Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Load Data With Titegroup Powder

looking4reloadingdeals

Hello everyone,

I have been putting together some load data for some of the loads I use commonly. I'm hoping this data may help some others that are looking for some data with Titegroup powder. The loads highlighted in yellow are those that I found work best for me. These loads were tested using my Caldwell Ballistic Precision Chronograph Premium Kit. Powder is generally +/- 0.1 gr as it dropped using a Hornady powder drop on my Dillon xl650(although usually right at the listed charge). COAL are generally +/- 0.005" seated using Lee seating die. 

This link will be updated as I continue to develop more loads and test them. 

Velocities taken at ~4-5 feet from barrel

All calculations were done by hand using formulas, please let me know if anything seems off. 

As with any load data posted on the internet, please start testing low and work your way up. 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1DSbEZeGeToe2YIoHyMXMjO9Oyp_dvQEM7VJ3tqfdwg0/edit?usp=sharing

This is my first time posting a link to a google sheets doc. I tried to make it "view only", if for some reason it does not come across that way please don't edit the document and let me know so I can adjust it. 

Hope this helps some others develop some loads. 

Edited by looking4reloadingdeals

When I used titegroup my load with 147’s was 3.0gr and with 124’s it was 3.8gr, power factor was always around 130. I always set up my chrono at 10ft from the muzzle.
For FMJ, this is what I used for 132+ PF.

115g 4.4g
124g 4.0g
135g 3.6g
147g 3.2g

For 165g plated I used 2.9g

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I thought one was supposed to be at least 10 feet away from the chronograph when measuring velocity.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Hmm, I thought it was 5ft. Maybe I’ll do another test with the chrono 10ft away and see if I get any difference in results, thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, looking4reloadingdeals said:

Hmm, I thought it was 5ft. Maybe I’ll do another test with the chrono 10ft away and see if I get any difference in results, thanks.

10-12 ft according to my chrono’s instructions in order to prevent getting false readings due to the muzzle blast.

6 hours ago, looking4reloadingdeals said:

I use the Caldwell chrono and it states that the unit must be 10-15 ft from the muzzle for the reading. Every match I’ve been to that chrono’s has the chrono set up at least 10 ft away.

Edited by mveto
Spelling

I use the Caldwell chrono and it states that the unit must be 10-15 ft from the muzzle for the reading. Every match I’ve been to that chronic has the chrono set up at least 10 ft away.

Guess I should’ve read the manual more closely haha. Guess I get to go do some more testing now!

Went out and tested 4 more loads today (2 of the same load) and got extremely similar results. The largest difference was just over 1fps over a 10 shot average. After this I would consider most all of the load data above close enough to start load development with. After looking at my previous set ups, the chrono was likely at about 7 feet, not 5.

The google sheet has been updated for those interested in the difference or who want to reference the sheet.
Obligatory “start low and work your way up”

• 1 month later...
On 1/7/2020 at 8:30 PM, looking4reloadingdeals said:

Went out and tested 4 more loads today (2 of the same load) and got extremely similar results. The largest difference was just over 1fps over a 10 shot average. After this I would consider most all of the load data above close enough to start load development with. After looking at my previous set ups, the chrono was likely at about 7 feet, not 5.

The google sheet has been updated for those interested in the difference or who want to reference the sheet.
Obligatory “start low and work your way up”

I dont think i would worry about it. Hell they even have chrono`s that mount right on the barrels of rifles these days.

As a rule though, i try to keep it at the distance specified by the chrono brands i`m using. They are calibrated at/for specified distances.