Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

NEEDED: 9mm 147 Plated Bullet Load

vince

Hello, new to the BE forum, but surely not new to reloading. But i have a question...

I`ve got a bunch of 147gr Plated FLAT POINT bullets given to me. They measure averagely .355/5 

None have measured .356, all are just under .356   I`m looking for complete load data for CFE-Pistol powder, looking for min/max load data. (using winchester SP primers)

I have searched all over the internet for load data, not seeing alot of data for the plated 147gr flat point bullets using CFE-Pistol powder. Lots of info for jacketed, but not plated.

And what do you guys run your OAL at with the 147gr Plated Flat Point at. I`ve seen this number all over the place... seems there is alotta opinions on this OAL w/147gr Flat Point bullets.

EDIT: I forgot to ask about bullet/case crimp. What do you guys prefer in the diameter (i`ve been running .378/.379 average)

I have some other pistol powders, but i want to use the CFE-Pistol powder because i have a bunch of it.

My next choice of powder to try is titegroup, but i dont like the spikiness that can happen with this powder.

How do you folks like the "Power Pistol" "Sport Pistol" powder (?)  I have never tried it before, but i see people chat often about it.

Guns i`m using these bullets in, are:

Sig: P365

Glock 43 26 19

M&P: Performance Center Shield 9 and a fullsize 5inch 9L (Both guns have OEM Ported Barrels)

Any pet loads you guys have, sure would like to see them if you`d like to share. 

Thank you guys

PS... lurked around BE site for a long time, lot of great info! Decided i finally needed to join y`all.

Edited by vince

1) Use FMJ data and develop your load from the minimum charge.

2) When crimping 9mm you should only be removing the flare, shoot for somewhere between .377-.379 at the case mouth.

3) CFE Pistol, Titegroup, Power Pistol, Sport Pistol etc. they'll all work. I'm not sure what "spikiness" your referring to in regards to TG, it's a great powder for 9mm minor loads.

4) The reason OAL's are all over the place is because you must find your own. Every bullet/barrel combination will produce a different max OAL (e.g. I can load my 147gr bullets to 1.15 for my M&P but I load all my 9mm to 1.09 because my CZ has the shortest leade).

- How to determine OAL: https://czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=34225.msg189131#msg189131 (If your bullet doesn't easily collapse just use the seating die to shorten the OAL incrementally until it plunks)

- Plunk test:

Edited by 4n2t0

1 hour ago, 4n2t0 said:

1) Use FMJ data and develop your load from the minimum charge.

2) When crimping 9mm you should only be removing the flare, shoot for somewhere between .377-.379 at the case mouth.

3) CFE Pistol, Titegroup, Power Pistol, Sport Pistol etc. they'll all work. I'm not sure what "spikiness" your referring to in regards to TG, it's a great powder for 9mm minor loads.

4) The reason OAL's are all over the place is because you must find your own. Every bullet/barrel combination will produce a different max OAL (e.g. I can load my 147gr bullets to 1.15 for my M&P but I load all my 9mm to 1.09 because my CZ has the shortest leade).

- How to determine OAL: https://czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=34225.msg189131#msg189131 (If your bullet doesn't easily collapse just use the seating die to shorten the OAL incrementally until it plunks)

- Plunk test:

Thank you for the information 4n2t0, very helpful. 

My OAL is 1.140 and my rounds plunk good in all my guns with exception to my M&P`s. Looks like i`ll have to load the next ones at around 1.130 and see what that feels like.

I can just slightly feel the ones at 1.140 are just starting to hit the rifle lands in the M&P barrels, so i will reload the next rounds a little deeper in the cases @ 1.130

I think i`m good with the crimp. They are all at .379 diameter and they pass the plunk test, and they also pass inspection in my Dillon case gauge ok too.

Another person i spoke with, said 4.0gr CFE-Pistol was the sweet spot for him with the 147gr FP plated bullets. But that was with his pistols, not mine, so we`ll see how they work, for me.

I do have a good chronograph, so i`ll be looking at that information and determine from there. I`m hoping for something around 875 to 900fps. That`s my goal anyway.

Hopefully, this load will knock some steels pretty decent.

"spikiness"

I was referring to how hot Titegroup powder can run pretty hot. I do use TG in my 45acp loads, and its a tack driver, but it can run hot, in my opinion.

And TG loaded up a little stout, the recoil is pretty sharp. I dont get any of that with the CFE Pistol powder. CFE burns clean, little softer recoil, but not as accurate in my 45`s.

I`ve got a bunch of CFE loads for my 9mm guns, and the CFE just drives my 124gr bullet`s right in the bullseye all day long. So i thought why not use up these 147`s w/CFE.

What most of this all comes down to for me, is that i have way to many different powders sitting around. I would like to start eliminating alot of it and get it down to where i have just a couple 2 or 3 types of powder. My main powders i seem to use all the time (and i like) are TG and CFE just for my pistols. I`m already down to 3 different rifle powders... IMR8208XBR ARcomp CFE223. I`ve got other powders here that i haven`t even touched in over 30yrs. So this is where the CFE Pistol powder comes in at to use it for these 147gr plated bullets. I dont want to go buy other powders just to try them out and find out they dont work well for me, and then THAT powder sits uselessly. Just trying to consolidate and conserve, but still have good accurate loads with what i have.

