Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1100 Comp Mstr Vs. Sx2 Pract. Vs. Browning Gold?

DHart

I am interested in hearing about how these three shotgun models compare with respect to 3-gun matches... I know the Rem and Win were created with such competition in mind, just wondering if either is clearly a superior shotgun, more reliable, more commonly used/preferred, etc. Thanks, in advance, for your comments...

Edited by DHart

Had the SX2 but didn't like it. My current setup is a plain Jane stock CM1100 for Limited and an older 1100 that has been extensively modified for Open.

I do prefer gas guns over recoil opereated though. I've always had problems getting a recoil operated shotgun to work from the prone position.

Sam Spiteri

Sam... what was it about the SX2 that you didn't like? It seems most everyone raves about it. It's gas-operated as well.

AH6IP... can you tell me why the Gold is the "Ferrari" of the three? Is it superior to the SX2 in every way, including reliability?

If I were to buy an SX2 or Gold as a base-gun for your "conversion", what models of the many that are made would be the best to start with? And what barrel length?

For me the Gold is fast, shoots soft, has the ultra cool auto load feature, did I mention fast and soft. The auto load feature for me means that I only need to learn 1 loading technique, whether the bolt is locked open or there are rounds in the gun my hands always do the same thing. You do not have to remember to drop one in the port and then hit the release button, then load the remaining shells in the mag, with the Gold all you do is just jam shells in the magazine as fast as you can, this means less fumbling for me, and faster times. It has been ultra reliable and for me it does not jam when it gets dirty. The only gas system that is better is the Beretta 391 and the Gold is very close to as good as the 391. In my gun it will run at least 1000+ shells with even thinking about cleaning the gas system, I am sure it will run WAY more than that, I have just never ran it past about 1200 rds without cleaning. It will run 7/8oz 2 1/4 dram shells for my daughter (Yes that is like a 28ga shell in power, NO recoil at all) all way up to full power 3" mags without jamming. In the 4years that I have shot mine I have NEVER relaced a worn or broken part on the gun! All I do is shoot it and clean it.

Scott

Scott... sounds like a great endorsement of the Gold... which model/set-up do you use for 3-gun? Barrel length, mag length? I presume it's a custom gun?

AH6IP...If I were to buy an SX2 or Gold as a base-gun for your "Dominator Package", (I presume you offer the package for both the Gold and the SX2?) what models of the many that are made would be the best to start with? And in what barrel length?

I just picked up a NIB 1100CM today and though I only ran one mag full of 00 buck through it late this afternoon, I can say that I definitely like it so far. Of course there is a lot of shooting to be done to thoroughly check it out. I would like to add a few more shotguns over time (this is my current "addiction"), including an SX2, Gold, 231, and possibly an FN self-loading Police.

Cool thing is you can get the gas-driven SX2 mechanism in a short, tactical version in the form of the FN SLP - self-loading police... 18" barrel, 6+1 capacity, short stock. It's a really cool little shotgun with the qualities of an SX2. Even comes with two gas pistons for light or heavy loads... just like the SX2 does. Seems like it would make an awesome HD self-loading shotty.

My Gold is a Gold Hunter Turkey model that is no longer made. I found the gun new for $750 and it came with a $100 rebate from Browning so I only paid $650. It came with a 24" barrel with turkey sights on it. The turkey sights are not very accurate and I have recently added a set of Williams fire sights that are much more accurate. The gun will group slugs at 100 yds in an 8" circle. I left the barrel length at 24" and use a mod choke in it. It is a 3" gun. After I had it for about a year I sent it to Briley for a trigger job and to polish the bolt, the trigger job is great but when I got the gun back it looked like they spent about 10 min on the bolt because it didn't look much different than when I sent it to them. I don’t think you need the bolt polishing but AH6IP (Rocking H Tactical) would know better than I would.

Scott

As much as I would love to do a conversion on everybody's Gold, let me say that getting a 24" barrel 3" model is a great way to start (even a 3.5" model). You really don't need to cut the barrel back (to hell with those that make it mandatory to have a 22" barrel), and you can add a mag extension and go shoot. Now, there are a few things I HIGHLY recommend doing to them, and polishing the bolt/carrier is one of them. That's why mine work good!

I add a +1 to Scott. I have the Gold Hunter version in 28". I've been wanting to get a 22" barrel for it, but funds are short. I have the 3" model. I also have the model that appears to have a chrome plated bolt and carrier as opposed to the darker bolt and carrier I've seen on a stalker model. I shoot mine not only for 3-gun but also for hunting, so I want to keep it as stock as possible so that I can hunt with it. When I go hunting, I take off the extended magazine, and leave my speed loading loops on it. Sometimes I leave the blind minus my jacket and I like to have shells handy for a reload. I've not shot slugs through it past about 50 yards, but if I line things up with my bead sight, I have no problem hitting an ipsc target at 50 yards or so. I tend to shoot a Mod choke regardless of shot or slug. My S&B slugs just squeeze through the Mod choke (I know this since I cut one out and can physically push it through the choke).

