extension. While not the most beautiful extension on the market, we went with Delrin so that the rounds flow better in the extension (brass and aluminum do not play well together when it comes to friction). AND......I believe that the TACCOM extension is the only estension that still allows for the factory follower to be used intact and allow for LRBHO, which may or may not be a big deal for competition use, especially whne you have 51+ rounds at your disposal.

I will agree the delrin has some advantages, it has proven reliable in my guns, and when it inevitably gets banged around from the dumps or ground or whatever the little Nick's and scratches dont show as anodize getting scraped off metal, it's just all black so it stays black.

4 hours ago, inertia said:

I will agree the delrin has some advantages, it has proven reliable in my guns, and when it inevitably gets banged around from the dumps or ground or whatever the little Nick's and scratches dont show as anodize getting scraped off metal, it's just all black so it stays black.

still lighter than a comperable aluminum extension too!!

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Mban2 said:

What is the advantage of using the +21 splice when compared to the regular +20.   It seems like it makes it very unwieldy 

There is no splice anymore from TACCOM.....it's an extension only.

@TRUBL, when is the +21 coming back in stock? I got an email notification that it was in stock last week but when I went to the website as soon as I got the email, it was out of stock. I also called and left my number but never got a call back. I’d like to have one. I have the splice but I want to try this +21. Thanks.

3 hours ago, George16 said:

@TRUBL, when is the +21 coming back in stock? I got an email notification that it was in stock last week but when I went to the website as soon as I got the email, it was out of stock. I also called and left my number but never got a call back. I’d like to have one. I have the splice but I want to try this +21. Thanks.

I wonder why I did not see that......well, first we were out of springs, now we are out of bodies, I think we will have more in a week or so.

2 hours ago, TRUBL said:

I wonder why I did not see that......well, first we were out of springs, now we are out of bodies, I think we will have more in a week or so.

No worries. I know you're busy. I still want one so hopefully I’ll be able to get one when it’s back in stock again.

20 hours ago, Mban2 said:

What is the advantage of using the +21 splice when compared to the regular +20.   It seems like it makes it very unwieldy 

The splice is terribly unwieldly, thus unavailable and the big extensions are the current trend. I will admit there is at least 1 stage at most majors where I want to go to the line with 60 and dont have anything I think I will run it into. It's a 3gun specific thing where the pcc would be taking the place of pistol and shotgun thus giving you enough targets in a row without an ideal reloading transition.

Edited by inertia

Actually, of all those splices that we made back in the day......the one for the Sig MPX by far was the best!!......the major flaw back then was the fact that no one actually made a spring long enoguh and you needed to 'splice' the springs too. If you put one together and it worked.....it would continue to work until the springs wore out (which was pretty quick, if you kept loading it up to 60 rounds). I do still have a few mags that are spliced and with the longer spring that we now have, they still work 100%. We (TACCOM) just did not want to become known for 3D printed parts, so we went away from that style of manufacture......we still have one 3D printer that we use only for prototyping new product when needed.

Edited by TRUBL
On 3/17/2020 at 3:21 PM, inertia said:

New Delrin version? Happy to test it out, fully respect the decision the new designs are more elegant, but I'm dreading the day I finally break this one.

It's been tested on customers magazines for about 6 months now......zero issues  :)

8 minutes ago, TRUBL said:

It's been tested on customers magazines for about 6 months now......zero issues  :)

Sorry I was implying a new version of the splice not the extension, I already have the new extension, it's in the picture above in this thread.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally received the Taccom  +20 MPX extension last Monday after it detoured to Denver first instead of going to Jacksonville right away. The workmanship is very nice. It’s very durable, easy to dis/assemble for maintenance and works really good. I went to the range last Tuesday for an optest and it worked very well. No problems at all in feeding both my 8” gen 2 and 16” MPX PCC model. 

There was a little fire/aft and side to side movement of the mag within the extension after assembly. I pm’ed Tim asking if it was designed like that and he it was to prevent any snags/problems feeding. sure enough, there wasn’t any problems associated with this very slight movement. 

Function over form is what I really like most in this extension. It’s huge! 

Here are some pic:

Assembled next to my Springer Precision base pad and extension.

106-F3-B5-D-1466-4148-A941-658-E6-FD1574

D8-BDF67-D-D124-4-C2-C-9-DB6-823-B182843

Nice clean cuts.

D3-EF0-D8-B-BEE4-48-ED-8-EAE-A1-BC926-D9

next to my taccom splice

FB100715-E41-C-4-E00-A01-F-06-A2-ED63976

designed to use the stock follower without any mods due to the little channel cut on the left side

6-FAF7-D65-16-F7-4-FCE-801-C-F99-F8398-A

Tested the new TF +20 functioned without any issues in a few hundred rounds of practice. Getting the last 2 in by hand may be difficult without a lula, but it will probably break in with some use as well. So as best I can tell both the new Taccom and the new TF have no obvious issues either in loading or feeding.