Edited by vince

I don’t have a load with flat points specifically, but I do like 3.0-3.1gr Titegroup loaded around 1.13” with Everglades 147gr RN. 3.0 works well in sp-01 with a 13lb cagun Gun works recoil spring and Glock 34 with a stock and 11lb recoil spring as long as the guns are clean. After a couple hundred rounds I start getting failures to lock open on an empty mag, but not any cycling issues. IIRC it was around 128-130 pf in my cz and ~133 in my Glock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, looking4reloadingdeals said:

I don’t have a load with flat points specifically, but I do like 3.0-3.1gr Titegroup loaded around 1.13” with Everglades 147gr RN. 3.0 works well in sp-01 with a 13lb cagun Gun works recoil spring and Glock 34 with a stock and 11lb recoil spring as long as the guns are clean. After a couple hundred rounds I start getting failures to lock open on an empty mag, but not any cycling issues. IIRC it was around 128-130 pf in my cz and ~133 in my Glock.

Have you run this load thru a chronograph...? Be interesting to know those numbers.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/11/2020 at 6:25 PM, looking4reloadingdeals said:

No problem, hope it works out for you

Hey, L4R,

just wanted to let you know that i checked out your spreadsheet, and i tried a couple of your titegroup loads... oh man just awesome!!!

Got some good shoots this past week using your data! THANK YOU!

20 minutes ago, vince said:

Hey, L4R,

just wanted to let you know that i checked out your spreadsheet, and i tried a couple of your titegroup loads... oh man just awesome!!!

Got some good shoots this past week using your data! THANK YOU!

No problem Vince, I'm glad that you were able to use it, that's why I made it. I was hoping it would help a couple guys out with some load data so its great to hear it helped you. 

5 minutes ago, looking4reloadingdeals said:

No problem Vince, I'm glad that you were able to use it, that's why I made it. I was hoping it would help a couple guys out with some load data so its great to hear it helped you. 

It sure did my friend, it sure did, thank you so much, again. ;)

I also saw a load in there for the 45... same load i use, excellent accuracy.

It sure did my friend, it sure did, thank you so much, again. [emoji6]
I also saw a load in there for the 45... same load i use, excellent accuracy.

Haha ya, that data ended up being a little incomplete as I shot a rod off of my chrono that holds my lights and when shooting indoors it won’t pick up any shots without the lights

1 hour ago, looking4reloadingdeals said:

Haha ya, that data ended up being a little incomplete as I shot a rod off of my chrono that holds my lights and when shooting indoors it won’t pick up any shots without the lights

😂 ohhhhhhhhhh nooooooooooooooo.... i had that happen to me, but a friend of mine did it for me...lol.... i let him borrow my chrono and it came back in a billion pieces.

He hit it right square in the middle... smoked it. He felt so bad. And yeah, he bought me a brand new one...lol. He hasnt borrowed it since...lol.

[emoji23] ohhhhhhhhhh nooooooooooooooo.... i had that happen to me, but a friend of mine did it for me...lol.... i let him borrow my chrono and it came back in a billion pieces.
He hit it right square in the middle... smoked it. He felt so bad. And yeah, he bought me a brand new one...lol. He hasnt borrowed it since...lol.

Ouch... at least mine was only the rod that I can replace at the hardware store for a couple bucks

36 minutes ago, looking4reloadingdeals said:

Ouch... at least mine was only the rod that I can replace at the hardware store for a couple bucks

I just bought one of the latest PACT2 PRO models. I hope that one never takes a hit, because no hardware store will ever have anything that i will be able to buy to fix it. :(

2 hours ago, vince said:

I just bought one of the latest PACT2 PRO models. I hope that one never takes a hit, because no hardware store will ever have anything that i will be able to buy to fix it. :(

You will probably be amazed if, in the event it gets shot, what the manufacturer will do to help. A buddy shot my pro CHRONO a long time ago and they said to send it in. They pretty much rebuilt it for a modest fee.

Also got my pocket pro II wet once last year. Screen went out. They put a new screen in for around $20.
Moral of the story is to always ask.

Bullet dia. and case thickness should be used for determining your taper crimp. Measure case-thickness within 1mm of the case-mouth. It's as simple as Case Thickness x 2 + bullet dia. - the amount of crimp you want to apply. Case thickness can vary too much to set a .002" range of case-mouth dia. after the taper crimp. The difference you'll find in case-neck thickness can be several thousandths more as in .009" - .014". WIN still consistently measures .011" for me, but there will be very slight variations even with a single brand. You'll likely want at least .001" of taper crimp and .002" is not too much. I kind of shoot for the middle with .0015". With the bullet being plated you might want to try .001" of TC and see if the bullet sets back when you press it's nose into your bench top or a block of wood. Just to illustrate what that would look like with a WIN case, .011" x 2 + .355" - .001", or .376". If the bullet sets back at all, .002" of taper crimp in this particular example would mean a finished dia. of .375" while reading between the hashmarks between .375 and .376", .3755" is generally where I'm at with cases of .011" thickness and a .355" bullet.

As far as powders, I'm looking into True Blue and AA No 2 with the RMR 147 gr. TC FMJ and my current loads should be right around 130 PF. I'm a big and longtime fan of True Blue, but it doesn't quite burn as fast as shooters typically use for gun games. If you also want to load JHPs, then I'd consider it, but you have CFE Pistol for that. I'm looking at No 2 because like TiteGroup it isn't sensitive to powder positioning in the case. 3.6 grs. is what I'm using with an OACL of 1.142"/29mm for the truncated cone FMJ. It's lofty as far as spherical handgun powders go, so with a low bulk density of .635 grams/cc or 635 grams/liter, case fill is pretty good. Might as well burn the TiteGroup you have in loads with plated bullets.😉

Edited by K-Texas

13 minutes ago, Sarge said:

You will probably be amazed if, in the event it gets shot, what the manufacturer will do to help. A buddy shot my pro CHRONO a long time ago and they said to send it in. They pretty much rebuilt it for a modest fee.

Also got my pocket pro II wet once last year. Screen went out. They put a new screen in for around $20.
Moral of the story is to always ask.

Oh no doubt sarge ;)