I like the fact that I only have to load it one way. :)

I spent about $800 for it new, and have been happy with it since I purchased it. The only things I've replaced are the action spring (Wolff +20%) and the hammer spring (also Wolf +20%).

Vince

Curious... would there be any functional benefit (enhanced reliability) from hard chroming or NP3 coating the carrier and bolt? Those finishes are extremely durable (hard chrome), slick as a lick and clean up really easily.

Edited by DHart

Jerry... I have an FN SLP (Self Loading Police) on order just as a "fun gun" and possible HD use... should get here next Wednesday. The gun is basically a Winchester SX2 with 18" barrel, 6+1 capacity, Ghost ring sights, two gas pistols for low & hi power loads and... someone said it had the Browning Gold "quick-loading" feature, but I'm not sure.

Have you worked on any of these? What enhancements would you suggest to make the gun all it can be? Here's a link to the info on it:

http://www.fnhusa.com/contents/sg_selfloading.htm

=======

UPDATE - I'm told by FNH USA that the FN SLP does NOT have the "quick-load" feature found on some Golds. Apparently the mechanism has been associated with reduced reliability, which makes sense as usually more features means more complexity means greater potential for trouble.

Jerry... what would you suggest to make an FN SLP it's best?

Edited by DHart

DHart

Between the Rem and Win/Browning. Given that we might end up at the same match some day, I think you should go with the Remington. I love shooting against them.

I'm using one of Harp's Browning Golds. Shoots soft and accurate. Mine likes regular and thorough tender loving care, but I don't mind a bit. When its love, you do all kinds of crazy things.

Good luck with the choice. Jerry, hope to see you at the Area 6 3 gun match.

MHearn

I have the Gold Hunter version in 28".

Sounds like I have the same gun.

bgh.jpg

I got this gun several years back in like-new condition for $475! I'd like to keep it to where I could still shoot skeet with it from time to time. At a minimum, what would I need to do to it to shoot in a 3 gun match? 22" or 24" barrel? Extended mag (I assume those can be easily installed/removed.) Any links to where I can get recommended parts would be greatly appreciated. I've only been shooting IPSC and Steel style matches for a few months and know virtually nothing about 3 gun. I saw some footage on Shooting USA recently and all I know is it looks fun! :D

Thanks,

Mike

Jerry... thanks... I'll do that.

Nice looking "Practical clone" ya made there.

Point of interest, I was told yesterday by the Regional Sales Manager at FN-Herstal USA that the quick-loading feature on the Gold models can compromise reliability... he said that their guns without that feature (like the SX2-based police shotguns) tend to be more reliable (not that Gold guns with the feature are necesarily UNreliable, however). That seems to make sense to me, in that the more complex a mechanism, the more there is to go wrong. For a defense shotty would you lean toward the SX2 over a Gold?

As regards the magazine block in the Gold... does that simply prevent shells from entering the receiver when one is not engaged in shooting the gun? Any functional issues with that mechanism, like possibility of inadvertant engagement?

I ask this because on a hunting or a competition gun, these features are nice to have and one's life is not dependant on the weapon functioning. Whereas on a defense shotgun, reliability is everything and it would seem that is why these features aren't put on police and military guns. Does that make sense?

Lastly (sorry for all the questions, but I really want to understand all of this clearly)... when you take a Gold that was designed to function with a 26, 28" barrel, whatever and cut the barrel to 18", do you need to modify the gas system to maintain reliability? I've heard numerous accounts of shotguns not functioning reliably after cutting a barrel short, without modifications to the gas system.

Thanks...

Edited by DHart

If you want reliablity for self defense get a cheap pump.

The stock Browning works just fine even with the speed loading feature, mine was 100% reliable as a hunting gun. When you throw on an extended mag tube and stuff twice as many shells then it was designed for, certain problems will creep up. Besides using a longer mag tube spring, the carrier latch spring needs to go lighter, and the recoil spring needs to be the 3 1/2" version. If you change one without changing the other, they don't balance out and you get feeding problems. I know with mine if you don't clean it after a few hundred rounds, the bolt won't close all the way and end up getting a light strike. The build up of carbon residue on the outside of the mag tube prevents the piston from going all the way forward. With my gun, it either needs to be cleaned every few hundred rounds or the piston needs to be wet with lube.

The magazine cutoff does just that, cuts off the rounds from the mag tube from feeding turning it into a single shot shotgun. It's pretty hard to flick it on, easy to flick it off. With a 3 gungear side saddle, it's pretty much covered up. I have used it once in a match. The stage was to start firing 4 slugs then continue with birdshot. Well I missed two of the slug shots, so I flipped the mag cutoff, ejected the birdshot in the chamber, toss a slug through the ejection port and hit the release button and repeated for the second shot, then flipped the mag cutoff and it'll send the next round in the magtube into the chamber. That was the only time I ever used it in a competition. Magazine cutoffs can be used in self defense or on duty when you need to swap out a round for something else.

I have a 28" barrel and the 22". Haven't had any problems. The gas piston and gas port have not been modified on my gun. The 22" is a Browning OEM barrel. I don't think there is any reason to go shorter than 22" in my case since the mag tube is already longer than the barrel.