Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Walther Q5 SF "auto slide forward" during reload

WxGuy

Has anyone had their SF consistently auto forward during a slide lock reload?  If so, did you modify or use specific ammo?  Mine has done it a few times and I don't remember what ammo I was using at that moment.  I do slam my mags.  Thanks for replies.

Edited by WxGuy

Not a Q5 SF owner, but if you're not getting auto-forward every single time, the modification to do so is simple and works on any handgun I've ever seen.

Slightly round the corner of the slide stop where it lifts up and holds the slide back. Go slow, remove very little material. It only takes a tiny bit of rounding to work and removing too much may mean that the slide does not reliably lock open on empty. 

Thanks so far with the replies!

How many rounds do you have in the guns?  I know at 500 rounds I still have some breaking in to do.  My RSA is a Sprinco with yellow spring.  Since the ammo I like to run is 127-128 PF, I'll try the white spring and see if that 1lbs less tension helps.  I also have the ZT guide rod and Wilson 13lbs flatwire spring to yet install.  I bought 4 springs so cutting a coil or two (or more) is the plan.

Edited by WxGuy

I'll keep working this piece of the puzzle; the slide lock.  I also noticed the spring is quite strong.  May have to give it some love when the time comes.  Where are those cool SF disassembly videos??

I have the Springco with the yellow spring and run weak PF loads too.  I can say for certain if my thumb is touching the slide release or if its goong forward completely on it’s own. Gun has a few thousand rounds through it.

Edited by Chrome308

I'll keep working this piece of the puzzle; the slide lock. 

What puzzle? The slide going forward after a slidelock reload is normal for mist autoloading pistols. The inertia from loading the magazine can dislodge the slidestop from the follower notch.

If you want to make the slide going forward more consistently, rounding or beveling the slide stop catch would be the way to go.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Copy on the beveling of the slide stop catch.  I have my CZs tailored to auto forward but on this gun I want to be very careful since parts are expensive and not so readily available.  I'm also going to modify a follower to see how much I can take off making the slide stop not have so much area contacting the slide.  That's what I mean by a "puzzle".  I'll go slow and put a lot more rounds down the pipe.

• 3 weeks later...
Copy on the beveling of the slide stop catch.  I have my CZs tailored to auto forward but on this gun I want to be very careful since parts are expensive and not so readily available.  I'm also going to modify a follower to see how much I can take off making the slide stop not have so much area contacting the slide.  That's what I mean by a "puzzle".  I'll go slow and put a lot more rounds down the pipe.
Auto forwarding will not increase wear to the gun or magazines...

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This is one gun I see no need for an autoforward on... The slide stop is literally a mile long. Big hands, small hands, people dropping the release with their weak thumb?

It works for pretty much everyone. I want 1911s and Tanfoglios and similar guns to auto-forward because manipulating the slide release is tedious at speed. On a PPQ it couldn’t be more consistent. Or easier.