Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cleaned And Lubed The 1050 Rl

I'm borrowing a 1050 from a friend set up in a 40. I'm getting a new open gun mid november so I got the caliber conversion kit and toolhead from our forum host. I've pumped out about 8k rounds in 40 for my limited gun so far and I thought I would tear the machine down, clean it, and re-lube it before switching the caliber.

Thoughts/Observations:

This is one well-built machine. All of the parts reek of quality and longevity. I think I read in one of our forum member's (Dillon) posts that this machine should be capable of cranking out 3 million rounds if proper maintained. I believe it.

Even after the 8K rounds, everything was still well-greased and I think I could probably go 20K between cleaning/relubing the machine with no ill effects (although I definitely won't go that long.)

Questions:

I took everything apart except for the mainshaft pivot pin and the con rod assembly. I loosened the allen screw in the back that seems to hold the pin in place but I wasn't able to remove the pin. I know I can grease the assembly through the zerks but I wanted to get in there and get any built up gunk outta there.

1. is this overkill and should I just use the zerks?

2. how many of y'all are using the swage station? I'm using all once-fired remington in 40 and all starline for 38 SC.

Sorry for the long post.

I would also pull the mainshaft out and lube it as well while you have it stripped down. You can get the top and bottom lubed, but unless you take it out you cant get the middle area that galls if it doesnt have lube....... :angry:

Once you take the allen head screw with the spacer that runs the index mechanism you can line up the push pin on the mainshaft with the witness holes on the frame and it slides right out. A little grease or slideglide and it is good to go. Also worth it to pop the shellplate up now and then and clean out the primer slide area, as it gunks up from time to time. It doesnt hurt to superglue the rubber boot on the primer slide and trim it so it doesnt push out against the side of the channel. That will cause you problems big time, and by glueing it it will last longer since it doesnt get mashed and expanded.

Hope some of this helps, DougC

Once you take the allen head screw with the spacer that runs the index mechanism you can line up the push pin on the mainshaft with the witness holes on the frame and it slides right out.  A little grease or slideglide and it is good to go.  Also worth it to pop the shellplate up now and then and clean out the primer slide area, as it gunks up from time to time.  It doesnt hurt to superglue the rubber boot on the primer slide and trim it so it doesnt push out against the side of the channel.  That will cause you problems big time, and by glueing it it will last longer since it doesnt get mashed and expanded.

Hope some of this helps, DougC

Thanks for the advice. I did try to push the pin out (right to left) through the hole with a brass punch but it didn't budge and I didn't want to hammer on it. I'll try again after the next 10K.

Got the primer slide area.

I'll definitely look into the rubber boot.

I've got a 1050 and I always clean it after 20,000 rounds including cleaning the big bearing and re-packing it. Mine comes off the bench and get stripped down bare and then everything that needs to be greased or lubed gets it. Never had any problems but the powder slide, and thats been replaced about 6-7 times, if you take care of it it will take care of you.

Greg

Gee,

And I lube my machine about once a year, whether or not it needs it..... :wub:

The zerks are just fine for lubing the innards. The big thing is to clean the primer system, mainly scrub the primer slide track, push a patch moistened with alcohol through the magazine tube, inspect the rubber bumper on the rear of the slide.

I do this every time I change calibers, or about once every 10-15,000 rounds.

Then I wipe off the platform area, relube everything that needs grease, change calibers and reassemble.

What are people using on the casefeed roller track, roller bolt and plunger roller - that stays and lubes well?

I have some 30W oil on there now, had some militec-1 on there, worked good, but didn't seem to stay for long.

What are people using on the casefeed roller track, roller bolt and plunger roller - that stays and lubes well?

I have some 30W oil on there now, had some militec-1 on there, worked good, but didn't seem to stay for long.

Slide Glide. Lite is what's on there now.

I'm using automotive grease. Oil is not going to work that great without constant reapplication.

I called Dillon and they just said any kind of grease should work.