Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mag catch question....

adrone

I wanted to see if you guys have had to replace your mag catches? 2011 plastic grip.

Im real bad about stuffing my mags particularly the mbx I have to 30 rounds in the mag....then forcing it to catch in the gun using alot of force....

Im having low left nose dives in the middle of stages occasionally for many months now....the MG jhp are sticking right at the bottom of the ridge in the corner where it flattens out at the bottom of drivers side  of feed ramp...

Its happening no matter how many rounds i started with usually in the middle of the mag somewhere...

They are MG JHP 124’s loaded out to 1.170 on new starline brass.

I push the mag button....let the mag drop a little...smack it back up and then it feeds the round that was jammed...

I cracked my old plastic grip over a year or so from overstuffing....

So now Im running a new grip....old dawson mag catch though...

You think its likely my feed problem is mag catch related?  It doesn't look worn or damaged.
We have been over 20 other variables over the last few months.....mag springs and followers...feed Ramp...feed lips...recoil spring...etc etc...

Its only happening once in awhile....Only during matches of course...

Cut out on my mags looks pretty good as well...

I might note that I just bought some old style infinity mags new in box someone had in their safe for years and though the lips on them do not match any spec ive heard of (around .320) they seem to run perfectly so far....No nose dives with them. Not one failure in maybe 1000 rounds.

Yeah and I know....reload...stop stuffing my mags full...its just too tempting sometimes when you have 28 or 30 in a stage....
Anybody had mag catches wear out and start screwing up feeding?

Edited by adrone

Sounds like worn springs to me since it starts off fine. When I was having nose dives with first round or two I changed mag catches and it went away. Some hold mags higher/lower and can affect feeding but from my experience its generally immediately after loading.

32 minutes ago, Sarge said:

Sounds like worn springs to me since it starts off fine. When I was having nose dives with first round or two I changed mag catches and it went away. Some hold mags higher/lower and can affect feeding but from my experience its generally immediately after loading.

All springs and followers and recoil spring have been replaced all new. The MBX spring seems to crap out pretty fast though...as in within 2-3 months...

The grams seem to last longer...

Ill replace the mag catch and see what happens

1 hour ago, adrone said:

The MBX spring seems to crap out pretty fast though...as in within 2-3 months...

You are definitely doing something wrong.  My MBX 40sw springs and followers went 3 seasons of 8000 rounds each and were still fine when I sold the mags.  The springs in my 9mm MBX mags have not been changed either.  They have 10000 rounds on them.

With new MBX springs you must condition them first, otherwise you get nose dives or even a FtF.  Load them fully and let them sit for two weeks and they should be good to go.

Mag catches can and do wear out.  If you have to slam a mag home, one of two things is happening.  Either the mag catch shelf height is wrong for your mags, or you stuffed your mags too full.  My MBX 170 mag will hold 30, but not reloadable unless I slam it.  29 in a mag locks in without effort.

CHA-LEE, on these forums, says that loading your mags to full capacity rapids degrades springs.  That may be part of your problems.

11 minutes ago, zzt said:

You are definitely doing something wrong.  My MBX 40sw springs and followers went 3 seasons of 8000 rounds each and were still fine when I sold the mags.  The springs in my 9mm MBX mags have not been changed either.  They have 10000 rounds on them.

With new MBX springs you must condition them first, otherwise you get nose dives or even a FtF.  Load them fully and let them sit for two weeks and they should be good to go.

Mag catches can and do wear out.  If you have to slam a mag home, one of two things is happening.  Either the mag catch shelf height is wrong for your mags, or you stuffed your mags too full.  My MBX 170 mag will hold 30, but not reloadable unless I slam it.  29 in a mag locks in without effort.

CHA-LEE, on these forums, says that loading your mags to full capacity rapids degrades springs.  That may be part of your problems.

Yeah after about 2-3 months the mbx spring ends up being between 1/2 and 3/4 of its original length. On the grams maybe 4-5 months tops before same thing on my big sticks.  Like i said though im real bad about stuffing that extra round in and then forcing it into the gun until it catches. Its pretty dumb I deserve to have issues from it.... You get greedy thats what happens...Its not unusual for me to run 1500 rounds every two weeks...

Current open pistol probably has over 60k through it....its very near smooth bore...

Edited by adrone