Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Draw Critique

Robertwil18

I know it is not the best possible view, but the best i have from this most recent match, and looking for suggestions/critique on the draw.  This stage was set so that you had to engage all targets from within the fault line behind the hard cover.  I elected to go support side first and finish fast on the strong side.  I am leaning with weight on my left leg, with hands relaxed at sides.  I broke the video down to only the draw for this stage.  I will try to add more as available.  Thanks.  

One more to add.  Video not the best as it was taken on a buddy's GoPro while he was watching.  I don't know why i felt the need to punch out so deliberately on the draw on this one, and I had a mental error on the second array as it was Virginia Count and i was debating a make up shot prior to transitioning to the top of the array.  Time was 9.22 with all A's.  I ran it again just for fun after and ran a 7.48 with 3 C's.  Wish I could have kept the second run.   Not a classifier, just another stage.  

I am not master blaster, but it looks like you have a multiple step draw. 1 hand goes to gun, 2 hands come together, 3 gun comes up. get yourself a shot timer and work on your reaction time. just use the beep with no pars at first. work on getting your hands in place simultaneously. your strong hand should immediately mount the gun, your support hand should also be moving into position to meet the other hand. once the hands come together, then establish grip as the hands/gun move up into position with the sights aligned to break the shot as soon as you have an acceptable sight picture. if that all makes sense. just my 2 cents worth aren't worth much. PM me if you have any more questions.

In the first video, it looks like your left hand lags at the beginning. Is it normal for you, or caused by the unbalanced position?

Both hands should start moving at the same time, so that the support hand is ready in front of your body when the shooting hand with the pistol gets there.

Hand speed in general is slow. 
Weak hand is late in moving. Both hands should move at the same time.

You're also tucking your head more than I would recommend, but if you're going to go with that head tuck, then start in the start position that way so that you're not raising the gun and ducking you head at the same time. Pretty hard to get a sub second draw if you sights and your vision are both changing levels

Edited by waktasz

I appreciate the critiques and will work on the information provided.  I'm by no means an expert and just getting back into competitive shooting after about 10 years away and I'm having a great time with it.  

I'll work the draw some more during dry fire practice and work on cleaning up the wasted movements.  I'll have another match in 2 weeks and I'll hopefully see some progress.  I typically just review video on my own, but I'm happy to post more here for helpful information.

Thanks again.

• 1 month later...

Hard to see much of your draw. In the second video, there is a very noticeable transition delay on the second target array. After you engage the low target, you took another site picture, as if deciding wither or not to engage the lower target again. 

• 9 months later...

you look like you have practiced a tactical draw almost like a 2 step up stroke. 
Get on a timer and put a Target 4 feet in front of you with an empty chamber. 
Then make yourself get a good grip with both hands moving simultaneously like waktasz said above. 
work on good sight picture without trigger presses all while not allowing any other part of your head shoulders to move. decreasing part time as you achieve.