Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Loose slide fitment CZ

-JCN-

Hi guys, I was used to Glocks where you can put any slide on compatible frames because the fitment is so loose. 

I am shooting CZ shadows now and I think I effed up by mixing slides and shooting 20,000 rounds. 

Now the slide has a little up and down “play” when I push on it, that a new one doesn’t have. 

I’m sure it only affects accuracy minimally for this sport... but wondering if there is something I can do to tighten the fitment of a worn frame to slide. Or just deal?

Is there such a thing as wearing out the frame and did I accelerate it by not being generous with lube (sandpaper effect)?

Just trying to get a context of how long a competition gun should last. I’m at 20,000 rounds and that doesn’t seem like a lot from a competition perspective. 

Thanks in advance. 

Is it possible you didn't catch it when you first mixed the slides?  Unless custom fitted to tight tollerence there will be movement.   And yes it will loosen with use.  There are a lot of factors.   Many smiths offer slide tightening service.  

And for a 5" barrel, ever .001" of slide to frame movement translates to .18" at 25yrd. This is worst possible case but  likely much less.  Your call if you think it's worth spending $200 to improve.  

Edited by jwhittin

4 hours ago, waktasz said:

The sights are mounted to the slide, so the play between the slide and frame doesn't affect accuracy at all

Correct.  The fit between the barrel and the slide is what matters.

OP, again, what kind of accuracy is your pistol producing today in capable hands?

18 hours ago, jwhittin said:

And for a 5" barrel, ever .001" of slide to frame movement translates to .18" at 25yrd. This is worst possible case but  likely much less.  Your call if you think it's worth spending $200 to improve.  

I disagree with this.

5 hours ago, SGT_Schultz said:

Correct.  The fit between the barrel and the slide is what matters.

OP, again, what kind of accuracy is your pistol producing today in capable hands?

That’s a good idea. In the meantime I received a replacement optic (lens cracked) and sighted in the well worn gun and the new one. 

I’m guessing that the accuracy of both is still under 1.5” at 25 yards. I was using 1” pasters and a 6 MOA dot from a bench rest. 

But good idea. I was just sighting them in, so stopped when I was clustered close. 

I can just do a 10 shot test of each one separately and measure the spread. 

Well, I guess that answers that. Thanks Shultz for the real world data request!

Loose gun best 4/5 group at 25 yards is 1.33” and new, tight gun same thing at 25 yards is 1.56” so the loose one still is as good as anything else!

5907FA0C-5118-4531-BAF4-52ABA8C514A9.jpeg

2 hours ago, -JCN- said:

Well, I guess that answers that. Thanks Shultz for the real world data request!

Loose gun best 4/5 group at 25 yards is 1.33” and new, tight gun same thing at 25 yards is 1.56” so the loose one still is as good as anything else!

5907FA0C-5118-4531-BAF4-52ABA8C514A9.jpeg

I was right.

Imagine that...........

21 minutes ago, SGT_Schultz said:

I was right.

Imagine that...........

I’m new here, and I don’t know who is knowledgeable and who isn’t. So I appreciate you taking the time to help me help myself!

And yes, I did correct the windage on the new gun right afterwards. :D

Edited by -JCN-

Just now, -JCN- said:

I’m new here, and I don’t know who is knowledgeable and who isn’t. So I appreciate you taking the time to help me help myself!

I was right only inasmuch as I asked the right question: how does the gun shoot?

Hopefully you've learned from this whole deal the most important truth in shooting: the bullet never lies.

It means that you can get wrapped around the axle listening to all the so called experts and all the internet bulls#!t about slide to frame fit, or you can shoot the gun and see what IT tells you.