Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Will There Ever Be a 929 in 4" ?

TheGoatMumbler

• 1 year later...

Once again, reviving an old post.  

I had Pinnacle Performance cut my 929 to 5".  If I would have had two of them, I would have the other cut to 4.25" just for IDPA.

Their rules say you can have an 8 shooter but only load six.  I would not have a problem clicking on two empty chambers.... I count.

Edited by Drillbit

55 minutes ago, Drillbit said:

Once again, reviving an old post.  

I had Pinnacle Performance cut my 929 to 5".  If I would have had two of them, I would have the other cut to 4.25" just for IDPA.

Their rules say you can have an 8 shooter but only load six.  I would not have a problem clicking on two empty chambers.... I count.

I can click on 2 empty chambers faster than I can insure the empty spots are correctly oriented during a reload, but either would be slow. 

I agree... Either would be slower. 

I shot an IDPA match last month and won the revolver division shooting a 625.  Of course I was the only person shooting revolver.  So I'm thinking, two clicks would work.  

• 2 months later...

Yeh 8 shot cylinders are just not practical for IDPA. But just to put this too bed for good....9mm is not allowed in Revolver Division. 

In Stock Revolver there is no moon clips, speed loaders only so 9mm is out regardless.  In Enhanced Revolver where moon clips are allowed minimum cartridge  gun is 357 and you can not use 9mm in those guns even if you reamed the cylinder as only 38 special and 357 mag are allowed in a 357 marked Revolver.   

You will notice its not one of the listed cartridges in the latest 2017 rules. Smallest is 38 special.

For IDPA the best choice outside 357/38 is 45 acp IMO.  No issue finding 45 acp cases cheaper and more plentiful than 38/357/38 short.  You tech could even shoot it in stock Rev using 45 auto rim.  But lost brass that is more costly but still an option.  A nice 625JM fits nicely.  Be creative and pu a 325pd Ti cylinder and you have a very sweet setup you can also use in ICORE even if not ideal barrel length.

Edited by tim_w

On 9/5/2021 at 2:21 AM, tim_w said:

For IDPA the best choice outside 357/38 is 45 acp IMO.  No issue finding 45 acp cases cheaper and more plentiful than 38/357/38 short.  You tech could even shoot it in stock Rev using 45 auto rim.  But lost brass that is more costly but still an option.  A nice 625JM fits nicely.  Be creative and pu a 325pd Ti cylinder and you have a very sweet setup you can also use in ICORE even if not ideal barrel length.

Shooting 40 in a 10mm (or 10mm dowloaded if you have the brass and large pistol primers) is another option. Gun choice might be limited to Ruger. 

16 hours ago, IHAVEGAS said:

Shooting 40 in a 10mm (or 10mm dowloaded if you have the brass and large pistol primers) is another option. Gun choice might be limited to Ruger. 

Very true.  I love 10mm especially in bottom feeders. 40 would work very well for IDPA Rev enhanced.  It would fully clear the cyl with room to spare on extraction.  I would choose to run 40 over 10 unless for some reason I could not from a supply issue..  Ruger is certainly an option but S&W does make the 610 in a 4" IIRC.   With 40 it would have the same benefit as 45 acp, except there is no rimmed case option, admittedly a more costly one if you wanted to be able to run SSR or ESR.  But 40 is superior to 38/357 in ESR as there is no short case that can make major and fully clear the cyl.  Only real negative I could think of for 40 in ESR is lack of a Ti cyl option, so a bit more maintenance and a bit shorter cyl service life.  Just take the time to learn to fit your own cyl and stop.

Edited by tim_w

30 minutes ago, tim_w said:

Only real negative I could think of for 40 in ESR is lack of a Ti cyl option, so a bit more maintenance and a bit shorter cyl service life.  Just take the time to learn to fit your own cyl and stop.

Many, many, many other things would wear out before your cylinder shooting 155+ PF .40. Besides, S&W Ti cylinders have had a tendency to literally rot in the past, so I'm not sure that they'd be my go-to.

There's a few revolvers that would work:

• GP-100 in 10mm
  • S&W 646 (.40)
  • S&W 610
  • Chiappa Rhino 40DS (.40)

I shoot a Rhino and have done very well with it. The primary downside is there's literally zero aftermarket support; I've had to do customization through machinists (like our beloved Protocall Design). Chiappa USA is also limited in terms of parts - they only have whatever Italy decides to ship and it's often feast or famine.

Of the Smiths, I'd choose the 646 over the 610. It's an L-Frame so the cylinder is smaller and will reload faster. The 610 will require more precision when dropping in moons as the cylinder diameter is greater. You increase the chance of landing the bullet noses between charge holes, and as any serious revo shooter will tell you, reload speed and accuracy is really king.

On that note... unless you're fully set up for .40 and don't reload .45, there's no compelling reason to choose a 646 or 610 over a 625. It's less expensive and the charge holes on the 625 are so large and close together that you can reload the darn thing from space. 

@matteekay

Very good points.  I agree the 646 would be the better choice but good luck finding one.  If you did would you really want to beat up a gun with such low production numbers, especially the PC, competing with it.  I know some guys that have looked for ones for quite some time and they go for very $$.  The PC had a Ti cyl.

Edited by tim_w

4 hours ago, tim_w said:

@matteekay

Very good points.  I agree the 646 would be the better choice but good luck finding one.  If you did would you really want to beat up a gun with such low production numbers, especially the PC, competing with it. 

Well... yes, I would, because guns are meant to be shot (but that's neither here nor there).

It's basically another argument for a 625. They made Ti cylinders for those as well.

You could then shoot a 230gr bullet going 675 fps and make PF 😄 .

Oh I agree tools are meant to be used but to spend say 1800 for a base gun  I would just not want to do that.  A gun like that would be a rec gun.

But I do find for major I shoot better using larger bore heavy and slower using the fastest powder that will keep peak pressure within reason.

For IDPA ESR a nice 625.  Swap in a 325 Ti Cyl.

Do my normal prep to the gun:

Check/Adjust: Cyl square faces,, Timing, Stop,, Headspace, cyl gap,, end shake,, extractor rod and crane alignment etc.. Stuff you really should not have to address..  The usual trigger work. 

Cleanup the cyl chamber throats so they are all the same, chamfer and polish .Recut the cone throat 5 tenth over bore and 1.5° leade so the bullet of choice just kisses the rifling when its base is level with the inside edge of the cone radius. Dent ball for cyl open

Load up coated 230s RN 3.7gr N310. Fed Primer 690-700fps.   Ready to go.