Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Calibre Do You Shoot In Uspsa

XAFSP

Sorry Flex couldn't resist...hell, it was there as a choice!

Me too...

You really need to look at the divisions first, and pick the caliber to match.

Better yet, whatever you have now, start shooting that (if like Flex said, it runs 100%) and decide if you need/want to change at all, later..

• 1 month later...

Many moons ago (1989 Western States match in Reno), a fellow shooter shot the whole match with his .44 magnum wheelgun (I ferget' whether it was S&W, or Ruger) with full power factory ammo. He was a real small and thin guy so it was pushing him around quite a bit, but he finished the whole match with no griping and did not place anywhere near the absolute bottom. That's gumption! ;-)

• 2 weeks later...

Many moons ago I once knew a SC that purposely used a model 29 S&W to get classified in the "then" new Limited Division so he could switch back to his 1911 and clean up in "D" class at the Sectional Championship.

Obviously...he set a "fine" example. :angry:

For me...Limited, L-10, and Production...45ACP.

One press, one 5 gallon pail of brass, one brand of primer, one bullet design. All I need to do is adjust the powder measure.

:)

Edited by Chuck D

For me 9mm in production and Major 9 in open. Makes it very easy to reload. Just change the powder and primers and I am good to go for both. If you are just starting shoot what you have. roduction is the easiest to get into and the prices of 9mm at Wallyworld can't be beat.

John said it in a nutshell.

Just a bit more clarification:

If you reload your own ammo, 40 S&W downloaded to minor power factor works great for Production, loaded to major for Limited and L10 (which is what I use). A 40 Glock runs in all the above, as well in IDPA, if you are looking for a gun as well, though a single action is preferred by many (but certainly not all) in Limited and L10.

If you don't reload, 9mm is cheap to buy and readily accessible. You are at some disadvantage because of the minor PF scoring in Limited and L10.

So, ask yourself:

What gun(s) do I have or are willing to buy to shoot, and in what sport/division?

Am I or will I be reload my own ammunition?

Good Luck!

Kevin C.